PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Updated Patriot Coaches and titles

Curran made an interesting point he said BBs budget he's given ties into his own salary.. less he spends, more he gets..

This is not true. The salary cap for players is a contractual agreement with the players' union. Coaches salaries are independent of the players' union agreement. The Pats spend the whole salary cap or carry it over. BB distributes how the whole salary cap is spent, but his compensation is in no way linked to the salary cap, and the Pats spend the whole cap each year.

This is not true. The salary cap for players is a contractual agreement with the players' union. Coaches salaries are independent of the players' union agreement. The Pats spend the whole salary cap or carry it over. BB distributes how the whole salary cap is spent, but his compensation is in no way linked to the salary cap, and the Pats spend the whole cap each year.
Just repeating what he said. I'd like to think he's a bit.more informed than any of us.

You may be right, although I’ve heard this too, but your justification is wrong. Salary cap and actual money spent are two totally different things. A boss/owner can give whatever budget they want

You may be right, although I’ve heard this too, but your justification is wrong. Salary cap and actual money spent are two totally different things. A boss/owner can give whatever budget they want

I think you might be confusing two different budgets. I think @Real fan 02 is doing the same thing.

There is a budget for the "players" and a budget for the "team". The budget for the "players" is defined in the players' union agreement, and there are minimums and maximums that the owners have to follow - it is collectively bargained and legally binding. The owners can not give whatever budget they want for the players' salaries. The owners can split up the pay to the players any way the GM and owner want as long as they stay within the collectively agreed budget limits.

For the coaches, stadium, concessions, etc., the owner can set any "team" budget they like as you note. When Tom Curran talks about BB's salary he is talking about the owner's "team" budget and it has nothing to do with the "players" budget. It appears as you do not understand there are two budgets because you and @Real fan 02 talk about coaches' and players salaries in the same post when they are two different legal requirements for the two different budgets.

The cash paid to satisfy the two different budgets varies from year to year and is not the same as the budget total because of upfront guaranteed payments are due some years and not others.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back