PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tomase provides his explanation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: *****Alert: The Tomase Explanation Is Now Up

I don't see how outing his sources would change anything. In the end, Tomase still wrote the article based on hearsay.

I don't see how outing his sources would change anything. In the end, Tomase still wrote the article based on hearsay.

Yup. Great point by Kraft:
Kraft also pointed out that the apology could have come sooner, if Matt Walsh wasn’t the source for the Herald story. “If Matt Walsh wasn’t the source,” Kraft said, “why did it take until the day after he spoke to get the apology?”

This quote just goes to show you that Tomase's truly had NO IDEA IF HIS STORY WAS TRUE. He was waiting around to see if Walsh could bail him out. He had no more idea than you or I or anybody else.

This quote just goes to show you that Tomase's truly had NO IDEA IF HIS STORY WAS TRUE. He was waiting around to see if Walsh could bail him out. He had no more idea than you or I or anybody else.

Exactly. Tomase deserves to be buried for this. I hope everyone emails the Herald and lets them know that Pats fans are not mollified by his explanation. The Pats beat should be handled by a reporter that can at least be respected for journalistic integrity. John Tomase no longer fits the description. And how useful will it be for the Herald to employ a sports reporter that gets stonewalled by the team he's trying to cover anyways?

There is no reason to care who his sources were. His sources only said that they heard the pats taped it. It doesn't matter how much he trusted the sources, they just told him about a rumour.

I can understand that he won't name the sources, but there is every reason to care who they were. It speaks to both Tomase's judgement and state of mind when deciding that these 'sources' were trustworthy even though they hadn't actually seen anything for themselves.

If these sources turn out to be people with an ax to grind with the Pats or BB then it proves even more that Tomase was convinced of this story because he wanted to be convinced.

Whoever they are, all that Tomase's 'apolgy' proved to me is that he is in way over his head and doesn't have the judgement to be a crossing-guard nevermind a journalist.

Exactly. Tomase deserves to be buried for this. I hope everyone emails the Herald and lets them know that Pats fans are not mollified by his explanation. The Pats beat should be handled by a reporter that can at least be respected for journalistic integrity. John Tomase no longer fits the description. And how useful will it be for the Herald to employ a sports reporter that gets stonewalled by the team he's trying to cover anyways?

Oh, don't worry. The Herald will realize this after next season when they have absolutely no access to the team itself and can't get one decent quote. If he's not fired before the season starts, he will be next offseason. Either that, or he'll be covering something else entirely.

I can understand that he won't name the sources, but there is every reason to care who they were. It speaks to both Tomase's judgement and state of mind when deciding that these 'sources' were trustworthy even though they hadn't actually seen anything for themselves.

If these sources turn out to be people with an ax to grind with the Pats or BB then it proves even more that Tomase was convinced of this story because he wanted to be convinced.

These don’t sound like sources. It sounds more like years ago someone said I heard about this. Sounded like this was almost casual conversation two years before he decided to write it 2 days before the SB.

Did anyone at the Herald or their friends or associates bet on the Giants?

I even registered just to let the Herald know how I feel about this topic.
Here's what I said:

Congratulations, you have managed to bring down the level of your newspaper, your profession, and your sports column with one sordid sensationalistic article. As long as John Tomase continues to cover the Patriots or any Boston sport for that example, I will choose to boycott reading the Herald. I have fully read his 'apology' article and it does not wash. He attempted to get his 15 minutes of fame without confirming the truth of his writings and the consequences have been devastating to the reputation of the New England Patriots franchise. The sports fans of Boston and the Patriots have a right to be outraged and distrustful of John Tomase from here on out. Mr. Tomase should pay for the consequences of his rash actions and be removed from his current post as sports reporter for the Herald. The Herald made an important first step by issuing a public apology to the Patriots and their fans. But so long as John Tomase remains in his current position, the apology rings empty and insincere. Let me add that I previously found the Boston Globe unreadable because of the vituperous and obvious anti-Patriots agenda of Ron Borges, a man who later and deservedly got removed for plagiarism. Now that Reiss is covering the Patriots, and doing an excellent job with his Reiss' Pieces blog, I think the choice is clear now. Good-bye Herald and hello Globe.

Alright Pats fans, let the Herald know that this guy needs to be canned pronto. If you've got a Herald subscription, cancel it and let them know the reason why. Personally I will never buy/read that rag again until they make some serious changes.

Last edited:

These don’t sound like sources. It sounds more like years ago someone said I heard about this. Sounded like this was almost casual conversation two years before he decided to write it 2 days before the SB.

Did anyone at the Herald or their friends or associates bet on the Giants?

I've thought all along that he HAD NO SOURCE/S. He was heard a few things, did the math, wrote the story hoping that he would be right if sh8 hit the fans. And he was wrong. He pretty much made it up in his head what the story was, he said so himself. I don't see how he not get fired, after saying he made the story up in his head, after hearing a few things.

He's sorry it wasn't true, he's not sorry that he printed.

He will die hated by all Patriots fans, and that will be his legacy. Hell, put it on his tombstone.

A man who couldn't stay in shape or write a proper story, that will be all he is remembered for. He has failed his family and himself.

Last edited:
Just noticed Tomase explanation article and the comments are offline.

Damn.... I was having fun reading those comments.

Just noticed Tomase explanation article and the comments are offline.

Damn.... I was having fun reading those comments.

Finally, they realized that his explanation article was bad and unacceptable.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back