PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

*****ty Head Ref Gives Texans 3 Fugazi Points

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brady was going nuts when Ridley was blown up for forward progress about 2 yards short when one of the lineman (can't remember who??) pushed the pile which would have comfortably made the first down!

The crew were garbage tonight!!

As it turned out, the greatest referee to ever wear the stripes (Walt Coleman) was working this weekend, but he wasn't in Foxboro.

Its the first time I've ever seen a team penalized for hurting a refs feelings.

The one I had a big problem with was when the flag was thrown for running into the kicker. There was a discussion and statement that because our player had ran into the other it was picked up. The replay showed our player wasn't even near the other player. Also, the poor punt leading to the field goal was caused by this.

One of many. The point was that the refs sucked tonight. Someone said that Tony was one of the best refs in the NFL. I don't want to see the worst.

Honestly, I don't see much difference between the "real" refs and the replacement refs. We just focus less on the "real" refs and let them get away with stupid calls. That forward progress call was terrible, just terrible.

This was a JetDell screw job from the start, not trying to make the Patriots lose per se but to keep it close for television ratings.

Now that 49ers game I was at when the punt returner touched the football and it took 20 minutes for Hocudouche to screw us that was a joke
No,now the ravens come to town with Ray Louis and Jon Harbaugh. Wouldn't it be nice to see Ray Ray go out with the SB as his last game. And what a story it would be seeing the Harbaugh brothers playing against each other in the SB. If the fix is going to be in, its going to in in this week.

Last edited:
I think a return team should be the one penalized for being horse-collar tackled .. by a kicker.

No,now the ravens come to town with ray louis and Jon Harbaugh. Wouldn't it be nice to see Ray Ray go out with the SB as his lat game. And what a story it would be seeing the Harbaugh brothers playing against each other in the SB. If the fix is going to be in, its going to in in this week.

Is it my imagination, or is Goodell now part of Ray Lewis's posse?

Amazing how much control the refs has over the outcome over a football game. And it's stealthy too. If we were two closely match teams those calls would have made it impossible for us to win.

Good thing we were much better. But when we face the Ravens or 49ers/Atlanta calls like this will put us in a hole we probably can't overcome.

Something has to be done about this. Maybe we should include penalties as part of instant replay. They will still figure out a way to give bad calls here and there, but I think it would minimize it. They're a lot less likely to make biased calls if they know it can be scrutinized in front of a national audience 6-7 times a game.

Also it makes no sense to me to still have certain types of plays not reviewable. I've hear the "subjective call" argument, but currently we already have subjective calls that go to instant replay. It just seems like they are leaving themselves little loopholes to manipulate games even with instant replay which pretty much defeats its purpose.

I still say calls like what we saw last night isn't due to the refs on a personal level, but rather mandates from the NFL itself. They wanted a competitive game and it was getting out of hand. Thankfully Karma, Ninko and Schaub came through to make up with that pick for that BS forward progress non-call fumble.

If you're going to complain about anything it should be the fumble that was recalled on the grounds of forward progress. That was Fail Mary standard officiating.

You are right.
I was at the game....my voice is shot today....and had a great view of that fumble. It was clearly a fumble.
When the ref said it was under review everyone sitting around me was very confident it would be Pats ball even before the replay was shown on the big screen. When they showed the replay we were all high fiving. When the ref started to announce the call the place was booing so loudly we couldn't hear the announcement about forward progress so had no idea the basis of the call. No one could figure it out...and there are some pretty knowledgable and experienced fans around there. I texted a friend at home and he replied and when I told everyone around me the "forward progress" theory we were incredulous.
ThEre were about ten of us trying to figure it out and not one thought of forward progress ...which tells me...it wasn't forward progress at all.

I am not complaining about this but the OP is correct that the clock stops on the whistle which came after the clock expired. That should have been it. It's not when time is called. You have to wait until the end of the play. It's never when the player calls a timeout. It's when the ref calls the timeout and the ref can't call timeout until the play is over, as signaled by the whistle.

Honestly, I don't see much difference between the "real" refs and the replacement refs. We just focus less on the "real" refs and let them get away with stupid calls. That forward progress call was terrible, just terrible.

Did anyone else notice that, while there was a quick whistle (if there was a whistle at all) on the fumble and the Ridley 1st down run, there were other times when the Pats player was clearly stopped, that the refs let the play continue with the subsequent physical abuse and attempted stripping of the ball?

No,now the ravens come to town with Ray Louis and Jon Harbaugh. Wouldn't it be nice to see Ray Ray go out with the SB as his last game. And what a story it would be seeing the Harbaugh brothers playing against each other in the SB. If the fix is going to be in, its going to in in this week.

Gee, wouldn't that be gr8?

The poor media needs SOMETHING to write about during the periods leading up to the SB, and the Seahawks destiny season is over and Peyton is already out so......

:mad:

There were some major head scratchers out there today. What's new, right?

bs forward progess on the fumble and ridley run.
4th & 1
foster td
multiple holding on texans oline with no calls
welker getting mugged on his 47 yarder but no call
possible time run out on halftime fieldgoal

and more that i can't remember because i was raging the entire game. hardly enjoyed the game because of these **** refs that could have cost us the win.

The refs were horrible but they made the proper call on that play. I don't know what you guys were watching, they showed the clock and it was at 2 seconds when Daniels was contacted down. Easily had time for the FG

The head ref must have got paid a lot of foreign money on this game! Plenty of bad calls. But, the one that really is blatant was the field goal that never should have been.

The Texans ran out the clock, but Tony said to put 2 extra seconds on the clock (WTF????). This alone was BS. That field goal never should have been.

I was more pissed about the fumble-recovery play (see my sig gif) where they whistled stop of progress... that was bull5hit call. First of all, they couldn't reproduce any sound of a whistle on the replay. And second of all, what fcking ref blows a whistles as soon as the player gets tackled? - I mean, literally, he must have blown his whistles as soon as the Texans player (can't remember who it was) was touched. :mad:

Last edited:
The 3 plays that stood out to me are: The Lloyd "unsportsmanlike penalty"....Really? He flipped the ball to the official and go a flag for it???? I am a high school official and have had balls thrown harder to me and I didn't throw a flag...That may have cost us a TD....

Second the "Roughing the Punter" that they picked up....Zoltan CLEARLY landed on the texans player with his plant leg....By rule this is automatically a roughing the punter and not running into because you have to allow the punter to land as he could have turned his ankle and been injured....That cost us 3 as they got the FG at the end of the half.....

Then the obvious fumble by Daniels and the ref called his forward progress...Total BS

The foster TD...I was not up in the air as much about whether he was in or not but as an official the #1 thing that you are taught is to see the ball before you make a call....The ref that called it a TD saw Foster's back and couldn't see the ball....If you watch the replay the other official is walking in at the half yard line and never signaled TD as he saw the ball and the play....So the call stands meaning they didn't have evidence to overturn a call that was made by an official that never should have made this call....Real nice officials....

The refs were horrible but they made the proper call on that play. I don't know what you guys were watching, they showed the clock and it was at 2 seconds when Daniels was contacted down. Easily had time for the FG

Clock stops on the whistle, not when the guy is down.

Clock stops on the whistle, not when the guy is down.

Yeah and I thought they blew the whistle when he was contacted down. It was a bang bang play so not unheard of to get the whistle and TO within 2 seconds. In all fairness they deserved the attempt because he did make the catch, was contacted on the ground with 2 seconds left.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back