PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Top 25 NFL players right now

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobDigital

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
This is a list I made myself so some will disagree. It is based off stats, games played, eye ball test, dominance within position and some past history/projection. Not many new names will be on it. It was hard to cut it down to just 25 so i will list some honorable mentions.

PS - Keep in mind this took some time and thought so don't hate too much :p

HMs

Hightower - Pats - LB (great LB but just missed)
Roethlisberger - Steelers - QB(just barely missing)
Elliot - Dallas - RB (not enough info yet)
Bowman - 49ers - LB (IDK what he will look like when back so he is off for now)
Evans - Tampa - WR (just missed)
Tyron Smith - OT (great player but i wonder how much of it is the other guys on that line too)
Tyrann Mathieu - Cardinals (stay healthy and you will make it!)

#26 AJ Green - WR - Bengals - I couldn't bring myself to not give him a write up. I had a hard time leaving him off.

-------

#25 Drew Brees - QB - Saints - It was hard to leave people off this list but in the end Brees to me has to make the cut. He has no defense and has willed the saints to respectability. Yes he is a stat padder at times but part of that is cause they built the entire team around him so he has to throw a lot to win.

#24 Richard Sherman - CB - Seahawks - I can not not include him. While he doesn't have a full skill set i don't think i have ever seen anyone take away the over the top route better and he is a very smart player who can use the rules to his advantages well. A loud mouth but he needs to be respected.

#23 Andrew Whitworth - OT - Bengals - Yet another great player wasted on the Bengals. They have some of the most amazing talents on their team but a dumb coach and bad QB and just bad rest of the team holds them badck.

#22 - David Johnson - RB - I had to ass him. For over 16 games in a row he has showed it and no one has had an answer for him. Clearly one of the best all around RBs in the NFL and has yet to miss a start. He just needs to log more time in.

#21 Patrick Peterson - CB - Cardinals - I was thinking between him and Sherman but gave him the nod due to a more balanced game. A very good player and is the glue that holds that D together and team when injuries strike.

#20 Geno Atkins - DT - Bengals - He is having a bit of a silent year but his play is still up there. He is a force still. It is sad to me the 2 best pass rushing DTs are on teams that are just plain bad.

#19 Aaron Rodgers - QB - Packers Him falling this far is not because he is not good. He is VERY good. It is just we also have a lot of really good talent in the NFL. Also the last few years have not been kind to him as before in 2014 he would be much higher. Still elite and a future HOFer.

#18 Travis Fredick - C - Cowboys - Yeah.. Dallas has 2 of the best OL in the NFL. That is why they dominate there so much. Besides a monster guard they have the best center. We thought it was a reach at the time. Right now it looks like a steal.

#17 Marhsall Yanda - OG - Ravens - if not for Zach Martin being the monster he is this would be the best guard in the NFL and we would be happy to have him hold that title. Still a great player

#16 Earl Thomas - S - Seahawks - A fantastic player no doubt and though I have him as the 2nd best safety he is still one of the most impactful secondary players in the NFL.

#15 Aqib Talib - CB - Broncos - I had to pick a CB and could not wait any longer. This issue has been this has been a highly inconsistent recently with no one guy seperating. However over the past 2 years Talib to me has been the best so I will give him the nod and name of current best CB in the NFL.

#14 Le'Veon Bell - RB - Steelers - After missing a lot of time in 2015 and a suspension for this year he is back to the best RB in the NFL. Power, quickness, speed, hands, reliability. He really is a heck of a weapon and I hope nothing else keeps him out. The only thing keeping him from being higher is just missing too many games in his career to this point. Finish this year and play healthy for most of next year and he will move up.

#13 Justin Houston - Edge - Chiefs - Was say again last night what this guy can do if healthy and if i am to be 100% honest I wanted to see if he looked the same before putting him on this list. Looks great to me.

#12 Antonio Brown - WR - Steelers - Beast of a player and if not for the athletic freak Julio Jones would normally be the best WR in the NFL in most years.

#11 Harrison Smith - S - Vikings - I will be honest. Before i thought of making this post a few days ago i knew only a little about him cause i never really got to see him play much. Now I am convinced he is the best safety since Ed Reed and better than Thomas a bit.

#10 Khalil Mack - Edge - Raiders - This is a guy I think maybe should be higher if anything. His production looks good put side by side with Miller except he hasn't done it for years. Overall the 2nd best pure pass rusher in the NFL.

#9 Joe Thomas - OT - Browns - Okay I have to give him his due. Though his play at times is not worthy of this spot his consistently counts for something. He is arguably the best OT in the NFL but if i had to pick one go to be my OT it would be him due to dependability and history.

#8 Julio Jones - WR - Falcons - The best WR in the NFL by just a bit. He makes a guy like Matt Ryan look really good. I think we are seeing a bit of the Moss/Culpeper effect here though. Jones is a special athlete.

#7 Aaron Donald - DT - Rams - Geno Atkins move over. This is now the best interior pass rusher in the NFL. Also a very good run stuffer as well. Too bad he is wasted on a bad team but he is one of the rare interior guys you need to game plan for.

#6 Zach Martin - OG - Cowboys - What can i say about this player? He is an absolute beast at his spot. One of the few pure guards destined for the HOF. Though other great OL are in Dallas he is the stand out to me.

#5 Rob Gronkwoski - TE - Patriots - How can the GOAT TE be so low? He tends to just not stay on the field as much or be effective consistently when on. When 100% right though he is IMO the best player overall in the NFL.

#4 Luke Keuchly - LB - Panthers - The best LB in the game. He sometimes gets away with a bit of holding :) but unquestionably is the best true LB in the NFL IMO.

#3 JJ Watt - DL - Texans - Missing this year but he doesn't tend to miss games. The dude is a beast and besides the Pats no one else really stops him. It makes me wonder what that Houston D will look like next year with him.

#2 Von Miller - Edge - Broncos - This was a hard spot to pick as so many defenders are worthy of this spot. Some guys have more sacks too. However no one seems to have an answer for Miller consistently where as a guy like Watt seems to be figured out by BB (but no one else).

#1 Tom Brady - QB - Patriots - This is super close and can be called a homer pick but over the past 3 season he has been the undisputed best at his position. Doesn't miss games due to injury and has been remarkably consistent. His ability to play through injury was the tie breaker for me.

Don't know if I would put Rodgers in based on his play this year.

Sorry but Hightower is nowhere near a top 25 player in the NFL

Nice list though

Antonio Brown isn't in the top 10? lol

Tyron Smith is the best tackle in football, and Tyrann Mathieu and Eric Berry both probably belong somewhere as well.

Zach Martin Baby. Respect. Brady is the best player in the sport.

think its kind of unfair to put rogers above Brees. Brees has carried the team with horrible defences sence 2006. This year is no different. His , I think high Int rate is usually forcing the ball because the defense forces the offence to average 32pts a game or lose. Which is ridiculous. Glad you pointed out hes not a stat padder, thats so lame , and we hear it alot. He really has no chioce but to pass 40-50 times a game because no one is consistant. Im not even sure how his arm is still connected.
If Jimmy is traded to the saints he will have to deal with the same over performance problems on offence and I wonder if Fans will call him a stats padder also, but he will have to make those pts or we will lose. Think Brees is fine at 25 thanks for the post, liked reading it, but not sure rogers is even in the top 25 right now. And the chance of Brees getting a MVP beyond winning a SB is pretty zero , hes been robbed a few times.
And not Bradys fault, FU Godell, but not sure Bradys at #1 when he didnt play every game, but im ok with it we love Brady.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back