PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Top 10 QBs of all time

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobDigital

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Figure nothing else is going on. Do another top 10 list. This list will not feature QBs who did not play the modern era (AKA SB era) as the game is so different that they should have their own category... That list would have names like Baugh, Graham, Luckman, ect... You need to play at least some part of your career in the SB era to qualify for this list.

#10 Kurt Warner – A bit of a surprise to some I am sure. However it should not be. This guy was really good. Not only did he put up the numbers in the regular season his 31 TDs to 14 Ints in the playoffs with a 9-4 record speak well. He went to 3 SBs and really should have won 2… that Pitt lose was very fluky ala some of the loses Brady has had. What is interesting about his career is his injuries. He had 3 reasonably healthy years at the beginning and 3 reasonably healthy years at the end and took his team to the SB half the time when this was the case with 2 different franchises. What could have been if he did not have basically 5 years wasted. Still what he accomplished was very impressive in the time and he showed more in just those 6 healthy years then the vast majority of starting QBs have in entire careers. However health and longevity matter so those can and should be held against him.

#9 Dan Marino – Marino; the best to never win. However when you look at him he was not so bad in the playoffs honestly. Yes he did not do great much of the time but he does lack many of the legendary vomit inducing performances that Peyton Manning has. The 4 worst happened at the tail end of his career and I don’t think that is coincidence. By the time the hard cap came into play he was past his best days and it was too late. The truth is if he had to play Grossman and Manning had to play Montana I think we know who would have a ring. His loses in his prime were to Seattle 83 (rookie year), SF 85 (simply a power house), Patriots 86 (better team), Bills 87 (put up 34 points.. that one is on the D), Bills 92 (much better team but the worst lose of his prime years with only 10 points). SD 95 (had a very good game and run that year). Then he helps score 22 vs the Bills next year in a “meh” game but falls off hard after. He was not clutch by any means but I think performances at the end hurts his case for what were some very decent games in his prime years and he never lost a game in his prime years he shouldn’t have IMO.

#8 John Elway – I know this one might get me hate one way or another. However, what he did with the team he had; (to get them to the SB 3 times) was very impressive but it was clear how overmatched his team was. He also did win 2 and was a very large part of the 2nd one throwing for 336 yards. Did he get carried a little? Yep. Did he do some carrying of his on in those runs he won? You bet. His stats are not impressive but he is a man where the stats do not tell the whole story. Not to mention he did improve as time passed with his passing and that is a big reason why he was able to get over the hump.

#7 Aaron Rodgers - This might be too high too early to some. He has started for 7 years and in this time he has been more impressive than many others QBs I could put over him. Not only does he win he has the best stats of his era and a ring too. The way he has played in the playoffs though is key here. He gets a bit of this choker label but I am not sure that is fair. 23 TDs 7 Ints and 101 QB rating in the playoffs looks good on paper. I am not for excuse making but looking at the games the only 2 loses in the playoffs I really put on him are the past 2 years (SF and SEA) and you can argue the injury was a big reasons he lost last year though I think he was probably being a bit of a baby. The other 3 loses his team gave up 51, 37 and 45 points. I will cut him some slack for those. I am putting him here assuming another ring is coming. If not I might reevaluate.

#6 Bart Starr - This one is usually hard to defend but it really shouldn't be. Yes he had a great coach and great team. Still does not change the fact he was 9-1 in the playoffs and had 2 SB (5 overall) championships. His QB rating in the playoffs speaks for itself in such an era. The guy knew how to win and though he often didn't need to he could and would take over games if need be like he did vs Dallas on route to their 1st SB. He knew that the first key to winning is not losing and how easy it can be to beat yourself. One of the best ever.

#5 Steve Young - What could have been. Steve Young did not get a chance to start till he was 30. I don't care how healthy you are 30 is 30. No amount of practice can make you ready for the NFL. You just need to go out there and play. He had to learn how to be a starter in the NFL while also on the verge of his physical decline starting which matters so much for a QB that likes to run. I believe if he got to start when he was 22 or 23 and go the more normal route he would have gotten more than 1 ring. However his play in his prime and in that overall 8 year span of starting is enough to put him on this list. We barely got to see his best but it was very good.

#4 Johnny Unitas - Basically invented the modern QB position and is still one of the best at it. I will not say too much as I have not seen enough of his tape to go into detail but it is clear to me he deserves this spot but is not in my "holy trinity".

#3 Roger Staubach - Roger the Dodger. This is the most underrated great player of all time in any sport. He went to 4 SBs and won 2. He was up against the most loaded era in all of football. The Steelers dynasty which was just so ridiculously over talented all around. The Dolphins in the early 70s which went undefeated and nearly did so the next year. No other QB on this list had to go against such monstrous teams. I do believe if him and Montana swap eras Montana might be 2 out of 4 and Staubach 4 out of 4. However looking at the play of each Montana seems to be just a little better.

#2 Joe Montana - Some will call him the best. Some will bring up his D and talent around him and argue he is a bit overrated. I think his play speaks for itself. He is the cog which made the offense go and though his team was stacked he had to beat other stacked teams on his way to 4 championships. He was still the best till about 4 months ago. And solidly holds the 2nd place spot that is not getting taken away anytime soon

#1 Tom Brady - Though I could understand Montana being #1 Brady to me has been better. Regardless of what others might say not only is he one of the most clutch QBs of all time he is the best regular season QB to boot. His winning % is the highest of any QB with even comparable sample size and he is so consistent. Last year getting his 4th ring and the way he got it is the kicker to me. Best ever.

Last edited:
Notable snubs.

Peyton Manning - I felt leaving him off was the right choice. It is not just last year but his entire career even his best years he has just not produced even against lesser competition when it mattered most. The only time he won a SB was against perhaps the worst team to ever make it to that game in its history (the D was hurt and the QB sucked) when he had a team loaded on O and D. I just don't see it. He is one of the best when everything goes perfectly but that means nothing. Greatest is to me how you do when things around you don't go well and your team needs you.

Brett Favre - He won with the #1 O and #1 D against a Pats team where Bledsoe threw 4 Ints and his kick returner made points and huge plays. Bravo. Why is it he could never do more? Cause he never learned how to manage a game. Too many unforced errors and unwillingness to change his game when needed hurts him.

Troy Aikman - Sorry. He would be #11... Got carried a bit too much for my taste. He was kind of in the situation Bart Starr was but when asked to carry he could not as much. 11-5 record is great. 23 TDs and 17 Ints is not so good.

Bradshaw - Post season carry ability was good but just too many holes in his game for him to make it.

Last edited:
Figure nothing else is going on. Do another top 10 list. This list will not feature QBs who did not play the modern era (AKA SB era) as they game is so different that they should have their own category... That list would have names like Baugh, Graham, Luckman, ect... You need to play at least some part of your career in the SB era to qualify for this list.

#10 Kurt Warner – A bit of a surprise to some I am sure. However it should not be. This guy was really good. Not only did he put up the numbers in the regular season his 31 TDs to 14 Ints in the playoffs with a 9-4 record speak well. He went to 3 SBs and really should have won 2… that Pitt lose was very fluky ala some of the loses Brady has had. What is interest about his career is his injuries. He had 3 reasonably healthy years at the beginning and 3 reasonably healthy years at the end and took his team to the SB half the time when this was the case with 2 different franchises. What could have been if he did not have basically 5 years wasted. Still what he accomplished was very impressive in the time and he showed more in just those 6 healthy years then the vast majority of starting QBs have in entire careers. However health and longevity matter so those can and should be held against him.

#9 Dan Marino – Marino; the best to never win. However when you look at him he was not so bad in the playoffs honestly. Yes he did not do great much of the time but he does lacks many of the legendary vomit inducing performances that Peyton Manning has. The 4 worst happened at the tail end of his career and I don’t think that is coincidence. By the time the hard cap came into play he was past his best days and it was too late. The truth is if he had to play Grossman and Manning had to play Montana I think we know who would have a ring. His loses in his prime were to Seattle 83 (rookie year), SF 85 (simply a power house), Patriots 86 (better team), Bills 87 (put up 34 points.. that one is on the D), Bills 92 (much better team but the worst lose of his prime years with only 10 points). SD 95 (had a very good game and run that year. Then he helps score 22 vs the Bills next year in a “meh” game but falls off hard after. He was not clutch by any means but I think performances at the end hurts his case for what were some very decent games in his prime years and he never lost a game in his prime years he shouldn’t have IMO.

#8 John Elway – I know this one might get me hate one way or another. However what he did with the team he had to get them to the SB 3 times was very impressive but it was clear how overmatched his team was. He also did win 2 and was a very large part of the 2nd one throwing for 336 yards. Did he get carried a little? Yep. Did he do some carrying of his on in those runs he won? You bet. His stats are not impressive but he is a man where the stats do not tell the whole story. Not to mention he did improve as time passed with his passing and that is a big reason why he was able to get over the hump.

#7 Aaron Rodgers - This might be too high too early to some. He has started for 7 years and in this time he has been more impressive than many others QBs I could put over him. Not only does he win and have the best stats of his era and a ring. The way he has played in the playoffs though is key here. He gets a bit of this choker label but I am not sure that is fair. 23 TDs 7 Ints and 101 QB rating in the playoffs looks good on paper. I am not for excuse making but looking at the games the only 2 loses in the playoffs I really put on him are the past 2 years (SF and SEA) and you can argue the injury was a big reasons he lost last year though I think he was probably being a bit of a baby. The other 3 loses his team gave up 51, 37 and 45 points. I will cut him some slack for those. I am putting him here assuming another ring is coming. If not I might reevaluate.

#6 Bart Starr - This one is usually hard to defend but it really shouldn't be. Yes he had a great coach and great team. Still does not change the fact he was 9-1 in the playoffs and had 2 SB (5 overall) championships. His QB rating in the playoffs speaks for itself in such an era. The guy knew how to win and though he often didn't need to he could and would take over games if need be like he did vs Dallas on route to their 1st SB. He knew that the first key to winning is not losing and how easy it can be to beat yourself. One of the best ever.

#5 Steve Young - What could have been. Steve Young did not get a chance to start till he was 30. I don't care how healthy you are 30 is 30. No amount of practice can make you ready for the NFL. You just need to go out their and play. He had to learn how to be a starter in the NFL while also on the verge of his physical decline starting which matters so much for a QB that likes to run. I believe if he got to start when he was 22 or 23 and go the more normal route he would have gotten more than 1 ring. However his play in his prime and in that overall 8 year span of starting is enough to put him on this list. We barely got to see his best but it was very good.

#4 Johnny Unitas - Basically invented the modern QB position and is still one of the best at it. I will not say too much as I have not seen enough of his tape to go into detail but it is clear to me he deserves this spot but is not in my "holy trinity".

#3 Roger Staubach - Rodger the Dodger. This is the most underrated great player of all time in any sport. He went to 4 SBs and won 2. He was up against the most loaded era in all of football. The Steelers dynasty which was just so ridiculously over talented all around. The Dolphins in the early 70s which went undefeated and nearly did so the next year. No other QB on this list had to go against such monstrous teams. I do believe if him and Montana swap eras Montana might be 2 out of 4 and Staubach 4 out of 4. However looking at the play of each Montana seems to be just a little better.

#2 Joe Montana - Some will call him the best. Some will bring up his D and talent around him and argue he is a bit overrated. I think his play speaks for itself. He is the cog which made the offense go and though his team was stacked he had to beat other stacked teams on his way to 4 championships. He was still the best till about 4 months ago. And solidly holds the 2nd place spot that is not getting taken away anytime soon

*1 Tom Brady - Though I could understand Montana being #1 Brady to me has been better. Regardless of what others might say not only is he one of the most clutch QBs of all time he is the best regular season QB to boot. His winning % is the highest of any QB with even comparable sample size and he is so consistent. Last year getting his 4th ring and the way he got it is the kicker to me. Best ever.
See what I did there? Yup I suck.

1) Tom Brady
2) Peyton Manning
3) Dan Marino
4) Joe Montana
5) Johnny Unitas
6) John Elway
7) Otto Graham
8) Aaron Rodgers
9) Steve Young
10) Drew Brees

I know Patriots fans are biased against him, but if your list doesn't contain Manning something is wrong.

For me, personally, nothing's really changed from last year, though the SB win solidified it. The top 8:

• Brady
  • Montana
  • Starr
  • Baugh
  • Graham
  • Unitas
  • Staubach
  • Young
I can see arguments for swapping the top 3 around, and also for swapping the next 3 around, but I have that group as the clear top 8. After that, we get into more contested territory. Most of the next group can have an argument made for being #9 or #10:

• Elway
  • Moon
  • Marino
  • P. Manning
  • Favre
  • Bradshaw
  • Rodgers
  • Fouts
  • Tarkenton
  • Aikman
  • Brees
  • Jurgensen
  • Kelly

Note: The O.P. has Warner in his top 10. Warner does not make my top 21. And that's how the water coolers remain relevant...

POST 1970

1. Marino
2. Brady
3. Montana
4. Bradshaw (I like the way he threw the ball and played better than most here, I guess)
5. Manning
6. Rodgers
7. Staubach
8. Moon
9. Young (A really good QB, but that team was loaded)
10. Fouts

Big omissions: McNair, Elway (I never thought Elway was very good, and his championships were with running teams--my eyes might deceive me but he was wildly inaccurate).

Favorite to watch who is not listed: 60s QB Joe Kapp

Big omissions: McNair

I was always a big fan of McNair, and he was certainly a unique and very good QB for awhile. Still, I'm not sure I'd put him in the top 20, let alone the top 10. Same for Warner for me.

If we went Post 1970 (which is probably more realistic, since I was not alive pre-merger), I'd have

1) Brady
2) Manning
3) Marino
4) Montana
5) Elway
6) Rodgers
7) Young
8) Brees
9) Staubach
10) Moon

1) Tom Brady
2) Peyton Manning
3) Dan Marino
4) Joe Montana
5) Johnny Unitas
6) John Elway
7) Otto Graham
8) Aaron Rodgers
9) Steve Young
10) Drew Brees

I know Patriots fans are biased against him, but if your list doesn't contain Manning something is wrong.

You're list is a lot more "wrong" if you've got Manning at #2 than if you leave Manning off the list completely. Manning at #2 is insane.

Then again, so's Marino at #3.

I was always a big fan of McNair, and he was certainly a unique and very good QB for awhile. Still, I'm not sure I'd put him in the top 20, let alone the top 10.

Well, I didn't put him in the top 10. But what impressed me was his clutch passing and will to win.

I see too many holes in the other guys not on the list.

And, I didn't include the 1960s guys. If I did include them, Otto Graham would have been in my top 4. But I only saw him on film, and though he looked incredibly impressive (really a prototype for everyone who came after him), I trust my own football watching over all else here.

Which is why I rate Marino and Bradshaw higher than most others, and which is also why I downgrade Elway.

1) Tom Brady
2) Peyton Manning
3) Dan Marino
4) Joe Montana
5) Johnny Unitas
6) John Elway
7) Otto Graham
8) Aaron Rodgers
9) Steve Young
10) Drew Brees

I hate Manning and am definitely biased against him, but I would still put him on my list. Probably somewhere in the 6-10 spot. But NO way are Manning AND Marino ahead of Montana.

1) Tom Brady
2) Peyton Manning
3) Dan Marino
4) Joe Montana
5) Johnny Unitas
6) John Elway
7) Otto Graham
8) Aaron Rodgers
9) Steve Young
10) Drew Brees

It is not cause I am a Pats fan. I just don't think Peyton is worthy of being in the top 10.

My list is based on what QB is the most likely to get me a championship. That means make the playoffs, hopefully achieve good seeding, play well in the playoffs and come through in clutch moments. Manning has done the first 2 but his lone SB win does not inspire much confidence in me considering he only played well in 1 of the games in that run and he faced such a weak team in the final game. I don't give much credit there.

I think he is HOF worthy but not first ballot. You play to win championships and I don't think he gives you as good a shot as the 10 guys I put above him and at no point in his career did his play suggest he ever really did.

I have tons of respect for Peyton but just he is not top 10 IMO.

1) Tom Brady
2) Peyton Manning
3) Dan Marino
4) Joe Montana
5) Johnny Unitas
6) John Elway
7) Otto Graham
8) Aaron Rodgers
9) Steve Young
10) Drew Brees

Why? To me his dismal performances in big games undermines his puffed up regular season stats. Yeah, I know you have to be really good to put up numbers like that but all those crummy performances in big games disqualifies you from the "creme de la creme" tier in my mind.

For me, personally, nothing's really changed from last year, though the SB win solidified it. The top 8:

• Brady
  • Montana
  • Starr
  • Baugh
  • Graham
  • Unitas
  • Staubach
  • Young
I can see arguments for swapping the top 3 around, and also for swapping the next 3 around, but I have that group as the clear top 8. After that, we get into more contested territory. Most of the next group can have an argument made for being #9 or #10:

• Elway
  • Moon
  • Marino
  • P. Manning
  • Favre
  • Bradshaw
  • Rodgers
  • Fouts
  • Tarkenton
  • Aikman
  • Brees
  • Jurgensen
  • Kelly

Note: The O.P. has Warner in his top 10. Warner does not make my top 21. And that's how the water coolers remain relevant...

Seems we have the same top 6 but you include people from the older crowd I left off. Fair enough. If you did not want to separate the eras I would probably have to include them too but it be weird. The order we have is different but that is fine.

I know I probably stand completely alone when it comes to Warner. I don't expect you or anyone else to agree with me putting him so high but I would ask you if you could find time to dig a bit deeper into him. I think he deserves to be in your top 20 :p

I look at the QB as one in which there are 5 important measurables.

1. Championships- How many have you won?
2. Winning %- How much more winning than losing have you done?
3. Touchdowns - Are you getting your team in the end zone?
4. Comebacks/Game Winning Drives- How many times have you carried your team to victory?
5. Efficiency/Success/Leadership at the position- How well did you man the position? Will your teammates follow you?

1. Brady
2. Montana
3. Unitas
4. Starr
5. Elway
6. O Graham
7. A. Rodgers
8. Staubach
9. Bradshaw..I know his numbers are average, but Pitt does not win 4 SB w/o him. Plus his offenses were pretty much always in the Top 8 or so in scoring. Not the main reason but part of it.
10. Marino..No SB wins but hes better than Manning and played on teams after 1985 with very average talent.

Steve Young can be anywhere on this list. Tough call. In the end, I think Marino is a better QB. Did more with less.

Last edited:
1) Brady
2) Montana
3) Unitas
4) Marino
5) Young
6) Favre
7) Manning
8) Staubach
9) Elway
10) Bradshaw

Seems we have the same top 6 but you include people from the older crowd I left off. Fair enough. If you did not want to separate the eras I would probably have to include them too but it be weird. The order we have is different but that is fine.

I know I probably stand completely alone when it comes to Warner. I don't expect you or anyone else to agree with me putting him so high but I would ask you if you could find time to dig a bit deeper into him. I think he deserves to be in your top 20 :p

Nah... Warner's might not be in my top 25, never mind top 20. After the 21 I listed, Warner can battle it out with the likes of Roethlisberger, Stabler, Anderson, Tittle and Luckman. It's not that I don't like Warner. It's that I have a hard time minimizing his 'middle' years, even with the issues he had to deal with.

But, again, this is what water coolers are for, and that's the fun of these lists/discussions. We're not going to get full agreement on then, and that's a good thing, because there are too many angles for there to be one 'right' answer all the way down the line. Heck, when it comes to rating QBs, I can't even begin to figure out where to place Randall Cunningham, for example, and we're talking about what would be my own list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down