PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

*****ty Head Ref Gives Texans 3 Fugazi Points

Status
Not open for further replies.
There wasn't two whistles. What you heard was a woman's high pitch scream at 2 seconds, and a ref whistle at 0. They should never have gotten the extra play. I rewind the dvr twice to make sure.

Again i think if the fix is in it will be this Sunday against the Ravens. If the Pats make it to the SB there wouldn't be a reason to try and get the most favorable out come as far as TV ratings go. Ray Lewis's last game and the Harbaugh brothers battling it out would be a great audience draw. I'm pretty sure the Godell, NBC, and the rest of the sports media would love and prefer the Niners and Ravens.

So you won't be spending 3+ hours of abject futility Sunday watching the NBA, sorry the AFCCG then?

Again i think if the fix is in it will be this Sunday against the Ravens. If the Pats make it to the SB there wouldn't be a reason to try and get the most favorable out come as far as TV ratings go. Ray Lewis's last game and the Harbaugh brothers battling it out would be a great audience draw. I'm pretty sure the Godell, NBC, and the rest of the sports media would love and prefer the Niners and Ravens.

If I am an exec at NBC I wouldn't want Baltimore at SF. Celebrity is what you want. You want the highly recognizable TFB with his internationally known model wife (hopefully with each excruciating play jumping up and down on camera in the T&A luxury box with a few of her friends -- just as they cut to an advertisement). You also want something that evokes passionate like or especially dislike. Say a head coach who has a highly known name and is disliked by an easily fooled public. You also want a story line that is contrasting, say the HOF QB old guard and the new breed QB. You want a story line that has something riding on it - akin to if a contestant answers the question right and they get a million dollars! if they get it wrong they get ridiculed before being sent home with zilch! Say if TFB wins he is GOAT, if he loses he is regressing to Jim Kelly territory (not saying it's true - just a story line that can be played up).

I don't discount the brother-brother angle or even the Ray is retiring angle. Those are things that can grab some attention. However, are those going to evoke the kind of emotion and star power that gets the otherwise non interested viewing public to watch? Ask anyone not interested in football within the coveted marketing demo who Ray Lewis or who the Harbaugh brothers are. Now ask them who is Tom Brady. Even ask them who BB is. No contest.....the NFL wants the Patriots in the SB in terms of $$$$

If I am an exec at NBC I wouldn't want Baltimore at SF. Celebrity is what you want. You want the highly recognizable TFB with his internationally known model wife (hopefully with each excruciating play jumping up and down on camera in the T&A luxury box with a few of her friends -- just as they cut to an advertisement). You also want something that evokes passionate like or especially dislike. Say a head coach who has a highly known name and is disliked by an easily fooled public. You also want a story line that is contrasting, say the HOF QB old guard and the new breed QB. You want a story line that has something riding on it - akin to if a contestant answers the question right and they get a million dollars! if they get it wrong they get ridiculed before being sent home with zilch! Say if TFB wins he is GOAT, if he loses he is regressing to Jim Kelly territory (not saying it's true - just a story line that can be played up).

I don't discount the brother-brother angle or even the Ray is retiring angle. Those are things that can grab some attention. However, are those going to evoke the kind of emotion and star power that gets the otherwise non interested viewing public to watch? Ask anyone not interested in football within the coveted marketing demo who Ray Lewis or who the Harbaugh brothers are. Now ask them who is Tom Brady. Even ask them who BB is. No contest.....the NFL wants the Patriots in the SB in terms of $$$$
The best outcome for the NFL would be a Patriots vs 49ers Superbowl. That's the match most people would want to see.

The best outcome for the NFL would be a Patriots vs 49ers Superbowl. That's the match most people would want to see.

Agreed. The 9ers and the city of San Francisco have brand recognition to a level the Falcons and Atlanta don't. The most $$$ matchup is NE vs SF. I can't imagine the NFL and NBC care about anything other than that....

Yep, imagine the pats not turning the ball over against that team, we would really have a shot at winning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I knew the ref was going to call the Foster run a TD. On that play, it seemed like whatever the call was on the field, it was going to live through the review.

I feel like sometimes the Zebras use the "inconclusive evidence" mantra as a crutch. I understand the NFL's intent, and I'm not sure of a better solution, but it seems like you can always bet on the "inconclusive evidence" reasoning when it comes to close calls. There have been many instances where it seems there is enough evidence and the call isn't called appropriately.

On the play before the FG before half time, I was wondering if the Patriots defender could have allowed the catch to occur and then hold off for a couple of seconds before tackling the TE in the middle of the field and letting the clock expire. If the Texans receiver gives himself up, it still may have taken the extra seconds to deem him down by the umpire.

Just wondering ... I guess if you have responsibility for your man, you don't want it turning into 7 points instead and so it is better to play it safe.

I knew the ref was going to call the Foster run a TD. On that play, it seemed like whatever the call was on the field, it was going to live through the review.

I feel like sometimes the Zebras use the "inconclusive evidence" mantra as a crutch. I understand the NFL's intent, and I'm not sure of a better solution, but it seems like you can always bet on the "inconclusive evidence" reasoning when it comes to close calls. There have been many instances where it seems there is enough evidence and the call isn't called appropriately.

Can't say it was the same ref every time, however, a judge on the left side first signaled TD when the replay appears to show he probably could not have seen where the ball was. I believe it was the same left side ref who called the USC against BL. I believe it was the left side ref who was pointing down (no fumble) as the rest of the crew was looking to see who recovered the fumble. I believe it was the left side judge who flagged Gregory on his personal foul penalty.

I'm a zero on a 1 to 10 scale of ref conspiracy....but I am interested to know if the same ref made many of the questionable calls and if he will be on the crew of the Patriots-Ravens game.

Can't say it was the same ref every time, however, a judge on the left side first signaled TD when the replay appears to show he probably could not have seen where the ball was. I believe it was the same left side ref who called the USC against BL. I believe it was the left side ref who was pointing down (no fumble) as the rest of the crew was looking to see who recovered the fumble. I believe it was the left side judge who flagged Gregory on his personal foul penalty.

I'm a zero on a 1 to 10 scale of ref conspiracy....but I am interested to know if the same ref made many of the questionable calls and if he will be on the crew of the Patriots-Ravens game.

I'm right with you in the conspiracy as well. I think it's more of a psychological effect. It's easier to remember the bad calls against our favor rather than for our favor. Just like on a test, we all can remember how many questions we missed by guessing, but we seldom remind ourselves of the ones we got right by guessing.

I just feel like if a ref is going to review a close call on the field, he's more likely going to stand with the call, citing inconclusive evidence, as opposed to making a judgement call with the aid of replay. My thought is how many calls are made using "inconclusive evidence" as the reasoning when there was seemingly sufficient evidence on the replay.

The replay I saw the clock was at 0 before a whistle was blown... One of the many unacceptable calls that could've blew the game.

I agree, but if I was a mobster, I'd have this refs legs broken. They could not make the Texans cover.

I occasionally bet on sports, but I feel like sports betting should be outlawed outright after watching that game. Usually if a ref or two are paid off, it's a lot more subtle than it was last night, and if the refs can't manage to achieve the desired result, then oh well--get 'em next time. Last night was different though and makes me think there was truly some massive $$ involved. Then again, it could have just been CBS and the league who were in cahoots with the 'ol Tony. "Just follow the money..." as they say.

I don't believe that anyone refs multiple playoff games, so I think we're all set.

I don't believe that anyone refs multiple playoff games, so I think we're all set.

Thanks for the info. IF it was the same ref who made all 3 calls (the TD by Foster, USC on BL, the "forward progress"), I don't want the guy anywhere near the two remaining Patriot wins :D

problem is...that was an all star ref crew...so the moron that made those calls IS supposed to be the cream of the crop among NFL refs....as far as a "fix" goes, I do not think there has been ANY kind of fix in the classical sense of the word since the late 80's /early 90's, when the odd Monday Night game here and there was of the suspicious variety.

The "fix" going on here is the same organized ,orchestrated "fixing" that has been going on for certain select NFL "insiders" since Goodell has become commissioner ....you actually think that super quick "forward progress" whistle and the longest uncalled "in the grasp" decision in 2007 are unrelated? You actually believe that what YOUR EYES clearly saw as to the game long systematic holding of Wilfork and the Pats DE's was just a coincidence? We've had this coinky dinky discussion before and the main problem is no one WANTS to believe it's possible...yet coinky dinky after blatant coinky dinky, season after season since 2007 goes on right in front of everyone without even the merest whiff of suspicion.

problem is...that was an all star ref crew...so the moron that made those calls IS supposed to be the cream of the crop among NFL refs....as far as a "fix" goes, I do not think there has been ANY kind of fix in the classical sense of the word since the late 80's /early 90's, when the odd Monday Night game here and there was of the suspicious variety.

The "fix" going on here is the same organized ,orchestrated "fixing" that has been going on for certain select NFL "insiders" since Goodell has become commissioner ....you actually think that super quick "forward progress" whistle and the longest uncalled "in the grasp" decision in 2007 are unrelated? You actually believe that what YOUR EYES clearly saw as to the game long systematic holding of Wilfork and the Pats DE's was just a coincidence? We've had this coinky dinky discussion before and the main problem is no one WANTS to believe it's possible...yet coinky dinky after blatant coinky dinky, season after season since 2007 goes on right in front of everyone without even the merest whiff of suspicion.

Amen I am strongly convinced that was either rigged against us or just set up in a way so the game was close and not a blow out.

In these big games the NFL needs people to keep tuning in for $$ they cannot have blow outs. The reason why next weekends game against the Ravens will be close will be because the NFL needs it to be. Our receivers are going to get mugged and our DBs called for PIs to keep it close.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Back