PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Updated 53-man

Status
Not open for further replies.
14thDragon said:
Hill was at practice and can't be PUPed, Harrison can't be PUPed, Smith defintly can't be PUPed.

Good point, I remember that now. Hill practiced the first couple days before getting injured.

mgteich said:
Why so tough? Last week you needed only 6 DL's and you've added Sullivan. Shouldn't LeKevin go to the Practice Squad?

Smith to the PS seems like a reasonable proposition... I could be convinced of that. I dont like cutting rookies that look legit unless they look like duds.

Partly, the rationale is that we have to put 5 players on Inactive any given week, and instead of wasting that spot on a player like Kight, I'd rather use it on a guy with long term upside.

From a roster perspective, my reason for keeping 3 NTs is because I suspect we'll be playing more 4-3 than we did last year. Seau is no sure thing, and the depth behind Bruschi is paper thin... actually, it's entirely translucent. Net-net, one more interior lineman guy, and one less LB seems reasonable.

I cant believe I put Sullivan at OG in my original post. Of course, I meant Stevenson. I figure Mruc is safe on the Shadow Roster, and Stevenson has OC/OG flex too. When in doubt, invest in the future. Again, as the #8 OL he's likely to be inactive every week-- in which case, we may as well take the guy who cost us a draft pick and give that investment an opportunity to pay off for us.

The next fun thing is to decide who the standard 5 inactives are going to be on any given week.

Thanks for picking up my clone of Kaczur

Nice try wasn't it! Tough choice between Cobbs, Mincey and Stevenson. Mruczkowski spent most of the season unemployed until the Pats called and I think they can do that again. Cobbs and Evans have done everything asked of them it would be ashame if either were cut. Cobbs has been the surprise of the Pre-season games. I have also been impressed with his willingness to block and pick up the blitz. I think he will get scoffed up by a team needing a third down back.

If Pass comes back that will make the decision at RB very difficult. I womder how much that fumble when he tweaked his hamstring will effect his roster spot this year.

Randall Gay, Patrick Cobbs, Klecko, Willie Andrews make the team.

Chad Scott, Patrick Pass, Chad Brown are cut.

BJ_McWild said:
Randall Gay, Patrick Cobbs, Klecko, Willie Andrews make the team.

Chad Scott, Patrick Pass, Chad Brown are cut.

I think in all liekly hood that Pass will stay on the PUP. (He is the one guy we can PUP)

rook,

Have you made your decision or do you still ahve a 54 man roster?

rookBoston said:
Smith to the PS seems like a reasonable proposition... I could be convinced of that. I dont like cutting rookies that look legit unless they look like duds.

Partly, the rationale is that we have to put 5 players on Inactive any given week, and instead of wasting that spot on a player like Kight, I'd rather use it on a guy with long term upside.

From a roster perspective, my reason for keeping 3 NTs is because I suspect we'll be playing more 4-3 than we did last year. Seau is no sure thing, and the depth behind Bruschi is paper thin... actually, it's entirely translucent. Net-net, one more interior lineman guy, and one less LB seems reasonable.

I cant believe I put Sullivan at OG in my original post. Of course, I meant Stevenson. I figure Mruc is safe on the Shadow Roster, and Stevenson has OC/OG flex too. When in doubt, invest in the future. Again, as the #8 OL he's likely to be inactive every week-- in which case, we may as well take the guy who cost us a draft pick and give that investment an opportunity to pay off for us.

The next fun thing is to decide who the standard 5 inactives are going to be on any given week.

Grady Jackson was signed by the Falcons and Boerighter (released by the Packers) with the Colts yesterday, if anyone wanted to know.

Egads, I didn't have my PUP rules right. Trying to throw the extra names on PUP was just a cop out anyway. Here's my list for the OPENING DAY D minus any qualifiers-

DL - Seymour, Warren, Fat Vince, Green, Sullivan, Hill
ILB- Bruschi, Vrabel, Seau, Gardener, Alexander, Izzo
OLB - Colvin, TBC, Brown, Woods.
CB- Hobbs, Samuel, Gay, Warfield
S- Wilson, Hawkins, Harrison, Sanders, Andrews

Now for my qualifiers- Wilson really counts as both a CB and a S, that's why I only kept 4 CB's. Vrabel plays both in and out upon Bruschi's return thus only 4 OLB's, though I am starting to feel Mincey makes this team over Klecko who I don't list on the D since I have no idea where he'll play, but he makes the team if Mincey doesn't. That would put 26 on the D, to go with 24 on O, and Paxton, Miller, and Gostkowski.

Here is what I am thinking (just another opinion)

QB (2) - Brady, Cassell
RB (4) - Dillon, Maroney, Faulk, Evans (Pass on PUP)
TE (4) - Graham, Watson, Thomas, Mills
WR (5) - Caldwell, Jackson, Brown, Childress, Kight (Branch on DNR list, takes Kight's spot whenever he comes back)
OT (3) - Light, O'Callaghan, Kaczur
OG (3) - Mankins, Neal, Hochstein
OC (1) - Koppen

22 on offense

DL (6) - Seymour, Wilfork, Warren, Green, Wright, Sullivan
LB (9) - Colvin, Banta-Cain, Bruschi, Vrabel, Seau, Gardner, Davis, Alexander
DB (11) - Samuel, Hobbs, Wilson, Harrison, Gay, Hawkins, Sanders, Jones, Andrews, Warfield, C Scott

26 on defense

ST (3) - Gostkowski, Miller, Paxton

3 on ST

That gives me 51 spots, so I have 2 more to fill

My options (IMO) are: Britt, Stevenson, Hill, Mincey, Woods, Beisel, or Klecko, and I think I'll take one from each side of the ball

I'll go with Stevenson for interior depth
And I say whoever performs better over the next 2 weeks between Mincey and Woods would get my other spot

Is Britt eligible for the PS?

Isn't Chad Brown still out hurt?

I am leary about having a past prime veteran who is hurt and got very little time in during training camp as my primary back-up at OLB. But I am a bit more partial to giving the young guys a chance. :D

tatepatsfan said:
Is Britt eligible for the PS?
Yes..he has another year...and might be someone for that..

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft