PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tomase: "There is a surprise cut"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bruinz, go back and read the actual blog entry again. How much clearer could the guy make it to you that even HE was skeptical about what the "surprise" was? He couldn't have been MORE responsible about it.

I read the blog the only "skepticism" was in reference to Moss. Not in reference to a surprise cut. And, honestly, half the fans were calling for Caldwell's release anyways, so, that wouldn't have been a surprise.

Listen, Tomase has ALWAYS been a hack in my book though I did give him credit when he started getting better and seemed to be actually reporting. However, as I said, he ran with this story without checking his facts. The last reporter that did that ended up embarrasing an international broadcasting company and losing his national nightly news broadcast.

LOL, this is truly ridiculous. I give up. You win. You're king of the world. Give Leo my best.

You're a journalist on cut-down day. You and/or one of your colleagues at the paper is told by someone INSIDE, who knows the deliberations going on with the team you cover that there is a "surprise cut." You ask how big a surprise is it and the source refuses to qualify it. (By the way, you do the responsible thing and report THIS in your blog, as well.)

If the source refuses to elaborate then you don't run with the story.

Rumors are swirling - and have been - about Randy Moss. The Harrison thing happened less than 24 hours ago. OTHER NFL GM's are calling YOU, wondering if it's Moss. You go forward with the speculation, STATING VERY CLEARLY that the source said it but you don't know what it's referring to. All you know is that the source has called it a "surprise cut." You make THAT clear, too.

Give me a friggin break. How the hell would you know if other GMs were calling Tomase? Hell, WHY would other GMs call Tomase. When it comes to the Boston beat (Projo / Metrowest/Herald/Globe) Tomase is the low man on the totem pole.

Tomase made everything clear as MUD.

What the HELL do you people want? What MORE could he do for you? Seriously, I think you're being outrageously, naively cynical. This shouldn't even be a conversation. He crossed every possible t and dotted every possible i. Add to that the fact that it's a freakin' BLOG and my eyes cannot roll enough at you people.

What you fail to realize is that he could have done his blog without the 2nd paragraph.

As for you rolling your eyes at people. Good for you. Would you like a medal or something? Your defense of Tomase borders on hero-worship. And its pretty surprising considering how bad Tomase was to start with and how he only improved himself a bit before falling back to his usual ways.

LOL, this is truly ridiculous. I give up. You win. You're king of the world. Give Leo my best.

Glad to know that you think its ridiculous to have INFORMED opinions. Glad to know that you think we should be led around like cattle being told that the sky is green and the grass is purple.

What you fail to realize is that he didn't need to mentioned the league source at all and his blog wouldn't have generated the anxiety it did.

You're a journalist on cut-down day. You and/or one of your colleagues at the paper is told by someone INSIDE, who knows the deliberations going on with the team you cover that there is a "surprise cut." You ask how big a surprise is it and the source refuses to qualify it. (By the way, you do the responsible thing and report THIS in your blog, as well.)

Rumors are swirling - and have been - about Randy Moss. The Harrison thing happened less than 24 hours ago. OTHER NFL GM's are calling YOU, wondering if it's Moss. You go forward with the speculation, STATING VERY CLEARLY that the source said it but you don't know what it's referring to. All you know is that the source has called it a "surprise cut." You make THAT clear, too.

What the HELL do you people want? What MORE could he do for you? Seriously, I think you're being outrageously, naively cynical. This shouldn't even be a conversation. He crossed every possible t and dotted every possible i. Add to that the fact that it's a freakin' BLOG and my eyes cannot roll enough at you people.

As I've said before, the guy is reactionary.

It's no different than all 500 of us scanning the intenet looking to be the first one's scoop and post who the Pat's cuts were going to be. It's part of human competitive nature.

Let's say that a good buddy of mine works in Foxboro and emailed me the list of cuts at 6:30PM. I post them on here, and they're all wrong. You guys would be pissed at me and at that point I would be persona non grata on here.

In Tomase's case though, it's imperitive that he be relatively consistant in the preciseness of what he reports. The ONLY asset any of these reporters have is credibilty.

In the last 2 weeks, his credibilty has suffered in a big way.

Did I miss all the talk about Moss maybe being cut earlier ? The first I heard of it was the PFT thing yesterday now all of a sudden I'm reading : "Rumors are swirling - and have been - about Randy Moss". I don't live anywhere near Boston but I pay fairly close attention and hadn't heard any of those rumors 24 hours ago.

Like others I think Tomase got caught up in reading PFT and went with it hoping that there was something - in fact I bet PFT was his source.

My problem (and believe me, it's not a major issue to me) with the whole MOSS story, starting right with the PFT story to Tomase's "surprise cut" entry, was the whole thing had this air of rumor-mongering and silly gossip, based on no tangible stuff.

With PFT, you can kinda expect that, since it was in the "rumor mill" section (it even says in the post itself, there was no credible evidence to it). When it comes to Tomase's entry though, it also had a real rumorish feel.

His source probably has the list and say's "gee, there a surprise name on there". He ran with it and referenced the PFT article directly (which was admittedly unsustantiated speculation". It Tomase was gossip columnist that would be fine. He's more of journalist/commintator so he should rise a little higher above the fray then that. Particularly if you wanna be taken seriously.

Again, thats just an opinion, but it's kinda what went through my mind as it happened and right after.

Give him props though, he had the cuts up 3 minutes before Reiss did.

Damn, it looks like Slagathor made essentually the same point I was trying to, just 2 minutes before me

Bastard :D :cool:

I agree with BF too, just above this post.

Last edited:
Did I miss all the talk about Moss maybe being cut earlier ? The first I heard of it was the PFT thing yesterday now all of a sudden I'm reading : "Rumors are swirling - and have been - about Randy Moss". I don't live anywhere near Boston but I pay fairly close attention and hadn't heard any of those rumors 24 hours ago.

Like others I think Tomase got caught up in reading PFT and went with it hoping that there was something - in fact I bet PFT was his source.

The rumors began when Moss was not seen or heard from for a couple of weeks after the hamstring injury.

Bb as usual was very non-commital with regards to his condition and gave the usual...."Randy's day to day right now".

All of the sudden, rumors of Moss dogging the injury came out.

Then just before cut down time, PFT came out with there story. The rumor exploded and guys like Tomase picked up that baton and posted the info on his blog.

The talk of him being cut really only took shape yesterday.

Damn, it looks like Slagathor made essentually the same point I was trying to, just 2 minutes before me

Bastard :D :cool:

I agree with BF too, just above this post.

I'm a real a-hole that way!

Oh my God, you guys, this is just absolutely bat-zhit insane, off-the-charts about Tomase. He did not "make it all up." Who the Hell ARE you people? Like, seriously, what WORLD do you live in? "A shot in the dark?" Are you kidding? I don't think it's pie-in-the-sky thinking to say that Tomase probably wasn't just randomly making crap up, just sort of...throwing it against a wall. This is not some Borges or Felger here, and there is NO EVIDENCE WHATSOEVER for the kind of B.S. charges you people are hurling here.

Amazing. People complaining about the basis for comments, who have no basis for THEIR OWN comments. Pathetic. TOTALLY. God.

I don't care what you say. He looks like an idiot because he suggested he had inside knowledge that a "suprise cut" would occur and then even went so far as to suggest Moss. Then he tries to save face by saying it was actually Vinny Intecpepteverde???? PUH-LEASE!

I agree with those that say he made a calculated gamble. BB wasn't saying crap and everyone around him was tight-lipped. The beat writers needed a story and Tomase decided to take a calculated risk that a someone would get cut that could be considered a "suprise cut".

I can see how he would think there would be at least one such cut given our roster. Unfortunately for him, BB didn't make any and now he looks like a total freaking idiot you made it all up.

Call me bat-zhit insane if you want... Tomase took a gamble and got burnt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft