Vernon Davis runs a 4.38!

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by FreeTedWilliams, Feb 27, 2006.

1. FreeTedWilliams

FreeTedWilliams I'm no Mona Lisa Vito.... PatsFans.com Supporter

#75 Jersey

4.38 for a TE! He was already the #1 TE in the draft. Do you think he has just put himself in the top five of the draft? I can't see him lasting longer than the seventh pick or so.
    http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/9270956

2. dryheat44

dryheat44 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

#11 Jersey

He just blew away the TE field in all measurables. Nobody was even hanging close to him. Very impressive.

3. broadwayjoe

broadwayjoe In the Starting Line-Up

Thats very impressive and brings up a question I would like to ask and that is
    Whats the highest a Tight End has been taken in the draft.

4. dryheat44

dryheat44 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

#11 Jersey

KW2 went sixth I think. I don't recall anybody going higher that that.

5. broadwayjoe

broadwayjoe In the Starting Line-Up

Thanks Dryheat for some reason I have already forgot about Kellen Winslow II and I would never make that statement about his dad.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2006
  6. borisman

borisman On the Game Day Roster

What did Davis measure for height and weight?? He won't go in the top 10 if he's under 6'3.

It's discrimination, I know.

7. drew4008

drew4008 In the Starting Line-Up

6"3.5 and about 255.

8. borisman

Ahh, a Daniel Graham clone.

St. Louis must be drooling. I can see them being explosive again with this kid as long as the defense can get off the field.

9. sieglo

sieglo In the Starting Line-Up

What did Graham run the 40 in?

10. The Gr8est

The Gr8est In the Starting Line-Up

(Switching to Postons mode)

"Hypothetically speaking, the New York Jets said that they would have drafted Kellen Winslow #1 overall if they had the #1 pick.

He's a soldier, the Chosen One!"

11. borisman

Graham ran a 4.65 or something.

I meant he's the same size as Graham(6'3 260). He's(Davis) just faster than 90% of the receivers in this years' draft.

12. Digger44

Digger44 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Didnt Watson come close to a 4.40? He still lasted till late.

13. fisticuffs

fisticuffs Rookie

Daniel Graham ran a 4.48 according to CNNSI Draft! Watson ran a 4.4! While these aren't entirely accurate, I do recall in '02 people taking about how Graham did run a sub 4.5 40. Watson, as we all know, ran a 4.4 40.

Now with this Vernan Davis guy....We thought Watson is a freak, Davis is ridiculous. 4.38? Wow! If I'm the Rams, Packers (Remember how well Favre did with Chumura at TE.), Bills or Lions ( Wait, Davis would qualify as another reciever that the Lions took in the first round. Alright scratch that.) These teams should really take a look at this player. I think TE's are a little bit overlooked in today's NFL. If he can block, catch balls, and contribute on special teams, Davis could very well be more valuable then say a WR in this year's draft.

Alright, Davis will not last after the 15th pick at the most, and if he does, the Pats will take him with the 21st pick :)

14. fgssand

fgssand PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

#12 Jersey

We don't need no stinkin wide outs - we corner the market on tight ends!! Trip tight ends wide on 2...

15. Bobs My Uncle

Bobs My Uncle PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

#12 Jersey

Here are Watson's combines #'s from 2004 and Davis' from this year.

I was a huge fan of Watson prior to the combine but when Watson put up these #'s he catapulted to the top of my Pats wish list. It appears as though Davis has bettered Watson's freakish totals.

Watson

6-3 1/2, 258#
    Wonderlic 41
    40 - 4.50s
    reps of 225#'s - 34
    Cone - 7.38s
    20 yd shuttle - 4.11s
    broadjump - 10'3"
    vertical - 35.5"

Davis

6-3 3/4, 254#
    Wonderlic ?
    40 - 4.38s
    reps of 225#'s - 33
    Cone - 7.00s
    20 yd shuttle - 4.17s
    broadjump - 10'8"
    vertical - 42"

16. patsfan55

patsfan55 In the Starting Line-Up

#95 Jersey

i remember after we picked him someone compared his combine numbers to winslow's, and all but maybe one were better