PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Was this a Breakout Game by the Patriots Next Generation Defense?

Status
Not open for further replies.
14 points is good defense, especially when you score 7 on D, plus 7 more on a punt block.
But you know, lets not let winning or losing get in the way of yardage statistics.

No kidding. I suspect there are a lot of folks who have difficulty understanding the difference between real football and fantasy stats. Sigh. :rolleyes:

Belichick will keep pushing buttons and the kids will listen.

Henne threw those picks because he the Pats were getting pressure on him each time. You can't just blame it on the QB, it's team defense.

I swear, there will always be a segment of Pats fans who will be as negative as possible.

Originally Posted by Rob0729
This defense will be a rollercoaster. It will have highs like this and possibly higher, but they will also have lows like the last few weeks.

Of course they will. What was pleasing for mine is that the defense and special teams made plays today. I'm still concerned with our pressure and blitzing. Confidence can't be understated and hopefully this D takes a little swagger from this game into the next.

Then again maybe BB knows how to draft and these kids are learning how to play and will just get better every week,.

No kidding. I suspect there are a lot of folks who have difficulty understanding the difference between real football and fantasy stats. Sigh. :rolleyes:

I didn't even look at the stats, we all saw Miami drive down the field at will, and we were fortunate enough that Ninko had himself a game.

I cant point out a part of the game where I was proud of the defense stuffing the offense. Henne's crappy 3 INT's was huge because they had absolutely no trouble moving the ball.

Just being realistic, I refuse to drink the kool aid and blindly convince myself the defense played well. Like I said, the 14 points really wasnt indicative of how poor the defense played again.

but of course I'm just one of those haters because I'm saying something negative about the team :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Physically, this was just an important step in the right direction. Psychologically this was huge. This cannot be underestimated.

Agreed. The points allowed are the only stats Bill cares about. He's said that time and time again.

I didn't even look at the stats, we all saw Miami drive down the field at will, and we were fortunate enough that Ninko had himself a game.

I cant point out a part of the game where I was proud of the defense stuffing the offense. Henne's crappy 3 INT's was huge because they had absolutely no trouble moving the ball.

Just being realistic, I refuse to drink the kool aid and blindly convince myself the defense played well. Like I said, the 14 points really wasnt indicative of how poor the defense played again.

but of course I'm just one of those haters because I'm saying something negative about the team :rolleyes:
I can think of a ton of plays where I felt proud of the defense. This message board sucks.

Keyser Söze; said:

The fourth down stop by the D was a good play. I agree had the pats played the exact same game vs Peyton Manning or Rivers the game would be a lot closer. But the good news is that most qbs they play will be similar to Henne and not those two and thus can be counted on for a handful of ill advised throws. If the pats can capitalize on those plays (same way they did back in the day) then the kids will be alright.

but of course I'm just one of those haters because I'm saying something negative about the team

How many times did you see the Dolphins get into the endzone? just saying...

I can think of a ton of plays where I felt proud of the defense. This message board sucks.

"This defense is the most bestest defense in the league!" "You're a chicken little if you say anything bad!"

You're right it does

They're Red Sox fans and they can't stand it that the Sox suck so they take it out on the Pats who are rapidly becoming #1 in Boston.

This D showed a further step in their maturation. They will still have rookie games, but the upward path is clear. BB can build on this game. Speed and talent are very coach friendly.

Agreed. The points allowed are the only stats Bill cares about. He's said that time and time again.

I think he is a little concerned with giving up 400 yards of total offense. It wasnt perfect by any stretch of the imagination. As a unit I would still say that they are a poor tackling team. Realistically the Dolphins should have had atleast 17 points in the 1st half without Henne's INTs. I hate to say it but I think Henne had more to do with those INTs than the Pats forcing them. While it was a big step in the right direction, there are still things that need to be addressed

I don't think I would term their play as great but they did play much much better.

The Dynasty; said:
I think he is a little concerned with giving up 400 yards of total offense. It wasnt perfect by any stretch of the imagination. As a unit I would still say that they are a poor tackling team. Realistically the Dolphins should have had atleast 17 points in the 1st half without Henne's INTs. I hate to say it but I think Henne had more to do with those INTs than the Pats forcing them. While it was a big step in the right direction, there are still things that need to be addressed

Good point. Then they'd only have lost 41-24.;)

Excuse me? 400 yards given up? Hope this isn't the next gen. Defense.

Give up 1000, who cares? I'm more concerned with how many point they gave up. Today they only gave up 7 (well 14 actually, but they got a few of those back ;) ). Seriously, you will be frustrated watching this defense at times, and judging by tonight, there will be other times you'll love it. I'll take a D that gives up a net 7 to a division rival on the road every day of the week. I don't care how ugly it is to watch.

Sorry dude, but the opponents score at the end of the game is exactly indicative of how the defense played. You have watched this sport before, right? :confused:

Last edited:

Teams that drive down the field at will score more than 14 points.
If you take the ball away from them, they cannot score.

Good point. Then they'd only have lost 41-24.;)

The Dolphins would have been leading 17-6 at the half, and had the momentum. The game would have been completely different if Henne didnt throw those 1st half INTS

Definately feeling good about them tonight. As young as they are they will be getting better as the season goes on. Hopefully this is a breakout game to build upon. We will have to wait and see. This is a defense that gave up 30 points to Buffalo and looked terrible in the 2nd half vs the Jets. I liked the new cb, I was suprised how well he played.

Definately feeling good about them tonight. As young as they are they will be getting better as the season goes on. Hopefully this is a breakout game to build upon. We will have to wait and see. This is a defense that gave up 30 points to Buffalo and looked terrible in the 2nd half vs the Jets. I liked the new cb, I was suprised how well he played.

The new CB? Who? Do you mean RB and Woodhead?

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes