Status
Not open for further replies.

borg

Pro Bowl Player
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
2022 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
After reading the Kevin Faulk thread, I thought it would be a good idea to make a list of players that may be on the bubble who have trade value. The Pats appear to have depth at RB, OL, TE, DL, K (I won't touch CB and S because who the hell knows there)

RB .... Dillon and Maroney are locks, Faulk and Pass are legitimate NFL players, Evans has experience, Cobbs has potential, the rest are tackling dummies. Now when you include Mills into this discussion of FB, the options open up considerably. The key to who may be expendable is the health of Pass. Assuming that he will be healthy enough to make a NFL roster....my list would be:
1) Faulk
2) Pass
Although Faulk has more value than Pass IMO, Pass can be an effective 3 down back in a back up role and the presence of Marone/Mills makes Pass a tradeable piece. Faulk could be used as the Tradeable Player if BB decides that WR or LB MUST be upgraded. Evans could net a very low draft pick(conditional) from a team desperate to add a backup and impatient enough not to allow Evans to hit Free Agency after he is cut.

KICKER .... Gramatica has looked great according to all reports. The dilemma for BB not only is production, but contract status. Gramatica has a one year deal while Gostkowski is signed through 2009. Will BB be willing to dump his 4th round pick and keep a player that will be a Free Agent after this year? So I add to my list...
1) Gramatica
There will be teams unsatisfied with their own kickers as training camp breaks and MG has been doing a fine job resurrecting his career(so far).

TE .... The Pats have depth, especially when Mills is considered with this group. Graham has to stick because he is clearly the best blocker. Watson is the emerging star(we hope) and Thomas will not be dropped considering his catching skill and draft placement. Mills versatility keeps him on the roster and his presence may affect the RB personel more. The Pats are stacked with skill players at TE and I expect BB has a plan to utilize all four. I add to my list...
0) No TEs.

DL .... In short, the D Line is deep but includes some underperformers...Hill and Sullivan. The Pats have some young beef (Wright,Smith, and Thomas?)that may push these guys into the trade market. Unfortunately, Sullivan might eat the bag of donuts he's traded for. The amount of depth seen at DL may depend on the LB situation. If BB is satisfied that his team can succeed in a 3-4, this may free up a roster spot from the DL. I add to my list...
1) Hill
2) Sullivan
Maybe some GM will be enamored by their draft positions and toss a conditional pick the Pats way...or this could be a classic addition by subtraction scenario. Jarvis Green would get considerable value in the trade market but the DL depth would get crushed. No go.

OL .... Because I expect at least 2 rookies to stick to the roster, the key is the health of Kaczur. If he gets healthy by the beginning of the season, let me be the first to place on the list
1) Gorin
A RT has some value, especially to a team in need. If BB believes that O'Callaghan has the right stuff, it could be ...Gorin, Gorin, gone.

In Summary, Faulk looks like the chip that could net the most in return. Unfortunately, I doubt he would be enough to get an impact LB or WR.

Last edited:
Aside from Faulk and probably Gorin who likely won't be cut, the others are likely FREE as they are waived and clubs can pick them up for no.

borg said:
Faulk looks like the chip that could net the most in return. Unfortunately, I doubt he would be enough to get an impact LB or WR.

That and the fact that the Patriots WON'T TRADE FAULK because they wouldn't get back anyone who'd bring more value than he does on a play-by-play basis. I don't think you people realize just how enamored with Kevin Faulk BB is. He is as effusive when talking about Faulk - as a player and a guy - as he is about ANYONE on the team outside of #12.

Trading away Faulk would definitely weaken the team, but sometimes you have to give in order to get. Faulk is a non factor in the return game which reduces his role to third down/change of pace back. His cap # is $2.5 mill in 2006 and signed through 2009. The big question is...Does BB have enough confidence in Mills/Cobbs to perform the third down role? Keep in mind I'm not advocating a trade, just presenting an option if other positions need bolstering. What I do expect is ...Pass gets PUPed, Cobb is sent to the practice squad, and Evans gets cut.

I would not trade Gorin, even though O'Callaghan is looking better and more comfortable at RT with each passing practice. (Side note, if he gets his hands on a defender, he will move the defender. And even though he looked fat and flabby in his underwear, according to the scouting people, his feet are not stone. He can move them.)

First we have to consider the injury history of O'Callaghan. 3 shoulder surgeries I think. Yes he was able to play through them in college, but that's very doubtful at this level.

Second Britt has been up and down at RT and I think he still can be on the PS this year.

Third BB lists Kazcur as day to day. And even if Kazcur comes back next Monday, he still needs time to get up to speed and he's still only a second year guy, that missed all of the offseason program due to the shoulder injury. If he's rushed back into the lineup, he could break down.

Gorin has experience starting and is fairly serviceble as a starter.

Last edited:
Trade Belichick!!! He didn't bring us the superbowl last year, and is obviously on the down side of his career. With Kraft refusing to confirm the status of his contract earlier this year, its perfectly clear that we need to get something for him before he leaves.

I hear that the Giants are shopping a real good waterboy around.....

I'd trade Gorin in a heartbeat. We have enough depth at OT. Trading Kevin Faulk is a non-starter. No way. Counting on Mills and Cobbs to do what Kevin has become ELITE at is premature. Maybe next year.

The more I have been thinking on it, I think we might be able to pick up some more conditional draft picks for Hill and Klecko.

Both seem better suited for a 4-3 team and Klecko showed some skills in the 4-3 alignment on Saturday and Hill has the physical tools to potentially flourish and currently he is stuck behind bigger, faster, optimal 3-4 lineman.

So if we keep Sullivan, Smith, and Wright, as backups at NT.

Green, Wright, Mincey (not great size or strength, but could serve), as back-ups at DE.

That gives us 5 quality DLman and 1 reclimation project, and 2 development guys.

So Klecko and Hill are expendable, but still have some value.

We can NEVER have too many 7th round draft choices.

Forget my "Trade Faulk" idea....the guy is looking tight in '06...But Vanderjerk just went down...Automatica could snag a low pick...Dallas?...Indy? haha

Trade Faulk? I'd be incredibly pissed if the Patriots did that and they wont because they arent stupid.

14thDragon said:
The more I have been thinking on it, I think we might be able to pick up some more conditional draft picks for Hill and Klecko.
I'm starting to think Hill is trying out for the Adrian Klemm Award. Patriots should try to get something for him quick before he really injures his self...

We have two weeks to get something for Hill and Klecko. I don't think we are cutting anyone else remotely tradable.

But this thread was on target; we've traded two players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes