PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tony Massarotti rips Patriots and Pats fans [merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stop buying the Herald. Stop visiting their website, even if you just visit to post comments bashing them. If you want to bash them post your comments here or email specific writers or editors. Call WEEI and tell them you won't listen if they have guests on who write for the Herald. John Tomase, Tony Mass, and the Herald have declared war on the Patriots and their fans, we need to fight back. Tony's article is one of the most disgusting, insulting pieces of garbage I have ever read. I hope and pray he is on the big show today because if he is I will be calling for the first time ever and the producers better keep their fingers on the bleep buttons.

Most of these beat writers don't understand football because they have never played it. For a coach to ask somebody that watched the walk-thru what he saw is completely normal in football. Hell, even pee-wee football does that sometimes. Anyway to gain an advantage on an opponent is scouted for. Masarotti, or however you spell that greaseball's name, doesn't understand this because he's too busy looking at the lineman's asses instead of paying attention.

Another thought. This was an angry article by Tony. It showed much of the hatred he has towards the Patriots with quotes like:

"The media is a sordid business. Professional and personal relationships frequently collide. Patriots coach Bill Belichick gives Christmas gifts and holiday cards to some members of the media, cyanide-tipped glares to others. You’re either a Belichicklet or you are not, and there is no base-level membership."

and

"Publicly, the Pats will make it seem as if they regard media coverage as a distraction and obstacle to their on-field success. Privately, the Pats will be upset when they feel the Red Sox [team stats] are getting too much coverage, regardless of which team has won more titles in the past four years.

Nice strategy there.

Talk about being insecure."

Does Tony give the Patriots ammunition in a potential lawsuit against the Herald. Does this go towards the Herald's malicious intent in printing incorrect informaiton. Maybe? I could see it if I were on the jury.

What an excellent point!

Re: New Herald Policy: We'll say we're sorry but we're really defiant!

The stupidity, whining and rationalizing... it's just shocking.

I will never read that piece of crap paper again.

I haven't since the walk-through story. I was at the SB and this news ruined my experience and obviously affected the team in more ways than on the field. I will never forgive them for that.

I'm not surprised to see why people want to subscribe Boston Globe newspaper because they don't have a lot of idiots such as the ones we see at Herald. These idiots will do anything to get attention in the name of competition. Do you wonder why they don't have any decency, honesty, and integrity.?

Keep talking and nobody in Boston will buy their newspaper. They are certainly on defensive.

Wow, that guy should probably see a professional. BTW, if I needed any more reason to never pick up that rag of a paper again, this was it.

LOL agreed

PFT on this column
http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/05/15/was-herald-apology-part-of-a-settlement/

Basically, Massarotti implies that anyone in the media who does anything other than criticize the Patriots is somehow in bed with them (or, at a minimum, sleeping on officially-licensed team sheets and pillow covers). And that’s just crazy, in our view. Plenty of writers and broadcasters have written good things and bad things about the Patriots since Spygate first hit the fan. And there are, indeed, plenty of bad things and good things to write.

Actually, Massarotti’s column speaks to a deeper problem in our society — a problem to which we heard Peter King allude Wednesday morning on Sirius NFL Radio. Basically, many of us cling blindly to our positions on issues of sports and politics, forming an opinion based on an initial impression, guarding it like a newborn cub, and refusing to entertain any and all evidence that might later show that our initial impression was wrong.

So here’s the reality on this long, drawn out mess, in summary fashion. Good and bad.

The Patriots cheated, for years.

The Pats continued to cheat even after they knew that the league was onto them.

The NFL imposed a stiff punishment for the cheating.

The NFL destroyed the evidence that the Patriots turned over regarding cheating, making it impossible for anyone to know the extent of the Pats’ cheating.

Other teams have cheated, and continue to cheat.

The media generally has failed in its responsibility to develop and to present evidence of other teams cheating.

Some segments of the media instead have focused on trying to develop and to present more evidence of the Patriots cheating.

Meanwhile, the Patriots authored (without cheating) one of the greatest seasons in the history of organized sports.

Senator Arlen Specter, possibly motivated by the lingering dispute between the NFL and a major cable company headquartered within Specter’s jurisdiction, publicly stuck his nose into the matter.

Simultaneously, the race among the “real” journalists to publish the long-rumored story of Super Bowl skullduggery resulted in the Herald rushing to print a story that turned out to be flat-out false.

For the Pats, the timing couldn’t have been worse; the article came out the day before a Super Bowl game that the team would go on to lose.

Though it’s impossible to know whether the Pats would have won Super Bowl XLII if the franchise hadn’t been forced to deal with this tremendous (and, as we now know, unwarranted) distraction only one day before the game, no one can credibly contend that the story had no impact on the preparations and the planning for the game.

And so the Patriots are both villain and victim. Massarotti’s notion that the public and the media can see the Pats as only one or the other is juvenile, and wrong.

It doesn’t mean that there hasn’t been media bias both for and against the Patriots. But not everyone who follows the NFL for a full or partial living is out to prove that the Patriots are good, or that the Patriots are bad. For some of us, it’s about getting to the truth, and about acknowledging all sides of one of the most complex and polarizing stories that sports has ever seen. If the Herald had been willing to do the same, the February 2 story might never have been published.

One of my brothers called Herald this morning to cancel his subscribtion and they asked him why. He told them that he didn't like what they did to Pats.

When they tried to give him 4 months FREE if he changed his mind. My brother told them that he would consider it if they FIRE Tomase.

I'd seriously like to organize a mob of fellow yahoos, hero worshipers and gutless suck-ups (Bruschi shirts, Patriots Jackets, and official Patriots-logo underoos optional) and find Mr. Tony "I wear Marv Albert's pumps" Massarotti and run him out of New England on a rail.

I think he has been stewing in his bitterness towards the Patiots over far too many bears with Ron Borges. Reiss may be a 'homer' in his opinion, but then again, 99.9% of the local fanbase doesn't hate Reiss. Maybe Tony 'Effeminate' Squeakerotti shouldn't act like he is the poster boy for successful sports journalism.

Last edited:
I'd seriously like to organize a mob of fellow yahoos, hero worshipers and gutless suck-ups (Bruschi shirts, Patriots Jackets, and official Patriots-logo underoos optional) and find Mr. Tony "I wear Marv Albert's pumps" Massarotti and run him out of New England on a rail.

I think he has been stewing in his bitterness towards the Patiots over far too many bears with Ron Borges. Reiss may be a 'homer' in his opinion, but then again, 99.9% of the local fanbase doesn't hate Reiss. Maybe Tony 'Effeminate' Squeakerotti shouldn't act like he is the poster boy for successful sports journalism.

Word on the street here today is don't expect that expansive apology and explanation from doughnut boy tomorrow to be nearly as satisfying as a krispy creme. Maz was apparently allowed to do what he did today (his Spartacus impersonation) to deflect the discussion away from firing Tomase and his editor to just hating the Herald and generating more hits and sales in the process. Making a positive out of a negative. Pat Purcell apparently thinks saying Sorry is like resetting the board and you just pick up where you left off. I hope Bob Kraft, who seems like a very good and kind man who strives to be a consiliator, isn't being naive where the Herald is concerned. Tomase is dead in Foxboro, as well as on Yawkey Way. He will struggle on any beat in Boston at this point as well he should. But his bosses don't seem to value access when it's far easier to market shock value. Probably because they can't be bothered persuing a long term strategy in a potentially short term market.

One of my brothers called Herald this morning to cancel his subscribtion and they asked him why. He told them that he didn't like what they did to Pats.

When they tried to give him 4 months FREE if he changed his mind. My brother told them that he would consider it if they FIRE Tomase.

Oh man he really showed them!

In as much as I love the logical and simple step-by-step layout of the events, I cringe at the word 'cheat'.

BTW, I boycotted BH ever since they published the cameragate story. This mess called Mr. Massoritti is known for some immature and senseless articles in the past. So, not too surprised to see some more nonsense from him. Gives me all the more reason never to log on to BH ever.

You have to ask yourself, who is the bigger effing idiot?

A man who has a career and a hobby

or a man whose career is to write about other people's hobbies

GFY Massarotti

http://coloyan.com/sports/sp051608.html

Last edited:
Massarotti is one of the dumbest voices in all of Boston media.

I can't stand him on that new radio show. He clearly doesn't have a clue, and sounds like a squeaky mouse as well.

Seriously, does Boston have the worst media ever? You've got Michael Felcher on every stinking program on FSN, and you've got squeaky Massarotti, Dan "The Clown" Shaugnessy, Ron "Moron" Borges, and a host of other bozos.

Last edited:
Crawl back into the safety of your hole Tony "Mouse"arotti. It's only a matter of time before someone steps on that little man.

Seriously, does Boston have the worst media ever? You've got Michael Felcher on every stinking program on FSN, and you've got squeaky Massarotti, Dan "The Clown" Shaugnessy, Ron "Moron" Borges, and a host of other bozos.

Boston has awesome media. Everyone you mention has entertainment value. It's entertainment. I like it. Love Felger. The only Boston sports media I can really live without is Callahan, who needs to talk politics. All the others are really entertaining.

BTW - have you ever watched a 90's Braves game on TBS ? Yeah... Boston media lookin' better isn't it ?

They might be the worst, but vast numbers on this board read or listen to them and even include their names in thread titles, so they must be entertaining.

Btw, every hit increases their clout.

Boston has awesome media. Everyone you mention has entertainment value. It's entertainment. I like it. Love Felger. The only Boston sports media I can really live without is Callahan, who needs to talk politics. All the others are really entertaining.

BTW - have you ever watched a 90's Braves game on TBS ? Yeah... Boston media lookin' better isn't it ?

Here's the issue.. Media is supposed to take an objective view and write fact.. Something these guys barely do..

This is why sirius radio is the way to go :)

Here's the issue.. Media is supposed to take an objective view and write fact.. Something these guys barely do..

I dunno... "real" media perhaps. But there is room for entertainers who have a semi-interest/knowledge of sports. Truth is : the guys you mentioned have a more objective view of sports than your "real" media has of world events. I trust Felger more than Dan Rathers or anyone on Fox News. His opinions are his opinions. He says as much. Your "real" media pretends they are saying the absolute truth...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST