PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tyrone McKenzie

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a little concerned about the youth of our linebacking squad, and really the entire defense in general. Yes we did need to get younger than we were a couple of years ago. That said, it's also worth keeping in mind that Belichick's best defenses have been made up almost entirely of veteran players. When we won those three Superbowls it was with the likes of Roman Phifer, Bryan Cox, and Willie McGinnest. Now we've got a bunch of greenhorns out there. I really wish we had been able to add at least a few QUALITY veteran players over the past 3-4 seasons--I think the defense would be a lot better off if we had.

I also like the idea of having four ILB's. I'm fine with a position linebacker instead of Alexander, who usually fills that roster spot and doesn't play ILB.

HOWEVER, the reality is that Seau came to the patriots last year after Mayo was injured. Our "plan" was NOT a 3-man rotation of Mayo, Guyton and Seau. We had a plan for Mayo, Guyton and developing rookie.

Thats not even close to accurate as I recall it. Maybe I am misremembering but I am pretty sure that Seau and the Patriots had already agreed on his return before the season started and that it was going to be with 6 or so games remaining and that even after Mayo injury they waited a few weeks.

And the reason they didn't have 3 going into the season was because of a Mini camp injury to McKenzie. Bottomline is this team as almost always gone into a season with 3 sometimes four capable ILB and that is where we are again.

I am a little concerned about the youth of our linebacking squad, and really the entire defense in general. Yes we did need to get younger than we were a couple of years ago. That said, it's also worth keeping in mind that Belichick's best defenses have been made up almost entirely of veteran players. When we won those three Superbowls it was with the likes of Roman Phifer, Bryan Cox, and Willie McGinnest. Now we've got a bunch of greenhorns out there. I really wish we had been able to add at least a few QUALITY veteran players over the past 3-4 seasons--I think the defense would be a lot better off if we had.

Of course Quality veterans will help any team at any position. They are quality and they have experience, they are just hard to find and usually expensive. However, just because they won one way doesn't mean they CAN'T win another way. They won with great defense before, and could/should have won with great offense in 2007 for example.

Of course Quality veterans will help any team at any position. They are quality and they have experience, they are just hard to find and usually expensive. However, just because they won one way doesn't mean they CAN'T win another way. They won with great defense before, and could/should have won with great offense in 2007 for example.
That's true. I guess I am just nostalgic for the days when we could sign veterans for the minimum and have them turn into huge contributors. Those days are long over! Anyway, I am very excited about the talent we have on defense now, I'm just sounding a word of caution that it might take a couple seasons for everything to solidify. Then again, maybe last year's embarassing playoff loss was all they needed and now the second and third year guys will be lean and mean.

Mayo and Guyton are entering their third seasons. Not wiley veterans by any means, but they're not rookies anymore and should be expected to play like veterans now. TBC is a vet too, so we have some experience in this group. Plus I expect us to add a vet to compete outside with Cunningham, Ninko, Woods, and Crable.

Bodden says hi as does TBC...two quality vets brought in to agment the youth.

Gerard Warren and Damione Lewis say hi as do McGowan and Springs.

Plus Seau

not to mention a few failed Vet pick ups like Hobson, Paris Lenon, Deltha Oneal, and Bryant (was that the corners name we got from Detroit).

“Of all the players that I’ve talked to and we’ve interviewed this year and even through the years, Tyrone is amongst the most impressive. Maturity, intelligence, what he’s done with the opportunities that he’s had or that he’s had to overcome, how he’s approached them, how he’s dealt with them, how he’s made the most of them. It hasn’t been easy.

“Yet, he’s continued to excel, jump over hurdles and overcome obstacles that I think would have derailed a lot of other people and/or football players. I think he’s a very impressive, mature, humble young man.”

Belichick loves the kid. I can't wait to see him get on the field. His tackling numbers were insane in College by the way. Averaged something like 120 TT his three years. And that's with all the problems he had at home.

didnt McKenzie also play OLB in college. what about moving him to OLB?

6'2" 243 is too small for OLB in our scheme

Belichick clearly was not fine with what he had. That's why he drafted McKenzie before the season, and Spikes in the recent draft. I'm not sure where the disconnect is here, but a simple review of the games makes it obvious that ILB was a problem, and it was not just with the backups.

Then again, only 4-5 spots on the defense were well played with any real degree of consistency:

Warren (DE)
Wilfork (NT)
Bodden (RCB)
Meriweather (S)
TBC (OLB)

Every other position struggled for one reason or another. That includes both ILB spots. Again, if BB was "fine with what he had", he wouldn't be picks in the top 3 rounds on ILBs for 3 straight years.

Also, using your logic, "Belichick was fine with what he had" at DE, too. You still listed that as a weakness.

unfortunately i would put Mr. Meriweather in the group of inconsistent play....i really do hope that changes for next year though

meriweather was consistant enough to be named to the pro bowl.

McKenzie has been through a lot in his short life and the drafting to Spikes is yet another challenge. Let's hope that this is his year...

meriweather was consistant enough to be named to the pro bowl.

which means what? that the reg fan believed he played well? I would too if I didnt watch him in every patriots game and only saw his highlight reel

and for everyone else who voted....he became more inconsistent in the 2nd half of the season

which means what? that the reg fan believed he played well? I would too if I didnt watch him in every patriots game and only saw his highlight reel

and for everyone else who voted....he became more inconsistent in the 2nd half of the season

QFT.
Stomper being named to the Pro Bowl (only after a couple of other Safeties were injured/uninterested) was...a...Joke. But that's a topic for another thread.

As for McK, I am hoping that his health means the End of Effin Alexander once & for all time. McK & Spikes should compete for the SILB job next to WILB Mayo. Guyton should then return to what he does best: core STer & backup WILB; under no circumstances should he ever be a starter on a defense with legit SB aspirations.

Had Bill not so consistently pooped the bed re the OLB position that Ninko has to play there out of necessity, I feel that he could also be tried at SILB; I don't think that his mediocre height & lack of explosion translate well to OLB here.

And I still would've signed SILB Andre Davis immed. after Denver released him as a cost-cutting move. He played 4 years under RAC in Cleveland, so the transition to our defense would've been seamless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
Back