PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Vinatraitor Colts Missing Piece?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATSNUTme

Paranoid Homer ex-moderator
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Well the morons at ESPN are at it again. Yesterday Sean Salisbury and John, the goober, Clayton were asked if Adam V. was the "missing piece" for the Colts to win the SuperBowl.

Both of these idiots agree whole heartedly - Vinatraitor was the missing piece.

So, let's refresh our memories about the Colts "missing pieces".

2003 season- missing piece was calling illegal contact
2004 season- missing piece was getting home field advantage after getting the rule for illegal contact enforced.
2005 season- missing piece- needed that clutch kicker to win a homefield advatage game played with illegal contct rules enforced.

2006 season- Missing piece ????- there will be one- what will it be? Still having "protection issues"?

Th colts need to learn how to play hard contact playoff football against talented Ds like Pittsburgh and NE. Then they also need to step up their own D to playoff excellence. They might just want to work on pass protection a bit as well.

I see the SB Champs Pittsburgh as favored to repeat this year. My hope is that BB once again disects Rottenburger's game and we beat them in the AFC Championship game again.

In the past three years, I didn't feel like going back further, the Colts have lost 4 games by three points or less. Two get the attention, the opener against us in 2004 and last year's playoff game. The other two close losses, Vanderjagt was perfect on the day. The point is, the Colts don't play close games. Plus Vanderjagt was great in the regular season.

The only was Vinatraitor helps them is in a close, pressure situation and the odds that he'll make the difference just aren't very good. He'll look good on the sidelines, though, while the Colts go for TDs and allow TDs. Of course, they may play some closer games now with Addai as their RB instaead of Edge :)

The bottom line is that Vinatraitor could make all the difference if they need a pressure, playoff kick. But the probability of them needing one isn't great. In their last 7 playoffs games, only last year's vs. Pittsburgh was decided by less than 7 points.

Last edited by a moderator:
Colts:
Upgraded their kicking game
Lost Edge
Lost ket defensive players
Draft was a B- at best

Pats:
Younger, faster,simply better
Upgraded running game
D/Backfield will improve simply with new players, experience and health

Bottom line - Pats offseason far outshines Colts

fgssand said:
Bottom line - Pats offseason far outshines Colts
Losing Edge rules because 1) it downgraded the Colts and 2) it forced them to use their #1 pick on offense.

Well, it didn't force them to use the #1 on offense but they chose to as a result of losing Edge. But they were able to upgrade from the most accurate kicker in NFL history on the off chance they play a vey close playoff game.

PATSNUTme said:
Well the morons at ESPN are at it again. Yesterday Sean Salisbury and John, the goober, Clayton were asked if Adam V. was the "missing piece" for the Colts to win the SuperBowl.

2004 season- missing piece was getting home field advantage after getting the rule for illegal contact enforced.
2005 season- missing piece- needed that clutch kicker to win a homefield advatage game played with illegal contct rules enforced.

2006 season- Missing piece ????- there will be one- what will it be? Still having "protection issues"?

Far be for me to disagree with Dr Nut but,.....The missing pieces are a pair of them, that Manning loses at every high stakes game. Simple as that!

Prognosticators-Smognosticators

Let them keep picking Miami, Indianapolis, Houston, Jacksonville and whoever.

This team will be better and HUNGRY again.

I choose to put more credence in the Las Vegas oddsmakers.

If Dillon regains his health he will have a nasty chip on his shoulder. I look for him to have a great year.

We just need the offensive line to improve and we are in like Flynn!!

I didn't see the ESPN piece to which you refer, but I find it very easy to believe those two morons were as nauseating as you report. The Colts' "missing piece" is a QB that has choked in big games all throughout his college and prop career. He's incredible against Vanderbilt or the Houston Texans, but stinks in the big games. People love to blame Indy's defense, but consider the following...

The Colts defense played very well against the Patriots in January, 2004. But Manning through 4 picks and they lost.

The Colts defense played reasonably well against the Patriots in January, 2005. But Manning scored all of 3 points and they lost.

The Colts defense played well against the Steelers in January, 2006. But Peyton Manning went out and played 57 minutes of some of the worst QBing you will ever see - and then he blamed his offensive linemen afterwards.

PatsWickedPissah said:
Th colts need to learn how to play hard contact playoff football against talented Ds like Pittsburgh and NE. Then they also need to step up their own D to playoff excellence. They might just want to work on pass protection a bit as well.

I see the SB Champs Pittsburgh as favored to repeat this year. My hope is that BB once again disects Rottenburger's game and we beat them in the AFC Championship game again.

Pittsburgh got hot at the right time last year. They were 6th seed and that probably isn't far off from where they should have been. They are a contender, but I don't see them as the favorite by any stretch.

In defense of Vanderjagt he didn't get any help from his QB...

His most notable chokes are the missed 48-YD FG in Foxboro in the 2004 opener and the 46-YD FG he missed in the AFC DIV loss to the Steelers. Both kicks would have sent the game into OT.

In each of those games Peyton set his kicker up for failure. In the Foxboro game, the Colts were already in good FG range when Peyton didn't read the blitz and McGinest sacked him for a loss of 12 yards and a 26-YD FG becomes a 48-YD attempt. Rookie QBs are taught that you don't take a sack in that situation. Yet Vanderjagt becomes the goat. Vandy compounded his own problem when he foolishly flashed the "money" sign at the Pats sideline, thus looking like a jackass afterwards. Vandy's miss coupled with his goofy antics provided enough cover for the fair-haired QB to escape blame.

About last season's home loss to Pittsburgh. To say that the fair-haired QB could have done a much better job moving the ball down field from his own 42 with a minute and 3 TOs left, is an understatement. Instead of relying on a 46-yard FG attempt, Manning could have helped his kicker by getting the 1st down on 2nd and 2 at the Pitt 28, with 31 seconds left and two TOs remaining. At this point, the Steelers defense understood the situation and played for the deep ball in the end zone (OT is better than a loss - Peyton didn't seem to grasp this truism). Yet, what did the FHQB do? He takes two shots at the endzone and forces his kicker to make a 46-YD FG attempt. I don't think Vanderjagt misses a chip shot.

At the present time, Pollian is snickering about snatching AV from the Pats, Vanderjagt is in Dallas, and the pundits are getting silly over the Colts again. Adam was 4-8 in FGAs of 40+ YDS in 2005. The Colts had better hope this isn't the beginning of a trend. You know the FHQB isn't going to help.

Last edited:
Vinatieri would have been the missing piece last season and that's a fact. As for this season? I think Edge was the missing piece and let him walk right out the door. Morons. :rocker:

PATSNUTme said:

Ignoring th obvious, he missing piece is something called a "Defense". They are obviously convinced they don't need one since they allowed two small pieces better than most of what they have to leave in FA. Larry Triplett was their only DL who came remotely close to NFL dimensions at 280 #. Others are just rediculous like DE Robert Mathis at 225# in full pads. David Thornton was their only LB that is not severely undersized and under talented; he left in FA too...

When you score 40 points a game, you can afford to have a pass rush only D; they don't have that anymore as the mighty O is showing signs of lots of cracks. The O-line started cracking in 2005, as they cut all their depth in a cap saving mode, in order to Paymeaton. Now a mighty canyon opened with the loss of a franchise back in Edge James. It takes more than some sklill position receivers and a QB to have a League leading O. The other RBs s are complementary guys to enhance a franchse back, but they can't and won't carry the load themselves.

It is my experience that when an Offensive oriented team slows down even a little, the fall is precipitous as in "off a cliff". Examples: KC from 13-3 to 3-13; the "GSOT" Rams from SB to out of the Playoffs; any of the Air Coreyell teams when their O's cooled.

My bold prediction is that the Colts fall far and hard and are not even a good competition to the Jax Jags who cruise to the AFCS division championship. Every year there is one "power" that flops; this is my selection for that dubious honor. They are proped up by the four games with the Texans and Titans however.

Last edited:
huskeralk said:
Vinatieri would have been the missing piece last season and that's a fact. As for this season? I think Edge was the missing piece and let him walk right out the door. Morons. :rocker:

How is it a fact that Vinatraitor was the missing piece for Colts last year?

Are you referring to the playoff game? If Bettis hadn't fumbled it would have been a rout.

How do we know, for a fact, that A. V. would have made the FG?
Maybe it's a feeling you have but feelings are not facts.

PATSNUTme said:
How is it a fact that Vinatraitor was the missing piece for Colts last year?

Are you referring to the playoff game? If Bettis hadn't fumbled it would have been a rout.

How do we know, for a fact, that A. V. would have made the FG?
Maybe it's a feeling you have but feelings are not facts.

Okay, it's not a fact but if the Patriots were in that game and it was Vinatieri lining up for the FG would you have any doubt that he would make the kick? I know you hate the guy now but you have to give the devil his due, he would have made the kick and more than likely the Colts would have been in the super bowl.

huskeralk said:
Okay, it's not a fact but if the Patriots were in that game and it was Vinatieri lining up for the FG would you have any doubt that he would make the kick? I know you hate the guy now but you have to give the devil his due, he would have made the kick and more than likely the Colts would have been in the super bowl.

I never understand why when a guy misses a kick or throws an INT trying to tie the game, people then say they would have won if he made it.

In this case, apparently they would not only have won that game but the next week as well. No doubt this is based on the tremendous mental and physical toughness the Colts have always shown in pressure spots during the Manning era.

dhamz said:
I never understand why when a guy misses a kick or throws an INT trying to tie the game, people then say they would have won if he made it.

In this case, apparently they would not only have won that game but the next week as well. No doubt this is based on the tremendous mental and physical toughness the Colts have always shown in pressure spots during the Manning era.

Nevermind, I was thinking they were only down by 2 at the time.

Last edited:
PATSNUTme said:

The missing piece is the refs. Next year the Colts should get the refs from the superbowl on their side.

The reason they don't win is they aren't tough enough to win. They aren't mentally tough but just as important they aren't physically tough. They get pushed around every year in the playoffs. Their 230 pound guys on the front 7 get pushed all over the field against physical teams in January.

PatsChick87 said:
Far be for me to disagree with Dr Nut but,.....The missing pieces are a pair of them, that Manning loses at every high stakes game. Simple as that!

Now that every media outlet on the face of the earth give out their draft grades, Dr. Nut has retired. Or, maybe semi-retired in case there is still someone who hasn't give their draft grades yet.

huskeralk said:

You would have to assume that the snap was good, the hold was good, and the kick was good. You would also have to assume that there were no penalties that made the kick that much longer.

That is a lot of assuming going on. So yes, I do always have some doubts when AV or any other kicker lines up for a game tying of winning kick. There is only one good thing that can happen and several bad things that can happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News