PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Vereen is back in the house.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vereen could potentially be a MASSIVE part of our offense.

His style reminds me of a younger, faster, stronger Kevin Faulk.

The RB situation should be very interesting this year. Lots of touches to go around. I'd say by the end of the year, we'll see Vereen primarily on 3rd/passing downs, Woodhead/Ridley on early downs, and BJGE as the closer/goal line back. And come playoff time, they'll all be lemony fresh.

Thing i like about him is his name is so rhyme able....shane vereen, touchdown machine...shane vereen mean green jelly bean. See?

I prefer Shane Vereen, buries the Green Beans. :p

The RB situation should be very interesting this year. Lots of touches to go around. I'd say by the end of the year, we'll see Woodhead primarily on 3rd/passing downs, Vereen/Ridley on early downs, and BJGE as the closer/goal line back. And come playoff time, they'll all be lemony fresh.

Fixed that for you. . . .

Thing i like about him is his name is so rhyme able....shane vereen, touchdown machine...shane vereen mean green jelly bean. See?

You mean ryhme able like SanAngeloState always in a debate or SanAngeloState with the opinion some hate? :cool:

Last edited:
The RB situation should be very interesting this year. Lots of touches to go around. I'd say by the end of the year, we'll see Vereen primarily on 3rd/passing downs, Woodhead/Ridley on early downs, and BJGE as the closer/goal line back. And come playoff time, they'll all be lemony fresh.

What I like about Vereen and Ridley is that they both seem to have 3-down potential. Vereen doesn't have classic bell-cow size, but he's not just a little water bug, either. Think Tiki Barber + 5 lbs. He showed surprising power running inside in college.

Fixed that for you. . . .
What's your reason for putting Woodhead in that role? Seems to me the drafting of Vereen insinuates that the Pats don't view Woody as a 3rd down back.

Last edited:
What's your reason for putting Woodhead in that role? Seems to me the drafting of Vereen insinuates that the Pats don't view Woody as a 3rd down back.

I don't really follow you. You think that drafting a guy who's bigger than Woodhead but not quite as fast is a sign Woodhead should be playing on 1st downs instead of 3rd? :confused:

Last edited:
Vereen is virtually a Kevin Faulk clone. Yes, he is indeed bigger and stronger than Woody, which would make him a better candidate for pass protection (ie: 3rd/passing downs). Add the fact that he is capable of catching the ball out of the backfield, and you've got yourself a 3rd down back.

Not to mention we saw what happened to Woody on special teams the other night. I think it's best if he tries to avoid contact, a la those shifty little runs he provides.

I'd rather see him play a few meaningful games in a Patriots uniform against NFL caliber talent before having him replace Woodhead who had one of the highest YPC averages of all RB's last year and has ripped off several nice runs this preseason.

Vereen is virtually a Kevin Faulk clone. Yes, he is indeed bigger and stronger than Woody, which would make him a better candidate for pass protection (ie: 3rd/passing downs). Add the fact that he is capable of catching the ball out of the backfield, and you've got yourself a 3rd down back.

Yeah I think Woodhead was somewhat of a liability in pass protection last year, Vereen is def going to push him for 3rd down snaps.

Not to mention we saw what happened to Woody on special teams the other night. I think it's best if he tries to avoid contact, a la those shifty little runs he provides.

How on earth is he a clone of 2009-2010 Kevin Faulk? He's a few inches taller, faster, a much better inside runner, not as good a blocker, not as nifty in the short passing game.

If Woody needs to avoid contact than there isn't a spot for him in the NFL.

ANYBODY who gets hit/blindsided like Woody did would be advised to avoid getting hit like that......Woody usually gets lower than his tackler so it isn't a problem.....

I'm gonna start calling Woody...TIMEX :D

He's a lot bigger than Woody. 5'10, 210 v 5'7, 195. He ran the ball effectively between the tackles in college.

He looks small-he runs low and is a compact guy-but he really isn't. 5-10, 210 is the same as guys like Terrell Davis (5'11, 210), Faulk (5'10, 210), and Curtis Martin (5'11, 210).

Ummm if Kevin Faulk is 5'10, 210 I am a 7ft 300lb Asian woman. (I am actually 5'3 an 98lbs) I assume you are talking about Marshall Faulk???

While Vereen's play style my be similar to K. Faulk, he is certainly no clone.

Yeah I think Woodhead was somewhat of a liability in pass protection last year, Vereen is def going to push him for 3rd down snaps.

Then perhaps you should start watching the New England Patriots, cuz Danny Woodhead wasn't a liability. That is ridiculous.

Last edited:
Players 100 pounds heavier than Woodhead have been knocked silly by blindside hits. NFL players are strong enough to put those hits on pretty much anybody. Now Woodhead should avoid contact because of it? :rolleyes:

Ummm if Kevin Faulk is 5'10, 210 I am a 7ft 300lb Asian woman. (I am actually 5'3 an 98lbs) I assume you are talking about Marshall Faulk???

While Vereen's play style my be similar to K. Faulk, he is certainly no clone.

I was talking about Marshall Faulk. Vereen may looks small because he runs low but he really is in that sweet spot for mid size backs; lots of players that size have been full time, third down backs.

K. Faulk might be 210 but he sure as heck isn't 5'10. More like 5'7".

He looked very, very quick in the pac-10.

He's much, much faster than he gets credit for here. I know he "only" ran a 4.49 or 4.50 in the 40 yard dash but he ran a 10.66 100m dash electronically timed in 2009, and that' smoving.

Wow, other than maybe that little guy out of Florida 10 or 12 years back who did not stick with the team, have we ever had a faster time for a 100 in a running back?

I would have a lot more confidence in his physical makeup for picking up a blitzer than Woodhead.

Woodhead proved himself to be effective running the draw and catching out of the backfield last year. We will need to wait to see what Shane can prove.

I was talking about Marshall Faulk. Vereen may looks small because he runs low but he really is in that sweet spot for mid size backs; lots of players that size have been full time, third down backs.

K. Faulk might be 210 but he sure as heck isn't 5'10. More like 5'7".

Totally agree that Vereen seems to be cut from the M. Faulk/T. Barber cloth as a shifty back who can do a little of everything. (Not putting him in their class yet, obviously, just saying they're the models.)

And Kevin Faulk is 5' 7 5/8" -- EXACTLY the same height as Danny Woodhead. I've never understood why fans and media make such a big deal out of Woodhead's height.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents