PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Top 10 QBs of all time

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't agree with you on that one. I used to consider Manning elite but elite has to include the composure it takes to stand in the big moments and deliver and he does not have that.

Peyton Manning is one of the 9-15 best QBs of all time. That makes him elite.

I think my ranking of QB's would have this criteria:

Note: I rank team accomplishments above individual stats because if you don't win games it doesn't mean much.

1. SB ranked by wins vs losses
2. Conference Championship ranked by wins vs losses
3. Playoffs ranked by wins vs losses
4. Regular season wins and losses
5. QB rating and completion percentage
6. Individual NFL records like number of completions without an interception
7. Individual NFL rewards like SB MVP or Pro Bowl appearances.

A QB who does well in both Playoffs and Regular seasons would be ranked higher then a QB who only did well in the regular season. Manning would rank high on criteria 4 to 7 but would lose points in the first 3 because of the number of post season losses he has. I believe Manning has the most post season losses at 13 and most first round post season losses at 9.

It's all about the eye test.

Nobody does what Brady does. Nobody in the history of the NFL.

People have no idea how spoiled they are. For some teams going one-and-done would be considered an awesome season, because they haven't played a playoff game in 10 years.

Patriot fans get AFC Championship games almost every single season. OF COURSE PEOPLE HATE US. This is just ridiculous. If we go this year, it'll be 10 AFC Championship games for Tom Brady.

Seriously WTF. The NFL is like ours and everybody else is just an extra. Rivals come and go.

4 rings. 6 appearances. WTF, man.

After week 1 kick off, we enjoy the hunt for the 5th. Who the hell else gets to do this?

OF COURSE THEY HATE US.

If the elite cut off is at 15 then my list would look like:

-----------------------------Elite--------------------
1) Brady
2) Montana
3) Unitas
4) Graham
5) Staubach
6) Starr
7) Marino
8)Baugh
9) Young
10) Elway
11)Favre
12)A. Rodgers
13)Aikman
14)Kelly
15)Roethlisberger
-------------------------------------Great---------------
16)Bradshaw
17) My Mom
18) The Fat guy across the street mowing his lawn.
19) Bart Simpson
20) Manning

1) Brady
2) Montana
3) Unitas
4) Graham
5) Staubach
6) Starr
7) Marino
8)Baugh
9) Young
10) Elway
11)Favre
12)A. Rodgers
13)Aikman
14)Kelly
15)Roethlisberger
16)Bradshaw
17) My Mom
19) Bart Simpson
20) Manning

There is no way you can justify having Marino or Kelly above Manning, since Marino never won the SB and was a choking dog (8-10, 77.1 career QB playoff QB rating, 0 Lombardis) just like Manning, and Kelly (9-8, 72.3 career playoff QB rating, 0 Lombardis) blew 4 shots at the Lombardi and wasn't really any good in any of his 4 SB appearances. Just as Eli's getting two Lombardis shields him somewhat from the rest of his otherwise borderline miserable career, Peyton getting that one Lombardi shields him from the "0fers" when it comes to blowing opportunities.

I get the hostility towards Manning. I've often called him out for being the choking dog that he is, and I enjoy doing that here and elsewhere. That said, there's a difference between bagging on him when comparing him to his true peers and just plain being spiteful.

Just my $.02

1) Brady
2) Montana
3) Unitas
4) Graham
5) Staubach
6) Starr
7) Marino
8)Baugh
9) Young
10) Elway
11)Favre
12)A. Rodgers
13)Aikman
14)Kelly
15)Roethlisberger
16)Bradshaw
17) My Mom
19) Bart Simpson
20) Manning

Good list, but everyone knows your Mom is simply a system quarterback.

There is no way you can justify having Marino or Kelly above Manning, since Marino never won the SB and was a choking dog (8-10, 77.1 career QB playoff QB rating, 0 Lombardis) just like Manning, and Kelly (9-8, 72.3 career playoff QB rating, 0 Lombardis) blew 4 shots at the Lombardi and wasn't really any good in any of his 4 SB appearances. Just as Eli's getting two Lombardis shields him somewhat from the rest of his otherwise borderline miserable career, Peyton getting that one Lombardi shields him from the "0fers" when it comes to blowing opportunities.

I get the hostility towards Manning. I've often called him out for being the choking dog that he is, and I enjoy doing that here and elsewhere. That said, there's a difference between bagging on him when comparing him to his true peers and just plain being spiteful.

Just my $.02

Haha, so the lawn mower guy and my mom were ok? I was just kidding for the most part anyways, but I truly do not consider him an elite QB. He is going to get into the Hall of Fame based on his stats alone and he is one of the best regular season QB's but 9 one and dones and a losing playoff record despite being on some decent teams keeps him out of the elite category for me. Marino on the other hand played on mostly mediocre teams and never had a hall of fame team mate. If he had been on a Montana or Aikman type team he might have had his ring(s). Then again I could be wrong. As much as a Football is a game of skill it will always have a luck element to it. If Norwoods kick was good Kelly and the Bills would have had a ring. So your 2 cents are good sense except I can't call Peyton elite. My mom and the lawn mower guy on the other hand are a whole different story. :)

manning is like an OC on the field....on top of being an amazing QB.....its awe inspiring to watch

but brady is great, too
Wrong. At best he is an assistant to the OC (not one who gets coffee :) ) Which would be the better use of his time, weight room (or passing drills) or designing a game plan. Yes, the OC listens to him. But every good OC (or HC) listens to QB he respects (Rookies and vets with poor study habits - think Vick or RG3 - need not apply :) ) Brady is as much an "OC on the field" as Manning. So is Rodgers, Roethlesberger, Rivers, Romo, etc. (I don't know those coaches or how much they respect their QB. I could be wrong but should be right.)

If you mean his audibles, dude, all decent QBs can audible. Not just Peyton and Brady. Dude, we are talking Dalton level QBs. They just don't make a big deal flapping their arms and stuff. Again, this is based on the coach trusting the QB. (Yeah, I would not trust Dalton, but Marvin Lewis might.)

I kina agree. I'd say top 20, but 6 of one half dozen of another.

I think my ranking of QB's would have this criteria:

Note: I rank team accomplishments above individual stats because if you don't win games it doesn't mean much.

1. SB ranked by wins vs losses
2. Conference Championship ranked by wins vs losses
3. Playoffs ranked by wins vs losses
4. Regular season wins and losses
5. QB rating and completion percentage
6. Individual NFL records like number of completions without an interception
7. Individual NFL rewards like SB MVP or Pro Bowl appearances.

A QB who does well in both Playoffs and Regular seasons would be ranked higher then a QB who only did well in the regular season. Manning would rank high on criteria 4 to 7 but would lose points in the first 3 because of the number of post season losses he has. I believe Manning has the most post season losses at 13 and most first round post season losses at 9.

I agree, but you got "team" and "individual" stats as if there is a real distinction. All are team stats. Take an "individual" completion. He needs a receiver to catch it. Several other eligible receivers to run decoy routes. Five guys to block. A RB to pick up a blitzer or run into the pattern. Heck, even a good defense so he does feel he has to force it or get him good field position.

People have no idea how spoiled they are. For some teams going one-and-done would be considered an awesome season, because they haven't played a playoff game in 10 years.

Patriot fans get AFC Championship games almost every single season. OF COURSE PEOPLE HATE US. This is just ridiculous. If we go this year, it'll be 10 AFC Championship games for Tom Brady.

Seriously WTF. The NFL is like ours and everybody else is just an extra. Rivals come and go.

After week 1 kick off, we enjoy the hunt for the 5th. Who the hell else gets to do this?

OF COURSE THEY HATE US.

Speaking of criteria I thought it be good to mention mine and my thinking behind my list. Basically my ranking comes down to one thing. Which QB is most likely to win me a championship. That is actually a very hard question to answer and a lot of it is guess work at times.

Can you win enough in the regular season to get in?
If you get in can you hopefully get good seeding?
Can you play consistently well in the playoffs and give your team a chance to win?
If it comes down to your team needing you in the 4th for a drive to go ahead can you not crack?

Stuff like that. I made my list with a lot and more of those questions in mind.

However no QB's performance exist in a vacuum and the type of opponent you face and players you have around you matter. Also being able to show you can win by actually doing it is important but just counting rings is not automatically a good indication.

For instance Manning has a ring and Marino does not. I put Marino on and left Manning off my top 10 which appears to go counter to what my criteria stats. However Manning won against one of the worst QBs to ever play in the game and against a D that was injured. The level of difficulty of the opponent was not much. Frankly the bears were drastically over matched 52 vs 52 (not counting QBs).

So not all rings are created equal and you need to look at other circumstances.

For instance Manning has a ring and Marino does not. I put Marino on and left Manning off my top 10 which appears to go counter to what my criteria stats. However Manning won against one of the worst QBs to ever play in the game and against a D that was injured. The level of difficulty of the opponent was not much. Frankly the bears were drastically over matched 52 vs 52 (not counting QBs).

While this is true, Marino was playing during a time where the AFC was complete garbage, yet he only managed to make one SB appearance and had a sub .500 record in the playoffs.

Basically, Marino was playing on the easiest setting for almost his entire career. Manning at least has the excuse of losing out to the Patriots, which would be the equivalent of the Cowboys/49ers from Marino's time.

You're list is a lot more "wrong" if you've got Manning at #2 than if you leave Manning off the list completely. Manning at #2 is insane.

Then again, so's Marino at #3.
I think Manning probably belongs more around the #5 slot. I put Brady, Montana, Unitas, and Marino ahead of him. I'd put Elway, Young, Staubach, Bradshaw, and Aikman to cap off my top 10.

So
Brady
Montana
Unitas
Marino
Manning
Elway
Young
Staubach
Bradshaw
Aikman

I put Rodgers, Brees, O. Graham, Warner, Starr, Kelly, Fouts, Favre, Tarkenton and Moon outside the top 10 for a rough not in order top 20. Rodgers will likely break into the list soon.

Last edited:
I think Manning probably belongs more around the #5 slot. I put Brady, Montana, Unitas, and Marino ahead of him. I'd put Elway, Young, Staubach, Bradshaw, and Aikman to cap off my top 10.

So
Brady
Montana
Unitas
Marino
Manning
Elway
Young
Staubach
Bradshaw
Aikman

I put Rodgers, Brees, O. Graham, Warner, Starr, Kelly, Fouts, Favre, Tarkenton and Moon outside the top 10 for a rough not in order top 20. Rodgers will likely break into the list soon.

So you would rather have Manning take your team into the playoffs rather than Staubach, Aikman, Young or Elway? These lists are always fun for debate.

So you would rather have Manning take your team into the playoffs rather than Staubach, Aikman, Young or Elway? These lists are always fun for debate.

Elway's only 2-3 in the SB, and he only got the two after he was sidelined as "the man". He's actually a pretty good comparable to Manning, if you're talking playoffs. Before T.D. arrived on the scene, Elway was 7-8 in the playoffs, with 4 one-and-done runs in 8 appearances, and he'd missed the playoffs something like 6 times in his career.

Albeit Manning beat Rex Grossman, him winning that super bowl combined with his stats puts him at that spot. We do have to admit he beat us to go to that super bowl. I have to take my bias glasses off at some point, though I do believe he's overrated.

Brady
Flutie
Bledsoe
Grogan
Parilli
Plunkett
Garoppolo
Ramsey (loved that Philly game)

:D:D:D Homers gone wild.

Elway's only 2-3 in the SB, and he only got the two after he was sidelined as "the man". He's actually a pretty good comparable to Manning, if you're talking playoffs. Before T.D. arrived on the scene, Elway was 7-8 in the playoffs, with 4 one-and-done runs in 8 appearances, and he'd missed the playoffs something like 6 times in his career.

I guess my judgement of some of these lists is partly due to my gut feeling or recollection of watching games in the 70's and 80's and less to do with stats. I do not remember thinking while watching Staubach, Elway, Young or Aikman play in a big game that they were going to choke or that they looked rattled but with Peyton you feel that way and more times than not you would be right. If I remember correctly Peyton has 27 career pick 6's compared with Brady's 8. Anyways it is all debatable.

I guess my judgement of some of these lists is partly due to my gut feeling or recollection of watching games in the 70's and 80's and less to do with stats. I do not remember thinking while watching Staubach, Elway, Young or Aikman play in a big game that they were going to choke or that they looked rattled but with Peyton you feel that way and more times than not you would be right. If I remember correctly Peyton has 27 career pick 6's compared with Brady's 8. Anyways it is all debatable.

predator-shake-o.gif

Hey, man, we can rattle sabers in any direction on a topic like this, and it won't matter, so we might as well enjoy it, right? We're arguing the unprovable, after all. You have yourself a great day.

Last edited:

OF COURSE THEY HATE US.
If we weren't us, I'd hate us too!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back