PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Trick Play Ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.
FSU did a trick play in the Emerald bowl that worked really well. They threw a quick pass to the wide receiver who was actually behind the QB, then the WR faked like he was going to throw it down field, but threw it back to the QB instead. Then the QB hit another WR who was lined up in the slot and crossing the field for like a 25 yard gain.

I'm pretty sure that's the "flea flicker," right?

Here is one for you, Brady over center, Chad Jackson Directly behind him in the full back slot.. direct snap to Jackson, starts to sweep left, laterals back to Brady, Jackson breaks down field.. long pass by Brady to Jackson, TD.

This is why we are fans and they are the coaches, most of plans sound good in the sandlot, but in the NFL we do not understand the speed, defensive sets and overall game plans.

(2) More serious. Why don't teams have time-killing plays where, e.g., the RB gets the ball and wastes time running around behind the line. I always thought something like that could be useful when protecting a small lead with very little time left.

What was the game a couple of years back when the Patriots had a slim lead and were facing 4th down and long with 10 seconds or so on the clock? The announcers spend a whole time out debating whether it's better to punt or to try a running play, hoping it will chew up enough time. Then the Pats promptly do neither: Brady rolls out then heaves an enormous pass downfield, lands out of bounds, game over. Perfect.

As for true trick plays, the Vinatieri touchdown pass is still one of my all-time favorites. And I like a QB quick kick now and again too.

What was the game a couple of years back when the Patriots had a slim lead and were facing 4th down and long with 10 seconds or so on the clock? The announcers spend a whole time out debating whether it's better to punt or to try a running play, hoping it will chew up enough time. Then the Pats promptly do neither: Brady rolls out then heaves an enormous pass downfield, lands out of bounds, game over. Perfect.

As for true trick plays, the Vinatieri touchdown pass is still one of my all-time favorites. And I like a QB quick kick now and again too.

Titan playoff game in 2003 (or really beginning of 2004). Brady didn't really roll out though, and I think it was 7 seconds, but the point is still the same.

Last edited:
((4) I've always wondered if anyone has ever tried an onside kick by slamming the ball directly into an opposing player in the hope it bounces off him and is recovered by the kicking team.
Actually you are decades behind on that one...in 62/63..**** Bielski for the Colts di just that.....He put the ball on the ground and kicked it om the side. The ball was bouncing and hit hard and AT an opposing player who could not handle it. The ball bounced back and the Colts recovered. The ball HIT a player so it did not have to go 10 yards..and the Colts, who were down by a score late in the game got an easy TD and won. I agree GREAT POINT!!

My trick play involves spiking the opposing team gatorade with muscle relaxants:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tf5fSkHerZg

Promising.

How about also putting Vrabes in as TE, then a neato end-around to him!! Run it once in the first half to soften 'em up, then again in the second half, but Vrabes does a pitch-back to Brady who lofts a bomb to a streaking Troy Brown down the left side-line. Touchdown!!! Mangini and the Jet-sets will never be expecting it. Mike and the Mad Dog will get into a fist fight on radio over the ineptitude of the Jetters for not knowing it was coming!

Cool or what!! :rocker:

Man, I LOVE this game!

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure that's the "flea flicker," right?

Typically the fleaflicker is a handoff to the RB, but I suppose that it could be a WR in motion. It would be tough with the WR in motion becuase of the speed and angle to shovel it back to the QB. The other danger with the WR is it may defeat the purpose of the fleaflicker. The play is designed to get a corner or safety to bite on the run. If the WR is the run decoy, the cb or safety can bite and not cover anyone.

Tom Brady has had one of his best rushing season thus far. My trick play would be to bring Dillon in a 1 back set with 2 TEs on the left side. The Oline all pulls left and Brady fakes the handoff of to Dillon and the proceeds to score on the right on THE NAKED BOOTLEG!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes