PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Was it a mistake in letting Kelley Washington go?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Put aside what he is doing on offense this year. He would be great to have on special teams and as a solid blocker on offense, with the occasional catch. Mostly, I think we miss him on special teams, outside of the Buffalo game we have s*cked in the coverage game. Hopefully that will get fixed. Some teams are probably ahead of the curve in the return game because of the new wedge rules.

It wasn't that KW couldn't cut it as a WR with us. We just had better WRs. Gaffney and Stallworth are #2's on many teams.

Kelly returns to Foxboro this week and I really do miss him as he was a stalwart on STs and aside of Izzo,he was the heart of STs when he was here and always played returns well,but he was not really a part of the receiving corps with Moss,Welker and Gaffney getting the big roles.

Did the team give Kelly enough of a chance to prove himself from a WR standpoint?,I think he would have been a solid #3 this season although his stats in Cincy were poor.

I think it would have worked out in the long run as he is having a productive start in Baltimore with averaging nearly 60 yards per game when given the chance - Maybe he fits better on Baltimore but I cannot at this time in 3 weeks after seeing what has transpired that signing Galloway and cutting Greg Lewis and Washington was a better decision.

as a WR....he obviously did not fit the belichick prototype.....but he is fitting into another teams schemes quite well.....Lewis....same thing....didn't catch on to our O fast enough and they drop him.....goes to another team with offensive schemes he is very familiar with...and he is very successful.......so in answer to your question....in BB we trust ;)

Washington never had a chance with the Bengals because he was stuck behind a player than known as Chad Johnson, TJ Houshmandzadeh, and Chris Henry; the few times he got the ball thrown his way when one of those three was injured (or suspended) he did okay. Then he came to the Patriots coming off a season featuring Reche Caldwell as Brady's number one target. Unfortunately for Kelley, Randy Moss, Wes Welker, and Dante Stallworth joined Jabar Gaffney at receiver and Washington only saw the field on special teams.

Last year Washington didn't do a whole lot even on special teams due in large part to injuries. There was no reason to second guess the decision to not re-sign him at the time. Nobody else was falling over themselves to sign Washington other then the Ravens, one of the weakest teams in the NFL at WR heading into the '09 season. And after just three games it is far too early to assume the decision to let him walk was the wrong one for the Pats.

If Brady's timing and throws have been off with all the other receivers, why would one assume that every pass he threw to Washington would be caught if he was still here?

Brandon Tate, Sam Aikin, and what's the name of that fellow on the practice squad, Nunn? Not to mention Edelman. We don't have a wide receiver problem. When Tom is right, we are just fine.

will tate be ready this year? don't think so.......Will Sam Aiken hang onto the ball better when he gets his chances?...let's hope so.....I think Nunn could be a serious sleeper on this offense.....he showed great instincts in the preseason and came down with some sick catches......Edelman has been very good in spurts and in time could do something similiar to what Welk provides (of course will never be "the" Welker...only one of them.....but Edelman will be able to do some good things in the slot.....Galloway....sands in the hourglass are dropping.....If he drops one more damned ball I think BB will drop him!

as a WR....he obviously did not fit the belichick prototype.....but he is fitting into another teams schemes quite well.....Lewis....same thing....didn't catch on to our O fast enough and they drop him.....goes to another team with offensive schemes he is very familiar with...and he is very successful.......so in answer to your question....in BB we trust ;)

He did'nt fit in that well with the 07 Pats, but he would have fit in nicely as bigger body WR on the 01-03 squad. 07 and today it's all about the backside reciever in the 2x1. Everything runs through the slot and that backside guy has gotta be a burner and make some plays. In 01thru say 04 this offense lived on a steady diet of moving the chains with WR whom were'nt quick but who used their body to get open and shield the ball(givens). Or do some dirty work blocking with some slip screens or bubble screens to spring the little guys. He would have had a job on those teams.

Last edited:
It was a financial decision to let Washington go. I understood it but was not particularly happy about it at the time, as I have always liked Washington and thought he was a great STer and potential WR for us. I'm happy to see him do well in Baltimore (except against us).

Do I wish we had kept him? Yes. Was letting him go the right move to make given our cap situation at the time? Probably also yes. Tough call.

If you check my old posts on KW, I was a big fan of his. I thought he had alot of potential at WR, and always hoped they'd play him more. I loved his ST play. Two years ago in lead the team in ST tackles. When he was cut, I simply said 'the team doesn't like him as much as I do'. Move on. I've moved on.

This is getting ridiculous... yes : Galloway is having problems... but to say that any one of us would have kept Lewis, Washington, and friends over someone of galloway's résumé is completely off base. Let's get real.

Respectfully, I'm not one of those bashing Galloway. The verdict is still out. But, I don't think it's "ridiculous" if there are folks that would have preferred our best Special Teamer, who is younger, is familiar with the system, and would have cost less, to somebody who's about to turn 38, is coming off a 13 catch/0 TD season, was injured a bunch last year, never played in a timing system, and cost more.

It's far from ridiculous. He's not Jerry Rice in his prime. I still hope he blossoms with the Pats, but there certainly was an argument to go either way.

I'm glad for Washington, but you can't just assume that Washington would be as productive in NE's system had he stayed. He had his chance here and didn't make an impact on offense. He was a good ST player, but Aiken already has that role and you aren't going to keep two WR for the purely ST role.

Washington seems to have found a good fit in Baltimore and is helping his new team. Good for him and them. However, he didn't fit as well in the NE offense, and I doubt it would have changed at all if he stayed.

Last edited:
To be fair, some of us were wondering WTF? way back in 2007 when he was signed—and that was before they got Moss.

I agree. I think that we are fine a wide receiver without bringing back our #5 receiver from last year. Did he have 6 catches in the last two years?

#5 RECEIVER/STER: WASHINGTON OR AIKEN
Washington was our #5 receiver and a special teamer. Aiken was our #4 receiver and a special teamer and was ahead of Washington at both special teams and as a receiver. Belichick decided that only one was needed. I agree with the decision. Aiken was brought in to be the sepcial teams leader and has done fine in that role.

#3 RECEIVER: GAFFNEY or GALLOWAY/LEWIS
There have been many posts about Gaffney who averaged 1 catch per game for his first 20 games and who was an adequate #3. I was fine with bringing in Galloway. Even if it doesn't work out, it was a reasonable choice. Besides we also had Lewis as the #4 who could be in the mix as needed. The #3 spot was well-covered by replacing Gaffney with Galloway and Lewis as receivers.

#4 RECEIVER: LEWIS or EDELMAN or NUNN or TATE
As a bonus, Edelman beat out Lewis for his roster spot and is in the mix to have lots of reps if there are injuries. And as another option, we have the possibility of adding Tate or Nunn to the squad.

Pretty much. It was him or Aiken and Aiken cost slightly less money while offering more in the receiving game (at the time). Instead Aiken assumes the role of ST captain.

Kelly returns to Foxboro this week and I really do miss him as he was a stalwart on STs and aside of Izzo,he was the heart of STs when he was here and always played returns well,but he was not really a part of the receiving corps with Moss,Welker and Gaffney getting the big roles.

Did the team give Kelly enough of a chance to prove himself from a WR standpoint?,I think he would have been a solid #3 this season although his stats in Cincy were poor.

I think it would have worked out in the long run as he is having a productive start in Baltimore with averaging nearly 60 yards per game when given the chance - Maybe he fits better on Baltimore but I cannot at this time in 3 weeks after seeing what has transpired that signing Galloway and cutting Greg Lewis and Washington was a better decision.

Kelly Washington = Sam Aikens. Both are special teamers. Not Galloway or Lewis. The real question should be, was it the right decision to cut Greg Lewis and retain Galloway?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe