PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Vegas Rumour: No Punishment For Patriots

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do you fine the Pats for the laws of physics.

Using the ideal gas law, a ball that was filled in a 75 F room to 12.5 psi would be at 10.97 psi at 45F.

Most people doing the calculation don't realize that the ideal gas law obeys absolute pressure, not pressure above atmospheric. You have to add atmospheric pressure (14.7) psi to get absolute pressure.
P1gauge = Pressure when ball is inflated equals 12.5 psi.
P1absolute = P1guage + 14.7psi which is pressure at sea level and is close enough.
P2absolute and P2guage are to be solved for.
T1 = 75F = 23.88C = 297.04K
T2 = 45F = 7.22C - 280.37K
Assume Pats inflated the balls to 12.5 psi
P1g =12.5 psig
p1a = 12.5 +14.7 = 27.2 psi absolute
ideal gas law says PV=mRT. R is a Constant and assume the mass of air in the ball stayed the same and the volume of the ball was relatively a constant although it might change a miniscule amount.
So P2a/P1a = T2Kelvin/T1Kelvin solve for P2a = T2/T1 * P1
T2/T1 = 280.37/297.04 = 0.9439
P2a = 27.2 * 0.0439 = 25.67
P2g = P2a - 14.7 = 10.97 psi gauge!!!!! Almost exactly what was measured

Why did the 12th ball not measure underinflated? Because Blount threw it into the stands.

Why did the Indy balls measure ok? Some possible reasons.

1. Those balls were transported in the cargo hold of a plane and probably stored in an equipment truck prior to the game and never warmed to room temperature?
2. The Colts inflated theirs to 13.5 outside and they never experienced los of pressure from cooling. This was either done unintentionally or intentionally because Irsay was setting up the Pats.

The punishment for Spygate was ridiculous and absolutely did not fit the crime. Kraft also stood idly by and let his team and fans take it in the ass from all comers in the media. He absolutely should have met that head-on like the Saints did but he didn't. The result is that, a shade under a decade later, you still hear Spygate references seemingly every single week. Tell me, when is the last time you heard a Bountygate reference? I'll wait...

Feel free to wait. There's really no need to be snarky.

Sean Peyton was suspended for a year. Other coaches were suspended. The Saints were fined and lost draft picks. Not a great outcome.

No one is talking about Bountygate because the Saints suck. They are not playing in the Super Bowl.

Not necessarily true. If the colts balls started at 13.5 PSI then it still could have been in allotted range by halftime. If the pats started at 12.5, any deflation would cause it to go below the legal minimum.
True, all that King says is that the Colts' balls were "at the prescribed level" before the game so we don't know the measured PSI.

Hmmmm.... I've been thinking about the 2 pressers yesturday, and "why" they would come out and basically say "we have no idea what happened", which in effect says to the rest the the world = PROVE IT.

If this really was a deliberate act of "active deflation"........ they would BOTH know it, and there is NO WAY they would have taken the tones they did. They would have said nothing, but "we're onto Seattle", which was essentually what they did on Spygate. The only way they do those pressors, and open themselves up the scrutiny they are receiving, is that they know that the NFL cannot prove anything, and they know it. The most logical conclussion would be that the refs didn't follow league policy to the tee. The NFL would be LOATHE to admit that, as that would be a huge "hit" on the brand. After these pressors, there is NO WAY that the media will accept "No evididence of tampering, move along now" at this point. BB and TB are forcing the league's hand, which is why they are dragging their feet. They have NO IDEA how to proceed.

Once again, BB and TB playing chess (high stakes this time), while the rest are playing checkers.

I disagree with one part of what you wrote.

If an equipment guy said, I did it at Toms behest, that would be enough proof. So the only way they know it can't be proven is if they had absolutely nothing to do with it.

I just think the rampant speculation on both sides is really annoying. There is just as much evidence (none) that the Patriots organization is guilty of cheating as there is that there is some behind-the-scenes conspiracy to protect the refs or some behind-the-scenes chess match between Kraft and the league. I just wish the NFL would break their silence. It is ridiculous that they have not addressed this in any substantive manner. The reputation of one of their top franchises is being dragged through the mud and the freaking NFL won't say anything.

Feel free to wait. There's really no need to be snarky.

Sean Peyton was suspended for a year. Other coaches were suspended. The Saints were fined and lost draft picks. Not a great outcome.

That's because Bountygate was a much, MUCH worse transgression. And yet, you didn't and don't hear much about it outside of when it first happened. The Saints found their balls and put the tires to the NFL and the media.

No one is talking about Bountygate because the Saints suck. They are not playing in the Super Bowl.

The Saints certainly didn't suck in 2013 and you heard nary a peep. The Patriots didn't play in the Super Bowl in 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012, and 2013 and you hear about Spygate all the time. It's not because the Patriots are really good. It's because Bob Kraft decided to sit back and take a royal shafting.

I disagree with one part of what you wrote.

If an equipment guy said, I did it at Toms behest, that would be enough proof. So the only way they know it can't be proven is if they had absolutely nothing to do with it.

Sorry, if what I wrote was confusion..... That's EXACTLY what I meant to say. The fact that they came out and so brazzenly said "we have NO idea how it happened" indicates to me (us), that they do know in fact, that they absolutly had nothing to do with it. It has the effect of putting the onus on the leaque to "prove it" (which they cannot). BB and TFB know that, which is why they did.

In short, I agree with you, and sorry if it wasnt' clear in my post.

I think its because injuring people on purpose isn't considered cheating, its considered vicious; which is something that is celebrated by many in football.

People perceive spygate as the Patriots hiring secret spies to record the other teams' practices, their sidelines (all parts of it), their locker rooms, and whatever else to gain an advantage. Trust me, you'd be surprised how many people don't know what actually happened on that day in 2007.

You can't be thrown in jail for a crime they have absolutely no proof you committed. But oh yeah, the media says we should, so we will anyway... It doesn't work like that.

The burden of proof of the criminal justice system has exactly nothing to do with this. This is absolutely about the court of public opinion and the media as well as several fans who are already emotionally invested in hating the pats want blood.

If that's the case then the NFL adheres to Banana Republic justice, and the media is now in charge of who should get 1st round draft picks, or who should get fines, because they have the power to drum up a mob against a team which the NFL then needs to appease by handing out punishments.

Ridiculous if true

Otherwise known as the competitive balance witch hunt, the Saints have had one, this is the Patriots second.

The burden of proof of the criminal justice system has exactly nothing to do with this. This is absolutely about the court of public opinion and the media as well as several fans who are already emotionally invested in hating the pats want blood.

Just because the media and angry non-Pats fans want blood, doesn't mean punishment can, should, would and will be given out if there is no proof.

Pretty sure Kraft still has an image he needs and wants to maintain. A second cheating allegation would be devastating for that. I'm sure he has quite a bit of info on Goodell that could harm him and league, if they wanted to throw down an unwarranted sanction on his team. He's not going down without a fight, and if he does, then it's all over for him anyways.

Maybe the NFL will forget this for now but I assume after they superbowl they will be back at it.

Maybe the NFL will forget this for now but I assume after they superbowl they will be back at it.

My theory on that is, let's play devils advocate and say the Pats did have something to do with deflating.

Is he really going to stand on that podium, hand off the Lombardi, smile and shake hands with Bill and Kraft, if so?

Doubt it. That's why it's in the NFL's best interest to wrap this up today. They already screwed the pooch by not "deflating" this story on Monday, like they should have.

I don't understand how this could possibly take this long. These guys aren't trying to quantize gravity here - they are trying to figure out if a kid stuck a needle in a ball, or if cold weather could deflate balls.

Stolen from another thread. How do you punish a team with this?

Totally agree. No chance they would hand the Lombardi to Bill and then hand down heavy punishment later on.

True, but what is being said is that because the Colts' balls did not deflate at all and ours did then there must have been human intervention.

Where did you hear the Colts balls did not deflate at all? This would have to be a Jesus-in-the-Toast kind of thing.

FWIW, Sharks of Vegas has had a couple little updates.

- Sticking to his guns. The lack of proof of wrong doing makes it very hard for the league to punish.

- The NFL wants to delay this is as long as possible, potentially trying to get more info by way of a confession for example or someone tripping up.

- At MOST, the Pats could be fined 25k.

I am too tired and lazy to post the link, just google Sharks of Vegas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST