PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tomase: Source claims Pats filmed Rams' Super Bowl walkthrough

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doesn't the NFL have one single pool reporter who is allowed to attend practices/walkthroughs prior to the Super Bowl? If that's the case, how is someone supposed to hide among the "media" attending the walkthrough? It's not like tons of people are allowed access to those practices, right?

My reaction? Some piece of trash is trying to cause noise just before the SB hoping it will effect NE's ability to win. Funny this "source" didn't come out during the season, or better yet during spygate.

Also, you can kick everyone out during walkthroughs, so if the rams were stupid enough to allow access they were asking for it. That's not suggesting NE actually filmed them, just that it's something easily prevented.

PS: Stuff like this is why I don't read Tomase's articles (unless their brought up on here).

i totally agree....thats allright though...the pats have been to hell, and they got one more stop before they come back

Interesting comment from the Fannation board re this story:

"I know people who worked for the Pats back when Walsh was employed. For all of you clinging to hope that this will bring down the Pats......I ask you for a little time until all of the facts come out. Then, please by all means, pass judgment at that time. You will see what a hoax this is!!

Matt Walsh had multiple issues as an employee of the Patriots. When he finally crossed the line, he was fired. The Patriots chose not to press legal charges at the time. I think they were overly generous, but I guess they wanted the kid to have a second chance. This guy was a real beauty....always looking for the spotlight. He used to brag that he was going to be "somebody famous" all of the time. I guess he finally figured out a way to get his 15 minutes.

Way to go...Matt....you got your 15 minutes,,,,now let see how good the media is at investigating your past. I sure hope for your sake, they don't investigate what happened at Springfield (or are you trying to forget about that).

Is that why you want ESPN to cover your legal damages?

Has that issue resurfaced or are you just getting lonely out on the island?

If you only knew what I know, you'd realize that this guy has "zeo" credibility!!"

Interesting comment from the Fannation board re this story:
Could you give us the link ? I'd like to read that thread or whatever it's from. Thanks.

I know this, but according to you it was a closed practice, which isn't the case if (as this report suggest) the media was allowed access.

Maybe you don't consider that a big difference (it's actually a huge difference), but I doubt you could take much away from a walkthrough the rams were allowing a bunch of media members access to. If they were protecting any substantial information that walkthrough would have been private.

Think about stuff before you type people...

That's always great advice, man. Great advice.

For some reason whenever I think of the Matt Walsh character, I am reminded of Private Scott Beauchamp, of New Republic fame. I just get the sense that while portions of his story might have a ring of truth, when the light of day gets shined on him, this whole thing (if not the hype around it) will unravel.

My reaction? Some piece of trash is trying to cause noise just before the SB hoping it will effect NE's ability to win. Funny this "source" didn't come out during the season, or better yet during spygate.

Also, you can kick everyone out during walkthroughs, so if the rams were stupid enough to allow access they were asking for it. That's not suggesting NE actually filmed them, just that it's something easily prevented.

PS: Stuff like this is why I don't read Tomase's articles (unless their brought up on here).
I do not liek tomase either...Tom-a...hole...I remember his questioning at the presser for BB during the week of spygate..He was like a 2 year old..asking dumb questions he KNEW were not going to get answered... he does have a few stories that are good...in between trying to be like Felger and Borges...TOTALLY agree...

I think this is again teh haters digging up as much information as possible to smear the Patriots...It's teh LAST chance they get before teh game..see ALL THIS for what it is..smears!! I agree where was this Walsh guy months ago???
maybe HE should be investigated?? If you think HE wants the spotlight...when vermin are put in it..they will run like crazy..AWAY from it...for there is always MORE to see...from HIS past.
Just like Sen Spector...th Sen from Comcast....maybe HIS integrity should be questioned...BRING IT ON haters...Patriots ARE waiting!!

The problem is that it's being reported without that context and knowledge of what's considered normal within the coaching fraternity and so it looks bad to outsiders.

This is EXACTLY correct, imho.

Look, before I say what I'm about to say, I want you guys to know that I'm not a hardcore Patriots fan. I consider myself an outsider (if anything, I'm a Nebraska fan, and in general more of a college football fan). I just like watching the team because of their on-field excellence, especially this year. I appreciate well-played football. A win tomorrow will be truly historic, and will prove to me in my opinion that they are the best team to ever take the football field anywhere.

I want to say that because feelthepain or whoever it was said that 90 percent of people outside New England don't like and don't trust the franchise (or whatever). I want you all to know that there are people out there who have little to do with the franchise - I've never attended a game, I've hardly been to New England in my life - who support you and your team with all of this.

As a former journalist, I'm a bit disgusted with the media's handling of the whole situation. Too often it seems their tone is accusatory without questions of real substance. As some of you may know, a few months ago, someone asked Sports Illustrated's Paul Zimmerman - supposedly one of the most respected sportswriters in the NFL - as to how using a video camera is different from using binoculars and pen and paper. Zimmerman answered by only saying that the two are different because using video equipment is illegal.

I found this answer completely unsatisfactory and unprofessional, and frankly I was appalled that someone of Zimmerman's reputation would dismiss a good question that raises a good point about the principle of the matter. Seriously, these people accuse the Patriots of dodging questions? How about members of the media doing their jobs and answering the public's questions? I've written lengthy letters to at least two nationally syndicated columnists with lots of questions about their stances on the matter ("Are the Patriots' past titles tainted? Is 2007 tainted?"), and have received absolutely no response. Must be busy trying to answer all the questions about this.

Frankly, I don't think the public is making as big of a deal out of all of this as some in the media seem to think it is. Sure, there are fans of other teams who are mad and jealous. But I want you guys to know, not everyone feels that way.

Personally, if the whole thing has to have a "gate" suffix, I don't understand why it's not called "videogate" rather than "spygate." As I understand the rules, you can use binoculars or even polaroid cameras to observe and watch signals. Besides, how do you "spy" - i.e., observe secretly - something that is in full public view? Have these people even been to football games? There are constantly signals going on all over the place that anyone can see. Recording them with video equipment is going to give one team an advantage down the road if they play again? Give me a f'n break. As I've told some columnists, part of the problem is, we live in an asterisk-happy age, thanks to the likes of Barry Bonds and McGwire, etc. A major breach of the rules occurs, so lets throw an asterisk at anyone who gets caught for a rules violation, no matter how major or minor.

And, yes, it's sad, but the better a team does on the field, the more people are going to try to take them down. Successful teams become a victim of their own success. As a Nebraska fan, I know, particularly after what our program did in the '90s. I'm not saying that situation was totally analogous to this one, but trust me, I do have some idea for what you guys are going through and you have my sympathy.

Personally, I hope the Pats win 56-0 and break the Super Bowl record for victory margin so they can claim that record, too.

End of rant.

Last edited:
Personally, if the whole thing has to have a "gate" suffix, I don't understand why it's not called "videogate" rather than "spygate." As I understand the rules, you can use binoculars or even polaroid cameras to observe and watch signals. Besides, how do you "spy" - i.e., observe secretly - something that is in full public view? Have these people even been to football games? There are constantly signals going on all over the place that anyone can see. Recording them with video equipment is going to give one team an advantage down the road if they play again? Give me a f'n break. As I've told some columnists, part of the problem is, we live in an asterisk-happy age, thanks to the likes of Barry Bonds and McGwire, etc. A major breach of the rules occurs, so lets throw an asterisk at anyone who gets caught for a rules violation, no matter how major or minor.

Great post! I think it's interesting how you point out the problems with the coined term the media assigned to this situation. "Spygate" itself puts a much more damaging spin than "videogate" and as you pointed out the signals are in full view (as well as the fact that stealing signs is part of the game--is that spying also?). Thanks so much for posting!

(as well as the fact that stealing signs is part of the game--is that spying also?).

Exactly. If anyone has been to a football or baseball game (or lots of sporting contests), they know that observing and trying to steal signals is very much the game within the game.

And I'm not condoning the usage of video equipment, as it is against NFL rules. I just think all the talk about sweeping investigations, congressional intervention, and tainted titles is absolutely absurd. And while I find it amazing that someone of Belichick's attention to detail would misinterpret a rule, I can see how it is possible and how someone of his competitive nature would try to do everything within the rules as technically written to get an edge. I personally think the way the rule as written is confusing.

As to the whole thing about videotaping the Rams' walkthrough, that's another matter - but I totally agree that it coming within 48 hours of the Super Bowl is more than just a little suspicious.

A lot of people seem to be blowing this one off, but I'm extremely concerned about it. Clearly Matt Walsh is the source and he's going to spill the beans at some point. I suspect it will happen once the NFL media descends on Hawaii (where Walsh lives) for the Pro Bowl. If it's just a he said/she said thing then nothing really changes. Walsh will be painted as a disgruntled employee with an ax to grind. However, if he produces a tape of the Rams walkthrough, fair or not, Super Bowl XXXVI will be forever tarnished. It sucks and I wish this weren't happening.

This has me worried.

Just what the heck has Tomase got stuck in his craw? It seems to me that he must have been in some terrible accident, and when the hospital ER folks gave him a transfusion, the only blood available was from Felger & Borges.

I propose that the fans on this website try and start a collection to buy our Albert Breer's contract and get him back somewhere as a Patriots beat reporter. Breer & Reiss & Price would beat the pants off of any other sports writers out there. :rocker:

I guess I am just tired of the cr@p we all have to put up with from the majority of sports writers in New England. I don't expect them to be homers, but I'd like them to at least be ON our side. :rolleyes:

Exactly. If anyone has been to a football or baseball game (or lots of sporting contests), they know that observing and trying to steal signals is very much the game within the game.

Thanks for posting! You've cheered me up a little bit.

Just what the heck has Tomase got stuck in his craw? It seems to me that he must have been in some terrible accident, and when the hospital ER folks gave him a transfusion, the only blood available was from Felger & Borges.

I propose that the fans on this website try and start a collection to buy our Albert Breer's contract and get him back somewhere as a Patriots beat reporter. Breer & Reiss & Price would beat the pants off of any other sports writers out there. :rocker:

I guess I am just tired of the cr@p we all have to put up with from the majority of sports writers in New England. I don't expect them to be homers, but I'd like them to at least be ON our side. :rolleyes:

Tomase has always been this way. Only a few confused souls bought his act. He was never a fan of the Pats, he was a red sox beat guy for the Eagle Tribune, and got a job with the herald and was stuck on the Patriots beat, and from the get-go felt he had been stuck with a 2nd class job. The Pats have made inroads displacing the sox as the elite team of the region and Sox reporters resent the incursion on their turf. There is an anti-Pats culture among them at Fenway, and Tomase was nursed as a reporter in that culture. They impress eachother by how cynical and nasty they can be reporting on the Pats (see Shaughnessy, Masaroti, Tomase). Tomase went on a Dallas Cowboys chat with Breer earlier in the year and wrote that he believed the Pats titles were tainted. Those statements were ignored by many fans of this board. Add to it the fact that the herald is a Murdoch rag allied with the NYPost, the most anti-Pats paper in the country. Every anti-BB story concocted by the Post immediately found its way inot the Herald. IMO there is a tie between the Jets and the NY Post. One of Tomase's mentors at the Herald is Felger, who is poison to the Pats and to Pats fans.

Even if Tomase corrects his story and puts it in the proper context, he already has done such damage to our team I never want to see him report on the Pats again. The herald would be wise to remove him from the Pats and put him on the Bruins Celts or Sox. I can;t take the look of his fat face staring out the newspaper at me again. Personally I won't click on a Tomase link again, unless it be the one that vindicates the Pats after extensive research, crowned by a mea culpa.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News