PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wade Phillips provides Pats with extra motivation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Wade Phillips provides Pats with extra motivation.

King putting such inflammatory words in a coach's mouth
can only help that poor coach's opponent.

Phillips must be livid!

This game should be fun
... but - after this - it isn't in doubt.

King putting such inflammatory words in a coach's mouth
can only help that poor coach's opponent.

Phillips must be livid!

This game should be fun
... but - after this - it isn't in doubt.

Didn't help the Jets with Belichicks non-existent comments on Kerry Rhodes. I think most rational people realize King is a drama queen.

I agree on this. Phillips is an ass but he's got other things to worry about in any given week where the Patriots are not the opponent. This is Peter King being Peter King.

The Patriots don't need any more motivation when it comes to Wade Phillips after the guy acted like a complete maniac when the Chargers beat the Pats at home in '05. You'll never see a Chargers fan mention it when talking about how "classy" they are but I guess it's easy to understand why you'd want to forget a season where you miss the playoffs because you couldn't beat the Dolphins.
not true, i mentioned it on my board quite a bit after learning of the stupidity of my team

Don't forget Wade Phillips was the one who said "That was a good old fashioned ass-whoopin" after the Chargers beat the Pats at Gillette :D

not true, i mentioned it on my board quite a bit after learning of the stupidity of my team

small world :p

MrTibbs posted this in a new thread. It fits here.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/

Peter King dropped a pretty big bomb on HBO's Inside the NFL last night, mentioning that Wade Phillips wonders how much Bill Belichick's cheating aided the Patriots' dynasty.

"You know, 5 and 0 New England against 5 and 0 Dallas. The league, the Patriots, everybody, they just want this Spygate thing to go away. But Wade Phillips this week told me something that I think a lot of coaches around the league and a lot of people around the league are still thinking and that is, 'Hey, New England was caught cheating and it is a black mark on their success.'
"There is no doubt in my mind that it is and more and more people around the league are starting to say, "Why did this thing just go away? Why didn't it get more traction?'"

Phillips, however, accused King of putting words in his mouth.

"I didn't say that at all," Phillips said during today's press conference. "I think they would have won no matter what. I have no idea that it even helped them. They were a great football team, well coached. I don't see any way they wouldn't have won what they did.

"I don't think that at all, and I don't know why Peter would say that. Maybe he thinks that."

UPDATE: An HBO spokesman said King stands by his report.

and tommorow when king comes on they will do nothing

Different show. For some reason Dale N Holley softball their guests, and then look like fools if they actually ask a tough question. The big show, for all their yelling, actually do a great interview. I remember Big O talking about starting the 'coffee with the coach' segment every Monday during the pats season. (they do it live from gillette) and how he told BB that 'i have to ask all the questions, that's my job....you (BB) don't have to answer them though. He said BB has never backed down from anything or complained off the air. They said some people/teams will say 'we'll do the interview, but you can't do this', but the pats and BB have never said anything like that.

The big show was actually ripping dale n holley yesterday because they won't do a real interview with King, and keep soft-balling him. King would never go on the big show because he knows that big o, smerlas, deossie, and shepherd would take him to town.

and tommorow when king comes on they will do nothing
Well let us see what Dale and Holley do...I already sent an e-mail to them telling them how embarrassing they were with Collingsworth and that I wasn't sure they had the guts to confront King...maybe others should do the same..
King is a hypocrit and total A***le and I think he has a hidden agenda that is fueling this..

I always love when other teams give us another reason to play for, but I don't think we really need it to win this game. If people think we beat some weak teams this year, you should look and see who Dallas has played. The Patriots have played way tougher teams than Dallas. After Monday night we know that Dallas gets rattled real easy. The Buffalo defense had Dallas rattled pretty much all game. Wait until they play against us. I wouldn't doubt to see us smash Dallas worse than any other team we have this year. The only reason why I think we don't is because of BB's game plan of clock management. I know that is part of every game plan, but I think we will see a lot of Maroney/Morris. While Dallas prepares for the Brady/Moss, BB is planing to destroy them with the run. When Dallas does see our commitment to run, that will still open up the occasional deep threat. Dallas isn't that good of a team, and I think the Media has hyped them up to be better than they are. Even so, we have way to many weapons. We have a plan A,B, and C. We can beat them with plan C.

Who else thinks that Wade Phillips probably hasn't spent two seconds thinking about the whole spygate incident in weeks and only commented on it because Peter King won't let it die and asked a direct question on it? Who else thinks that any quote either King or Collinsworth have been getting recently on the who Spygate thing are not unsolicited comments, but only comments given because they are too interested in keeping this story alive by proding whoever in the league for more comments?

It is funny that the only people who seem to be getting any new feedback around the league about Spygate are the guys who refuse to let it die. If King and Collinsworth weren't leading a two man crusade to keep this thing going, only fringe writers like Easterbrook would still be talking about this.

By the way, where were King and Collinsworth when the Broncos got caught cheating giving Elway an illegal contract so they didn't have to cut a key player to get Elway under contract? Both were analyst for the league at that time, but I never saw either so vigilalent to keep that story alive.

Amen! I agree on the Bronco's cheating comment. And don't forget the 49er's were also found guilty of tampering and salary cap violations. Gee, I wonder if all this hoopla is EMOTIONALLY DRIVEN? By emotionally driven, I am referrig to the widespread disdain for Bill Belichick and the general envy of the Patriots. Otherwise, how can this be explained?

I challenge King, Costas, Easterbrooks or Collinsworth to discuss this question. Put it to the public and and ask them,

"Why are we making this big a deal out of videogate while virtually nothing was ever written about the 49er's and Bronco's Salary Cap violations?"

Do any of you have any theories?

Last edited:

Peter King just won't shut up about this. I can't believe it, it's almost like he's writing about something more important than football.

It's the Woodward and Bernstein effect. Some of these guys dreamed about being Washington reporters and such. Now they're stuck trying to find different adjectives to describe some team beating some other team.

All of a sudden, they're freakin' investigative reporters! They just can't let it go. Anybody that's got to pad his column with girls softball and what kind of lard he put on his coffee is obviously bored of sports anyway.

I challenge King, Costas, Easterbrooks or Collinsworth to discuss this question. Put it to the public and and ask them,

"Why are we making this big a deal out of videogate while virtually nothing was ever written about the 49er's and Bronco's Salary Cap violations?"

Do any of you have any theories?

It's not that hard to figure, since all of them (King, Collinsworth, and Easterbrook) have all cited their reasoning - basically that "too many 'top league people' in various teams" have made assertions about much worse going on. They believe these "experts" because they have no facts, but more because it matches their sense of "smell test" - PFT said it best "this much smoke has to mean fire."

What they fail to understand is that their "expert sources" have two logical reasons to be so universally wrong:

1. Ignorance - These "experts" are envious, distrustful, and generally don't understand the Patriots to begin with. Compare what the same "experts" said about Randy Moss or Corey Dillon, or even Mike Vrable when he came here. So if they can't get that basic stuff right, how can they have any insight into this?

2. Reputation - I believe the Pats/BB has intentionally allowed (or even stoked) a reputation as "we're up to something" so that teams are so worried about all these things they fail to see what the Pats are actually doing. It's not a major campaign or anything, either. It's the same as not releasing injury info until the last possible moment required. Let the other guys think and worry about whatever they want. This lack of refutation feeds the rumor mongering (compare to "Belichick is leaving town this year" or "Brady is upset about..." or anything else).

Finally, they all tend to adopt a "silence equals consent" world view. Belichick and the Pats are just so fundamentally different than any other team when it comes to being attacked. The entire rest of the league would make statements, at least go off the record, whatever - because they all think PR matters at some level. Belichick and the Pats organization has been well trained in Boston to simply not respond in any way. The Local guys understand that that's just their way, but the National guys see that and think "wow, they must be hunkered down big time to not say ANYthing about this?! something must be up..."

Who else thinks that Wade Phillips probably hasn't spent two seconds thinking about the whole spygate incident in weeks and only commented on it because Peter King won't let it die and asked a direct question on it? Who else thinks that any quote either King or Collinsworth have been getting recently on the who Spygate thing are not unsolicited comments, but only comments given because they are too interested in keeping this story alive by proding whoever in the league for more comments?

It is funny that the only people who seem to be getting any new feedback around the league about Spygate are the guys who refuse to let it die. If King and Collinsworth weren't leading a two man crusade to keep this thing going, only fringe writers like Easterbrook would still be talking about this.

By the way, where were King and Collinsworth when the Broncos got caught cheating giving Elway an illegal contract so they didn't have to cut a key player to get Elway under contract? Both were analyst for the league at that time, but I never saw either so vigilalent to keep that story alive.

Right on!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft