PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Was this a Breakout Game by the Patriots Next Generation Defense?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Dynasty; said:
The Dolphins would have been leading 17-6 at the half, and had the momentum. The game would have been completely different if Henne didnt throw those 1st half INTS

And then it would have been 17-13 in 10 seconds to start the second half. And sorry you're not going to convince me Fish play calling on their next drive would have been that different vs being down 6, and we still get punt block and are up 20-17 and game pretty much unfolds similarly with panicky Fish offense.

I'm sorry, nothing personal more to all the doom and gloomers, but if I had such a hard time enjoying a 41-14 victory vs a division rival at home in prime time, I would reevaluate even bothering following sports.

Worry about the warts later and just enjoy a blowout road win.

And then it would have been 17-13 in 10 seconds to start the second half. And sorry you're not going to convince me Fish play calling on their next drive would have been that different vs being down 6, and we still get punt block and are up 20-17 and game pretty much unfolds similarly with panicky Fish offense.

I'm sorry, nothing personal more to all the doom and gloomers, but if I had such a hard time enjoying a 41-14 victory vs a division rival at home in prime time, I would reevaluate even bothering following sports.

Worry about the warts later and just enjoy a blowout road win.

I am not complaining about the win, it was big divisional game, national TV and on the road. A great win.

But, there is nothing wrong with pointing out some of the negatives. Do you think BB is going to say it was a perfect game?

You dont know that Tate would have ran the kick back if the Pats were down 17-6 at the half. Henne was the Pats MVP in the first half.

People are over reacting to the win. It definitely was not a 27 point victory. The game was closer than that, but still a very good win

Not every qb will be throwing 3 ints to us and we wont be blocking punts every week,there are some pretty darn good veteran QBs coming up next month...be happy right now but getting hard ons over this victory is a little excessive

Last edited:
I am not complaining about the win, it was big divisional game, national TV and on the road. A great win.

But, there is nothing wrong with pointing out some of the negatives. Do you think BB is going to say it was a perfect game?

You dont know that Tate would have ran the kick back if the Pats were down 17-6 at the half. Henne was the Pats MVP in the first half.

People are over reacting to the win. It definitely was not a 27 point victory. The game was closer than that, but still a very good win

Well I'm not gonna get all chaos theory with the permutations of what happens had those picked not happened but let's agree it's a much closer game with a more accurate score reflecting each teams' play, but a game the Pats still ultimately win.

Well I'm not gonna get all chaos theory with the permutations of what happens had those picked not happened but let's agree it's a much closer game with a more accurate score reflecting each teams' play, but a game the Pats still ultimately win.

Yes, I agree the Pats were going to win the game no matter what happened in the first half by the way they played in the 2nd half.

"This defense is the most bestest defense in the league!" "You're a chicken little if you say anything bad!"

You're right it does
Actually:
The Patriots went on the road in a divisional game against a team that is supposed to be a contender (and scored 23 vs the Jets and we inside the 10 at the end of the game) and forced 4 turnovers and allowed only 14 points.

You are ignorant if you think that is a bad performance.

See, here's the thing. Making foolish statements isn't refuted by pretending that people who disagree with your ridiculous characterization are saying the complete antithesis.

I think you arr capable making a better argument than holding your breath, kicking your feet and saying Mommy, no matter what I say the other kids tell me I'm wrong.

Let's not get too carried away. They still couldn't stop the Dolphins but for some horrible throws by their QB. I was glad, however, that the INTs came in the middle of the field, which has usually been vacant (as it was at least at the beginning of the game) with this D. In fact, I swore Henne was throwing there because he was surprised there was actually a linebacker covering that area of the field. He certainly watched plenty of tape where the Pats left that area of the field open.

We got a little better, but still have a long way to go. If the D can step it up like the special teams did, we'll be good to go.

"This defense is the most bestest defense in the league!" "You're a chicken little if you say anything bad!"

You're right it does
It's not that you're saying things I disagree with, it's that you're being incredibly petty and stupid about it. How old are you, like 13?

If you don't think the defense had anything to do with Henne's picks, you weren't paying attention. He didn't have the time to make good decisions.

These chicken littles are driving me nuts. Can't you just enjoy a win, for Christ's sake? We haven't won a game like this in years.

Why are people talking about how many points the Dolphins would have scored if it were not for Henne's INT's?

"Other than that, how was the play Mrs Lincoln?"

Who do you think forced those INT's? The defense. That is part of the game and the mark of an opportunistic defense. Ask the Saints from last year how a defense that makes big plays does.

Who give's a rats ass about yards? All that matters is the points on the board and last time I checked 14 points allowed is pretty good in this league.

Last edited:
I cant point out a part of the game where I was proud of the defense stuffing the offense.

That's an incredible statement. The McCourty stop on 4th down was an extraordinary play. If you weren't proud of that then can't imagine what it would take to impress you.

its good that we are going into the bye with a huge win right behind us

it means all the players, especially the young guys will be holding their heads up, will be smiling, and will be trying twice as hard at practice, and even in the next game

they now know what they are capable of doing, and that its just a matter of doing it, i just wished butler could have gotten in on the mix as well to increase his confidence too

"stats are for losers"- Bill Belichick

If the D can consistently create turnovers, I don't care how many yards they give up. Consistently, of course, being the key word; they haven't shown that they can do anything consistently yet. This is a pretty fantastic start, though.

Last edited:
I am very happy waking up to that score!

Not that either play would have affected the score, but McCourty was flying all over the place.

On that 4th down stop in the 4th quarter, I was pissed that they were going to convert until McCourty swooped in to make the play. I also remember on one pass to Marshall, he got knocked down by a block but popped up right away and when Marshall cut back, he was in position to make a solid tackle and knocked over Marshall effortlessly.

This kid has been amazing so far. I don't want to get too excited, but he continues to impress.

nah, I dont think so. They played well at the end, but really was more a Henne disaster . Our D was terrible in mid rage pass .

Nah, I wouldn't call it a breakout game. It was decent at best. There were still way too many big plays given up and the Dolphins gained almost 400 yards of offense. I do think that it will give a lot of players confidence going forward, and Mayo looked really good. Let's see what it looks like going forward. Chung loves primetime.

Last edited:
Let's not put the burden of a "breakout" expectation on them. As you point out, they did a lot of things better and are showing a lot more of the talent that many of us believe/hope is there. I think it's more likely, though, that there will be a few more "growing pains" games before the season is over.

But all in all, wow! Great game and a reason for a lot of hope, but let's not forget that "two steps forward, one step back" will probably be in the cards for a while for this D and let's not trash them when they have a "one step back" game.

Last edited:
Defense was soft. Bailed out by Ninkovich, special teams, and Henne.

Happy with the win, but the "d" is not impressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes