PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tomase provides his explanation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: *****Alert: The Tomase Explanation Is Now Up

I
OT....to any pharma people on this board....hows the pharma/biotech industry doing in Boston/Mass?? Wife and I are looking to move before the kids start coming

From what I've been reading, The Biotech part is BOOMING in Massachusetts. Not so sure about Pharma.

All very interesting and cool. And again, that proves, to me at least, that Tomasse is either a flat out liar or a blithering idiot.

So, Mr. Reiss, anything else to share? :D

Patriotic Ferver and Ungeheuer - kudos. Two of the best posts of the day.

The disconnect on the part of this reporter and his co-workers and his employer (and a couple of his toadies here) that continues even as we speak is the most incredible facet of this entire train wreck. It never ceases to amaze me how few people today truly grasp the concept of consequences, particularly where their own conduct (or that of their friends and family) is concerned. One of the things I continue to admire about this organization and it's HC is, they do. Those who question their integrity in fact have none, try as they may to manufacture/perpetuate the illusion they do.

Ever since Dan Rather went on TV with bogus documents, we've seen alleged journalists tossing critical thinking to the winds just because they hear unsubstantiated claims that match their 'world views'. The egregious NYT printed rumors without sources about McCain's (I'm not a fan) supposed affair is another example of a self-fulfilling print ***********. Believing something is so and then going to print as a reporter because you heard rumors or other unsubstantiated evidence from cohorts is NOT reporting.

I was right when I said in early threads that Tommy Boy simply printed the echo chamber of rumors floating around the NFL and media without any source. How his editors could have allowed that should be career limiting to all involved.

What I've seen with the Tomase/Herald fiasco appears unprecedented. It flies in the face of all logic and reason and totally lays bare how absolutely bereft the Herald is of journalistic integrity.

Ever since Dan Rather went on TV with bogus documents, we've seen alleged journalists tossing critical thinking to the winds just because they hear unsubstantiated claims that match their 'world views'.

That's why I have no problem with Tomase and the Herald taking the heat for this and hopefully for a long time. How else will they understand the consequences of their actions.

Last edited:

he can start his long road back no prob with me...

but hes gonna start it on the other side of the United States

What I don't understand, is do the Herald and Tomase really think New England is going to forgive them, or even if not forgive, to at least tolerate Tomase anymore?

Let's say no lawsuit or firings happen, and Tomase continues to cover the Pats and go to their press events. How long do you think Tomase would last doing that????

Last edited:

he can start his long road back no prob with me...

but hes gonna start it on the other side of the United States

idiarod.jpg

He can remake his image in Nome...

I'm a professional print journalist and I was shocked by Tomase's explanation. I'm even more shocked that his editors haven't fired him yet. Let me explain why:

(snip great bulleted points)

Just all around, this is the worst journalism you can imagine. The funny thing is that the Herald's news sections are always pretty decent when it comes to sourcing. It's so odd that this would take place in the sports section.
Something doesn't add up. You are absolutely right that this is some of the worst journalism and he should have been canned...

...but he hasn't.

Not to defend Tomase, but I don't think we're getting the whole story. Remember, he published this "apology" in the Herald, so of course it has to get approved by the editors...the same editors that approved his hit piece on 2/2. I still think his editors put the screws to him* to get this story out to scoop the NYT, but of course he can't say that in the Herald (aside from the fact it would come across as blameshifting as well as put the nail in the Herald's coffin if/when the Pats sue), so he writes this pathetic explanation to take the fall...and keep his job. This is the only way I can see a guy keeping his job after giving that explanation.

I wish he resigned and then told the whole story again without the Herald editors' filter elsewhere. I'd like to know what happened between he and the editors on the night of 2/1.

Regards,
Chris

* And just to be clear, as I've stated in previous posts I strongly believe Tomase messed up royally by caving to his editors if indeed they strongarmed him into standing behind his story that he perhaps didn't feel was ready to print at that time. I'm not absolving Tomase and shifting blame to the editors.

I still think his editors put the screws to him* to get this story out to scoop the NYT, but of course he can't say that in the Herald (aside from the fact it would come across as blameshifting as well as put the nail in the Herald's coffin if/when the Pats sue), so he writes this pathetic explanation to take the fall...and keep his job. This is the only way I can see a guy keeping his job after giving that explanation.

If that's true then Tomase is more pathetic if he's working for an editor and a newspaper that has no integrity. Any reporter with moral values would refuse to put their name to a story under that circumstance or would resign soon after.

Here's his ending quote;
"I take immense pride in what I do and the paper I work for. I truly believe it’s a privilege to serve as a link between the fans and their team."

Totally BS if he was forced to get his story out by his editor.

Last edited:

If that's true then Tomase is more pathetic if he's working for an editor and a newspaper that has no integrity. Any reporter with moral values would refuse to put their name to a story under that circumstance or would resign soon after.
Caving to editor pressure I can understand: Tomase is young and probably didn't fully understand how to properly weigh the consequences of losing your job vs. losing your integrity. I'm sure he knows now, as he alludes to in his explanation.

What I don't understand is why he has continued working for the Herald and especially why he would take a fall like he did in that explanation if the editors strongarmed him in the first place. I'll admit this is the biggest hole in my theory. This is why I really wish he would resign so he could tell the story no-holds-barred.

Regards,
Chris

After reading his explanation, I am not impressed because he didn't mention his source in this article. Tomase gambled because he thought Walsh had a tape but he didn't. He said

There has been a clamoring for me to identify the sources used in my story. This I cannot do. When a reporter promises anonymity, he can’t break that promise simply because he comes under fire. I gave my word, and the day I break that word is the day sources stop talking to me.

He was willing to BREAK journalism's CODE in no time but he doesn't want anybody to know who his BS source was.???

Does it really make any sense to protect your source who forces your newspaper to publish an SORRY article, damages your company reputation and nearly gets your arss FIRED, Tomase.?

Nothing really makes any sense to you , Tomase. The most scary thing here is HE STILL wants to COVER Pats again. Is this guy out of his mind or what.? He should be FIRED or TRANSFERED to a different apartment after he SCREWED UP big time.
Tomase is a freaking idiot.

Last edited:

Lets be fair here. Hold BB and Tomase to the same standard.

We owe no loyalty whatsoever to Tomase. Remember, on his first day of the job he wrote a hitpiece about BB not attending the offseason coaches meeting.

I really don't give two hoots what your impression is. BB promised before Chargers game at the end of the season he would explain what happened. So far he hasn't.

http://www.boston.com/sports/footba...7/belichick_breaks_silence_on_spygate/?page=1

After reading his explanation, I am not impressed because he didn't mention his source in this article. Tomase gambled because he thought Walsh had a tape but he didn't. He said

He was willing to BREAK journalism's CODE in no time but he doesn't want anybody to know who his BS source was.???

Does it really make any sense to protect your source who forces your newspaper to publish an SORRY article, damages your company reputation and nearly gets your arss FIRED, Tomase.?

Nothing really makes any sense to you , Tomase. The most scary thing here is HE STILL wants to COVER Pats again. Is this guy out of his mind or what.?
Tomase is a freaking idiot.

The "source" (actually a misuse of the word, because a source would have first person knowledge, and Tomase says these people had only "heard" the rumor) wasn't BS at all. Looks like they were very truthful to Tomase. They told him they heard the story but had never seen any tape. I can't see the reasoning of "outing" anyone who was on the level with him.

The problem is that these people were not "sources" in the true meaning of the word. They were "carriers".

What I don't understand is why he has continued working for the Herald and especially why he would take a fall like he did in that explanation if the editors strongarmed him in the first place. I'll admit this is the biggest hole in my theory.

If he got strongarmed into it he should have resigned. Previous to all this, Tomase was making the rounds thru the talking head shows. If he resigned, he would have that at least and credibility for his next gig.

Last edited:

Originally Posted by TheGodInAGreyHoodie
BB promised before Chargers game at the end of the season he would explain what happened. So far he hasn't.

You need to thank Goodell for keeping BB shut. Don't you think that it's weird when BB and his team are not saying anything except releasing press statements when Walsh and others are FREELY talking to medias about what happened.?

Everything we heard to this point is 1 sided. BB and Pats are being PICKED.

Last edited:

The "source" (actually a misuse of the word, because a source would have first person knowledge, and Tomase says these people had only "heard" the rumor) wasn't BS at all. Looks like they were very truthful to Tomase. They told him they heard the story but had never seen any tape. I can't see the reasoning of "outing" anyone who was on the level with him.

The problem is that these people were not "sources" in the true meaning of the word. They were "carriers".

If his sources or carriers or whatever told him that they 'heard' but didn't see any tape, why the hell did Tomase tell everybody that Walsh had a Ram walkthrough video as if it was a 'sure' thing.?

You are telling me that Tomase draw his own conclusion based on what he HEARD.? Tomase is a MORON. He intentionally misled the public by doing that so that his newspaper could get higher rating.

Yes, i still say that he BSs everybody until today and he is not a professional journist or whatever he wants to consider himself to be. He is an opportunist.

Last edited:

Seems evident they waited til now in the hope that they would get lucky with the Walsh meeting.

A forced apology never really does it for me.

He should reveal his source. His career is over. No one is talking to him moving forward either way.

There is no reason to care who his sources were. His sources only said that they heard the pats taped it. It doesn't matter how much he trusted the sources, they just told him about a rumour.

I agree. I see nothing here that excuses Tomase' screwup. I still hope he gets fired or at least gets demoted so that he will no longer have a chance to cover/vilify the Patriots. Let someone more deserving get that position, because I'm sure that Tomase' name is as good as MUD as far as the Pats are concerned. He wouldn't be getting the interviews anyways. The public apology from the Herald to the Pats was a good first step. Now I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop. There have got to be tangible consequences to Tomase for his irresponsible reporting.

Well, my suspicions all along have been confirmed. I never thought Walsh was the source of Tomase's article and that he just printed the rumor that most of the media has heard and attributed it to sources. He has basically said that since a trusted source relayed the rumor to him, he felt that rose to the level of credible evidence.

Based on his explaination, I am more disapointed and upset with him. To put out a story like this where he basically determined it true because Walsh was outed and Tomase knew he was probably at the walkthrough and it validated the rumor in his mind is inexcusable. To report a rumor as fact because you connect some dots, but have no confirmation is just as bad as what Borges and Barnacle got fired for.

With a story this huge, Tomase should have be far more sure of the facts than he was. I feel his explaination does himself more of a diservice than mend and bridges that he hopes to get with Patriots fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back