PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Two Quarterback Roster

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the entire 2007 preseason is a small sample size? The guy has done crap in 2 years except throw INTs and look lost out there. If he can't make smart decisions against second and third stringers why would I trust the guy to make good decisions against first stringers.

He has to the end of the preseason to prove me wrong, but right now the guy sucks. He makes poor decisions. He is off target. He looks lost. And I am basing that on two year body of work.

People need to get over that regular season game in 2005 against the Dolp-hins. Cassel's performance there was a fluke. The guy has done nothing in two years that instills the slightest bit of confidence that he can be even a Rex Grossman type of starter.

I'm saying what he does in practice every year is probably more important than playing about two games' worth of pre-season action with no game plan where everybody's primary objective is not getting hurt. Is he playing against future dock workers and mechanics? Maybe, but he's also playing with them.

No way we go into the season with 2 QB's. My opinion is we go we 3 in Brady, Cassel and O'Connell. Some interesting arguments for 2, 3 and 4 QB scenarios but a developed QB is worth a lot in this league and maybe Gutz and Cassel are strugling now but they could be of value in a trade down the road. It's important we pick the right one and the next few games will be part of the equation. Let's wait and see what shakes out the rest of the pre-season, we will know on either August 26 - Roster cutdown to maximum of 75 players or August 30 - Roster cutdown to maximum of 53 players.

Why does everyone consider it unimaginable that we go into the season with 2 QBs when Belichick has done exactly that before with Cassell when he had less experience than O'Connell does now (note Cassell's limited college experience)

At mid season they can make a move on a veteran if they like one who is available.

Is it taking a risk - sure, but this is a mediocre team without Brady anyways. The season rides on Brady's health - not the choice of our backup QB.

It's a pretty simple equation in my book.

If Brady were going to be out for 10 games, I'd rather have O'Connell start Game 1 than Cassell. I think it would take about 2 games for him to be better than what we have in Cassell or Gute. And then, we'd have a "real" backup QB.

BTW, if we were we really to exclude Cassell and Gute from the 53, I would indeed want to sign a veteran. That would be the BEST situation for O'Connell and for the team. But 2 QB's may be a better option that counting on Cassell.

I'm saying what he does in practice every year is probably more important than playing about two games' worth of pre-season action with no game plan where everybody's primary objective is not getting hurt. Is he playing against future dock workers and mechanics? Maybe, but he's also playing with them.

Well, if you want to get an extensive look at Cassel, you gotta call his high school and see if they kept the game film on the guy. Otherwise, you won't have a good enough look at the guy at any level.

I have seen enough of the guy to see that he is making bad decisions. I think tomorrow night is a make or break game for him. I think it is big enough that if he doesn't perform it may be his last game with the Pats. The third preseason game is going to have Brady play most of the game assuming he isn't injured and by the fourth preseason game they will have to have made a decision on whether to get a more experienced back up or keep Cassel as #2.

Personally, I don't hold much hope for the guy.

Why does everyone consider it unimaginable that we go into the season with 2 QBs when Belichick has done exactly that before with Cassell when he had less experience than O'Connell does now (note Cassell's limited college experience)

At mid season they can make a move on a veteran if they like one who is available.

Is it taking a risk - sure, but this is a mediocre team without Brady anyways. The season rides on Brady's health - not the choice of our backup QB.

It was because Cassel had two preaseasons under his belt and was progressing nicely while he had Testeverde who knew the system very well on speed dial and could be added at a moment's notice. I don't think the Pats have either of those scenarios this year. Even then, Testeverde was eventually added to the roster for the Pats to have three QBs on the roster.

Unless there is a Testeverde type of player waiting by the phone for Belichick's call, it is silly to even entertain the thought of having only two QBs with O'Connell as the back up. You can't trust O'Connell to fill in for 2-3 games if Brady is injured nor is it fair to O'Connell for his development process.

Well, if you want to get an extensive look at Cassel, you gotta call his high school and see if they kept the game film on the guy. Otherwise, you won't have a good enough look at the guy at any level.

I have seen enough of the guy to see that he is making bad decisions. I think tomorrow night is a make or break game for him. I think it is big enough that if he doesn't perform it may be his last game with the Pats. The third preseason game is going to have Brady play most of the game assuming he isn't injured and by the fourth preseason game they will have to have made a decision on whether to get a more experienced back up or keep Cassel as #2.

Personally, I don't hold much hope for the guy.

I hate to bring up the body language thing, but the guy is pouting and looking like he can't wait to get back to his clipboard. At leasr Gutz looks aggressive out there.

Cassell looks like Rob Johnson, post Bears Tony Eason or Anthony Perkins.

There's a saying "always a bridesmaid, never a bride".

I hate to bring up the body language thing, but the guy is pouting and looking like he can't wait to get back to his clipboard. At leasr Gutz looks aggressive out there.

Cassell looks like Rob Johnson, post Bears Tony Eason or Anthony Perkins.

There's a saying "always a bridesmaid, never a bride".

Anthony Perkins....f-in brilliant

Actually, it's NOT at all the same. Cassel had a year of experience in the Patriot
system...O'Connell has had 3 months. It's not the same. Also, this year, Brady is coming off an ankle injury and who knows what else, making backup a bit more critical. No way will that happen. One year vs 3 months?? There is more chance that they cut Cassel and Gutierrez and bring in a vet than that they go with two.
I think that if you really believe that this team is mediocre without Brady, you are missing a whole lot of what is going on. The team will have a backup in place before the season starts.
It is as well in mine...close to a ZERO chance of happening.

Anthony Perkins....f-in brilliant

Psycho_Anthony_Perkins_as_Norman_Bates.jpg

:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes