PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Updated 53-man

Status
Not open for further replies.

rookBoston

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
With Gorin gone and Seau signed, things are becoming more clear.

QB (2) Brady, Cassel
RB (4) Dillon, Moroney, Faulk, Evans
WR (5) Branch, Jackson, Caldwell, Brown, Childress << I've had the same 5 since draft day
TE (4) Graham, Watson, Thomas, Mills << and they'll all see the field... and at the same time
OT (3) Light, Kaczur, O'Callaghan
OG (3) Mankins, Neal, Sullivan
OC (2) Koppen, Hochstein

That's only 23 on O, but it's a real solid 23 top to bottom with zero fat. I dont think anything more to be wished for, including at #2 QB, #3 OT, #5 WR... simply outstanding unit: quality, depth, character and youth. This is easily the best O we've seen from the Pats since Bledsoe, Martin, Coates, Armstrong and Glenn. Even the prospect of our (potential) WR corp leaves me feeling optimistic (must sign Branch!). Evans vs. Cobbs vs. Pass is the only real controversy.

NT (3) Wilfork, Sullivan, Smith << tough call: Klecko or Smith?
DE (4) Seymour, Warren, Green, Wright << I cut Hill to keep Sullivan
OLB(5) Vrabel, Colvin, Banta-Cain, Mincey, Woods << tough call: Woods or Brown?
ILB (5) Bruschi, Seau, Beisel, Gardner, Izzo, Davis << I hope Beisel looks good on ST, or he's at risk of unemployment
CB (4) Wilson, Hobbs, Samuel, Gay << tough call: Scott or Gay?
S (5) Harrison, Hawkins, Sanders, Jones, Scott

I've been worried about ILB since before the end of last season. Seau is a one-year stop gap, and hopefully has one more year in him. Luckily in this scheme, he doesn't need great to have footspeed. He can run north south, shed some blocks and plug some gaps, a la Ted Johnson. Then on third down, either Gardner, Beisel or Sanders can come in to bring the extra pass coverage skills. That solves the only real weak spot on this roster.

This is the first 53-man where I've actually listed Sullivan on the roster. I think he'll be the key to success in a 4-3. Warren, Wilfork, Sullivan and Seymour across the front with Vrabel, Bruschi and Colvin at LB... its like a dream come true.

K Gostkowski
P Miller
LS Paxton

All I can say is WOW. On paper, this team is really coming together.

Last edited:
Man, I forgot Willie Andrews our sure-thing KR, and the guy who'll make us forget Bethel Johnson.

Someone has to go. It'll either be LeKevin, Mincey, Woods, Beisel, Scott or Gay.

Talk about tough cuts.

Last edited:
How long has Sully been working at OG?

I had a few disagreements:

I think Britt and Cobbs also make the team.

Brown, Beisel, Izzo, Mincey, Hill, Klecko,Sullivan, Warfiled and Guss Scott are gone.

LeKevin Smith, Woods (He has been very impressive holding the edge) Andrews are kept.

Izzo can only play special teams and we already have three of those players. Davis, Gardner, and Alexander can fill the Special Teams roles and contribute on Defense. Klecko's two sacks are not enough to save him this year! My Klecko jersey is going into mothballs!

Can't argue with much! The offense is looking pretty well set, assuming Branch...well, you know. My one question is the OL, where you have just a single backup tackle. Are you assuming that Mankins is the de facto 4th tackle?

On defense, I don't even feel qualified to judge Sullivan vs. Hill. I have no clue what the coaches think of Hill and we've scarcely seen any samples of his work with our own eyes. Oh, and which Scott are you keeping? I still hold out hope for snake-bitten Guss, but Chad offers some positional flexibility.

Box_O_Rocks said:
How long has Sully been working at OG?

I was wondering the same!

:eek:

rookBoston said:

QB (2) Brady, Cassel
RB (4) Dillon, Moroney, Faulk, Evans (Cobbs may suprise here)
WR (5) Branch, Jackson, Caldwell, Brown, Childress << I've had the same 5 since draft day
TE (4) Graham, Watson, Thomas, Mills << and they'll all see the field... and at the same time
OC (2) Koppen, Hochstein

That's only 23 on O, but it's a real solid 23 top to bottom with zero fat. I dont think anything more to be wished for, including at #2 QB, #3 OT, #5 WR... simply outstanding unit: quality, depth, character and youth. This is easily the best O we've seen from the Pats since Bledsoe, Martin, Coates, Armstrong and Glenn. Even the prospect of our (potential) WR corp leaves me feeling optimistic (must sign Branch!). Evans vs. Cobbs vs. Pass is the only real controversy. Very excited about this group, heard a rumor that Deion is firing his agent Hope so and get him extended, drop the fines

NT (3) Wilfork, Sullivan, Smith << tough call: Klecko or Smith? Drop Sullivan keep Klecko and Smith
DE (4) Seymour, Warren, Green, Wright << I cut Hill to keep Sullivan Agree on Hill, time to move on
OLB(5) Vrabel, Colvin, Banta-Cain, Mincey, Woods << tough call: Woods or Brown?Woods has his fate in his hands, ST's could make the differenceILB (5) Bruschi, Seau, Beisel, Gardner, Izzo, Davis << I hope Beisel looks good on ST, or he's at risk of unemployment I can see Beisel and Izzo/Davis gone, IMO Alexander sticksCB (4) Wilson, Hobbs, Samuel, Gay << tough call: Scott or Gay?I think we keep 5 here Gay and Scott, 1 less LBS (5) Harrison, Hawkins, Sanders, Jones, Scott

I've been worried about ILB since before the end of last season. Seau is a one-year stop gap, and hopefully has one more year in him. Luckily in this scheme, he doesn't need great to have footspeed. He can run north south, shed some blocks and plug some gaps, a la Ted Johnson. Then on third down, either Gardner, Beisel or Sanders can come in to bring the extra pass coverage skills. That solves the only real weak spot on this roster.

This is the first 53-man where I've actually listed Sullivan on the roster. I think he'll be the key to success in a 4-3. Warren, Wilfork, Sullivan and Seymour across the front with Vrabel, Bruschi and Colvin at LB... its like a dream come true.

K Gostkowski
P Miller
LS Paxton

If Branch is back and Gardner/Seau works out this will be an amazing team. I hope we can have a year with an average # of injuries.:D

We agreed on 49 last week; I accepted Mincey, GOST, and Evans from your list; you accepted Sullivan from mine.
-----------------------------------------
Now, we agree on 52, assuming Stevenson is playing guard instead of Sully. Also, you have 6 ILB's, not 5 (the total is right). I would be OK with Smith as #53, but I think that the choice is close and my choice is Chad Scott.

I'm fine with the 2 QB's. The OL is bit thin with seven plus a rook. And yes, this is the best offense since the one you mentioned.

In the LB corp, I think that it is a matter of health. If Beisel and Chad Brown are both healthy, I would keep the vets. Woods would be fine on the Practice Squad. However, I suspect that Beisel will be healthy and Chad Brown not, and therefore agree with your choices.

PLAYER 53
The choices for me are Smith, Chad Scott, or Britt.

I think that the six man line is fine and one of the best in the league. Sullivan has taken Hill's place. I'm not sure why we shouldn't Smith put on the Practice Squad. If he doesn't make it, we'll pick up another rookie NT or two for the PS. Smith wouldn't ever be active. I think that perhaps we need to see another week of Sullivan. If he is as far ahead of Smith as it seems, there is no need for Smith.

I'm fine with having a couple of OL's on the practice squad, and I suppose Britt is eligible and will make it (same argument as Smith). But OT is a more critical. What does happen with two OT injuries? It's happened before to us, a couple of times. If Britt is cut, that means that Stevenson or Mankins is expected to be able to play OT. And, of course, I'm fine with dante's judgement in this matter.

Finally, we come to Chad Scott, who could start at corner or safety if we needed him to (my man Chad). Chad is the consummate bb player, a veteran with flexibility and reasonable amount of talent. With luck, and health, we might not use him much, but that's fine.

A CAUTION
We may cut to 52, with the idea of picking someone else up off the waiver wire, as we have done before. Or, we might be still looking to pick up a player by trade.

rookBoston said:

QB (2) Brady, Cassel
OC (2) Koppen, Hochstein

That's only 23 on O, but it's a real solid 23 top to bottom with zero fat. I dont think anything more to be wished for, including at #2 QB, #3 OT, #5 WR... simply outstanding unit: quality, depth, character and youth. This is easily the best O we've seen from the Pats since Bledsoe, Martin, Coates, Armstrong and Glenn. Even the prospect of our (potential) WR corp leaves me feeling optimistic (must sign Branch!). Evans vs. Cobbs vs. Pass is the only real controversy.

ILB (5) Bruschi, Seau, Beisel, Gardner, Izzo, Davis << I hope Beisel looks good on ST, or he's at risk of unemployment

K Gostkowski
P Miller
LS Paxton

Here is my 53-man after

Offense 24

QB (2) Brady, Cassel
RB (5) Dillon, Moroney, Faulk, Evans, Cobb
FB << Pass to PUP - he is still a valuable special teams player >>
WR (5) Branch, Jackson, Caldwell, Brown, Childress << Branch DNR add Kight until Branch comes back>>
OT (4) Light, Kaczur, O'Callaghan, Britt << Britt stays because they need insurance >>
OG (3) Mankins, Neal, Hochstein, << Stevenson to PS and Mruczkowski is cut but on a shadow roster >>
OC (1) Koppen

Defense 26

NT (2) Wilfork, Smith << Grady Jackson is still available - Klecko is gone >>
DE (4) Seymour, Warren, Green, Wright << Hill and Sullivan are gone >>
OLB(4) Vrabel, Colvin, Banta-Cain, Woods << Mincey is a tough call >>
ILB (6) Bruschi, Seau, Gardner, Izzo, Davis, Alexander << Beisel and Brown are gone >>
CB (4) Wilson, Hobbs, Samuel, Gay << Warfiekd and Hank are gone >>
S (6) Harrison, Hawkins, Sanders, Jones, C Scott, Andrews << Guss Scott is gone >>

Special Teams 3

K Gostkowski
P Miller
LS Paxton

Last edited:
Re: Here is my 53-man after

Mark Morse said:
Offense 24

QB (2) Brady, Cassel
RB (4) Dillon, Moroney, Faulk, Evans << Add Cobb >>
FB << Pass PUP >>
WR (5) Branch, Jackson, Caldwell, Brown, Childress << Branch DNR add Kight until Branch comes back>>
OT (5) Light, Kaczur, O'Callaghan, Kaczur, Britt << Britt stays because they need insurance >>
OG (3) Mankins, Neal, Hochstein
OC (1) Koppen

Defense 26

NT (2) Wilfork, Smith << Grady Jackson is still available - Klecko is gone >> S
DE (4) Seymour, Warren, Green, Wright << Hill and Sullivan are gone >>
OLB(4) Vrabel, Colvin, Banta-Cain, Woods << Mincey is a tough call >>
ILB (6) Bruschi, Seau, Gardner, Izzo, Davis, Alexander << Beisel and Brown are gone >>
CB (4) Wilson, Hobbs, Samuel, Gay << Warfiekd and Hank are gone >>
S (6) Harrison, Hawkins, Sanders, Jones, C Scott, Andrews << Guss Scott is gone >>

Special Teams 3

K Gostkowski
P Miller
LS Paxton

OG/C is too thin.

No need for 5 tackles. They'll only go with 3 - 4 at the most.

Last edited:
Re: Here is my 53-man after

pats1 said:
OG/C is too thin.

No need for 5 tackles. They'll only go with 3 - 4 at the most.

Not to mention the fact that we have not yet cloned Kaczur.

Since we are all in such a giving mood, here is my list

QB (2) Brady, Cassel
WR (5) Branch, Jackson, Caldwell, Brown, Childress <<Possibly a wiaver wire guy and Branch on the Did not report/Reserve
TE (4) Graham, Watson, Thomas, Mills
OT (4) Light, Kaczur, O'Callaghan, Britt
OG (3) Mankins, Neal, Mruczkowski <<Stevenson needs a little work, a PS guy in Dante's OL factory
OC (2) Koppen, Hochstein

24 On the O side, with good protection for the Great One.

NT (2) Wilfork, Sullivan << Smith to the PS, it is a good place for him
DE (4) Seymour, Warren, Green, Wright << Trade Hill and Klecko for some draft picks or WR if possible. Though not likely.
OLB(5) Vrabel, Colvin, Banta-Cain, Mincey, Woods << I gotta go with the young guy on the feild.
ILB (5) Bruschi, Seau, Beisel, Gardner, Izzo, Alexander << My youth movement is on. PS Alexander is faster and stronger then Davis.
CB (5) Hobbs, Samuel, Gay, Warfield, Andrews<< Do not lose Poteat's number.
S (5) Wilson, Harrison, Hawkins, Sanders, Jones

26 on the D side, heavy at LB and DB, and a little light on the DL, Scott could be a victim and either Hill or Smith kept.

K Gostkowski
P Miller
LS Paxton

PS
QB (1) - Bramlet << He wanted to come here to learn
WR (2) - Stone, Kight << Dreams can come true, look at Bam-Bam
LB (2) - Roach, Mays
RB (1) - Cobbs
OG (1) - Stevenson << Late round pick, want to get better, welcome to the fine school of OL.
OT (1) - Stietz << See above.

Last edited:
Stone isn't eligible for the PS, he's been in the league too long. I think Cobbs makes the PS over him.

primetime said:
Stone isn't eligible for the PS, he's been in the league too long. I think Cobbs makes the PS over him.

Good point. But I thought we signed him as RFA last year?

But Cobbs is better. I will edit.

14thDragon said:
Good point. But I thought we signed him as RFA last year?

But Cobbs is better. I will edit.

Huh? The Pats signed John Stone as a street free agent this past spring. He was never with the Pats before 2006.

They signed safety Michael Stone as a street free agent after Rodney got hurt last season. He went to the Texans as a UFA this offseason.

John Stone has 1 accrued season, which makes him ineligible for the practice squad.

Last edited:
In my first response, I agreed on 52, and put in Chad Scott in place of Smith.

I missed that you omitted Andrews. Add Andrews and send Smith to the practice squad and we agree on all 53.

rookBoston said:

QB (2) Brady, Cassel
OC (2) Koppen, Hochstein

K Gostkowski
P Miller
LS Paxton

Why so tough? Last week you needed only 6 DL's and you've added Sullivan. Shouldn't LeKevin go to the Practice Squad?

rookBoston said:
Man, I forgot Willie Andrews our sure-thing KR, and the guy who'll make us forget Bethel Johnson.

Someone has to go. It'll either be LeKevin, Mincey, Woods, Beisel, Scott or Gay.

Talk about tough cuts.

14thDragon said:
Since we are all in such a giving mood, here is my list

QB (2) Brady, Cassel
WR (5) Branch, Jackson, Caldwell, Brown, Childress <<Possibly a wiaver wire guy and Branch on the Did not report/Reserve
TE (4) Graham, Watson, Thomas, Mills
OT (4) Light, Kaczur, O'Callaghan, Britt
OG (3) Mankins, Neal, Mruczkowski <<Stevenson needs a little work, a PS guy in Dante's OL factory
OC (2) Koppen, Hochstein

24 On the O side, with good protection for the Great One.

NT (2) Wilfork, Sullivan << Smith to the PS, it is a good place for him
DE (4) Seymour, Warren, Green, Wright << Trade Hill and Klecko for some draft picks or WR if possible. Though not likely.
OLB(5) Vrabel, Colvin, Banta-Cain, Mincey, Woods << I gotta go with the young guy on the feild.
ILB (5) Bruschi, Seau, Beisel, Gardner, Izzo, Alexander << My youth movement is on. PS Alexander is faster and stronger then Davis.
CB (5) Hobbs, Samuel, Gay, Warfield, Andrews<< Do not lose Poteat's number.
S (5) Wilson, Harrison, Hawkins, Sanders, Jones

26 on the D side, heavy at LB and DB, and a little light on the DL, Scott could be a victim and either Hill or Smith kept.

K Gostkowski
P Miller
LS Paxton

PS
QB (1) - Bramlet << He wanted to come here to learn
WR (2) - Stone, Kight << Dreams can come true, look at Bam-Bam
LB (2) - Roach, Mays
RB (1) - Cobbs
OG (1) - Stevenson << Late round pick, want to get better, welcome to the fine school of OL.
OT (1) - Stietz << See above.

Your offense seems right on. Defense is where I have a few differences-

DL (why bother to call them tackles or ends, they all move around) - Seymour, Warren, Fat Vince, Green, yes...but here we disagree a bit: either Hill makes the team or gets injured, I don't see him as being cut, he's too young, too big. Sullivan has upside, sure, but LeKevin is young and has yet show the propensity to be a dork like Sullivan has. Wright could be the good guy who gets cut.
Final take-Seymour, Warren, Fat Vince, Green, Sullivan, Smith/Hill - one or the other goes PUP or IR. Wright is out.

OLB - you're lineup has Mincey or Woods as the first backup at this point since Vrabel will be inside until further notice, that won't happen. So unless Bruschi is a lock to be ready for opening day Brown makes the squad as the 3rd OLB. But Woods has a good chance to stick also. So...
OLB-Colvin, TBC, Brown, Woods. Brown gets the axe when Brushci comes back and Vrabel moves outside.

ILB- You can't count Bruschi in yet, he could easily be PUP'ed. Though with only 2 QB's BB might use that extra slot to carry and inactive Bruschi for two weeks. So this list is for opening day-
ILB- Vrabel, Bruschi, Seau, Gardner, Izzo, Alexander. Monty hits the black spot unless Bruschi is PUP'ed

CB- Hobbs, Samuel, Gay, Warfield
S- Wilson, Hawkins, Sanders, Jones, Andrews. Harrison is PUP'ed

The extra mystery man? Klecko squeezes in once more as the jack of trades

Last edited:
Brady'sButtBoy said:
Your offense seems right on. Defense is where I have a few differences-

DL (why bother to call them tackles or ends, they all move around) - Seymour, Warren, Fat Vince, Green, yes...but here we disagree a bit: either Hill makes the team or gets injured, I don't see him as being cut, he's too young, too big. Sullivan has upside, sure, but LeKevin is young and has yet show the propensity to be a dork like Sullivan has. Wright could be the good guy who gets cut.
Final take-Seymour, Warren, Fat Vince, Green, Sullivan, Smith/Hill - one or the other goes PUP or IR. Wright is out.

OLB - you're lineup has Mincey or Woods as the first backup at this point since Vrabel will be inside until further notice, that won't happen. So unless Bruschi is a lock to be ready for opening day Brown makes the squad as the 3rd OLB. But Woods has a good chance to stick also. So...
OLB-Colvin, TBC, Brown, Woods. Brown gets the axe when Brushci comes back and Vrabel moves outside.

ILB- You can't count Bruschi in yet, he could easily be PUP'ed. Though with only 2 QB's BB might use that extra slot to carry and inactive Bruschi for two weeks. So this list is for opening day-
ILB- Vrabel, Bruschi, Seau, Gardner, Izzo, Alexander. Monty hits the black spot unless Bruschi is PUP'ed

CB- Hobbs, Samuel, Gay, Warfield
S- Wilson, Hawkins, Sanders, Jones, Andrews. Harrison is PUP'ed

The extra mystery man? Klecko squeezes in once more as the jack of trades

Bruschi can't be PUPed. He has already practiced.

The only player who can still go on the PUP is Patrick Pass. After Kaczur came off today, and BB saying Patrick was close to coming back, I suspect he won't stay on it either.

(I could be wrong, though. Someone like Branch, hypothetically, who hasn't practiced yet might still be able to go on the PUP, but that would really make the active/PUP list worthless.)

Last edited:
pats1 said:
Bruschi can't be PUPed. He has already practiced.

The only player who can still go on the PUP is Patrick Pass. After Kaczur came off today, and BB saying Patrick was close to coming back, I suspect he won't stay on it either.

(I could be wrong, though. Someone like Marquise Hill who hasn't practiced yet might still be able to go on the PUP, but that would really make the active/PUP list worthless.)

Hill was at practice and can't be PUPed, Harrison can't be PUPed, Smith defintly can't be PUPed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots