PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tomase: Source claims Pats filmed Rams' Super Bowl walkthrough

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who cares? They're idiots anyway. Look at the dude who reported this story... How can anyone take a lardo like that seriously?

In this day and age, with the tabloid media, success brings this:

Biological_Microscope.jpg

I think "spygate" proved that none of that matters. I have no idea whether this is true or not or what the motivation is behind this coming out now. But if it is true, this is way worse than the spygate stuff, and we will never hear the end of it.

Even if it's not true, we'll probably never hear the end of it. It's such a weird feeling of enjoying the SB and the historic season mixed with all this negative crap.

You're right that nothing can come of this other than more criticism of the Patriots organization. We also have to remember that proof of all rumors is required for anything to be conclusive.

Just the fact that someone makes something up and a writer publishes it doesn't make it true. The American public is not going to just jump on any & every rumor that comes out. That would be ridiculous.

I know this, but according to you it was a closed practice, which isn't the case if (as this report suggest) the media was allowed access.

Maybe you don't consider that a big difference, but I doubt you could take much away from a walkthrough the rams were allowing a bunch of media members access to. If they were protecting any substantial information that walkthrough would have been private.

Think about stuff before you type people...

You're right, there's a huge difference between doing something that is against "unwritten" NFL rules or is considered unethical and actually violating a written rule. I could care less if the Pats did something that was unethical or violated some honor system among NFL teams.

Last edited:
I know this, but according to you it was a closed practice, which isn't the case if (as this report suggest) the media was allowed access.

Maybe you don't consider that a big difference, but I doubt you could take much away from a walkthrough the rams were allowing a bunch of media members access to. If they were protecting any substantial information that walkthrough would have been private.

Think about stuff before you type people...

Well, I've actually never heard of a walkthrough that was "open to the media." They may let a Reiss or someone they trust in, but it's not as if they would just let hoards of media into their final walkthrough so that everyone can see what they'll be running.

I'm 99% confident that taping another teams walkthrough would be illegal whether the practice is "closed" or not.

The best analogy I can come up with for this is to compare it to Nov. 2004 when the Bin Laden tape came out 3 days before the election.

That was bad news for Kerry and this will be bad news for the Giants. If I'm Coughlin I would just assume this came out Monday, not 2 days before the game.

Last edited:
You're right that nothing can come of this other than more criticism of the Patriots organization. We also have to remember that proof of all rumors is required for anything to be conclusive.

Just the fact that someone makes something up and a writer publishes it doesn't make it true. The American public is not going to just jump on any & every rumor that comes out. That would be ridiculous.

This may be the part we disagree on, unfortunately.

who knows? how would anyone from the pats even be able to tape a closed practice without permission and not be noticed and thrown out? would that not have been a sotry 6 years ago and not just now?

You're right, there's a huge difference between doing something that is against "unwritten" NFL rules or is considered unethical and actually violating a written rule. I could care less if the Pats did something that was unethical or violated some honor system among NFL teams.

I'd be very surprised if this wasn't against a written rule.

This may be the part we disagree on, unfortunately.

Initially, they may react to it, but at some point there MUST be evidence. Most have even calmed down on the spygate issue. I guarantee you the public isn't stupid. Reactionary? Yes. But in time we always demand proof of the truth.

BUT... if the Patriots continue to dominate & win, then the hater will believe what they want to believe.

Are we more in line now Wildo?

Last edited:
Well, I've actually never heard of a walkthrough that was "open to the media." They may let a Reiss or someone they trust in, but it's not as if they would just let hoards of media into their final walkthrough so that everyone can see what they'll be running.

I'm 99% confident that taping another teams walkthrough would be illegal whether the practice is "closed" or not.

That report made it seem like there was multiple media members present. if the story was true it wouldn't make sense other wise. I mean, if you've got a short list of media members allowed access than you're surely going to know the Patriots cameraman isn't among them, right? We're also talking about the SB here, and teams know the media wants extra access for the big game. If you ask me a walkthrough in that circumstance (a bunch of media present) is more for casual practice than anything.

Again, if the Rams had anything of importance included in that walkthrough they would have made it private, and NE's cameraman wouldn't have been allowed access, even without a camera in his hands.

PS: let's remember there hasn't been a shread of evidence backing this story, yet.

Last edited:
Is spying on a team's practice through a telescope from across the street considered as bad as filming a walkthrough?

That report made it seem like there was multiple media members present. if the story was true it wouldn't make sense other wise. I mean, if you've got a short list of media members allowed access than you're surely going to know the Patriots cameraman isn't among them, right? We're also talking about the SB here, and teams know the media wants extra access for the big game. If you ask me a walkthrough in that circumstance (a bunch of media present) is more for casual practice than anything.

Again, if the Rams had anything of importance included in that walkthrough they would have made it private, and NE's cameraman wouldn't have been allowed access, even without a camera in his hands.

PS: let's remember there hasn't been a shread of evidence backing this story, yet.

Seriously, it's really a joke at this point point. SIX years later, an UN-NAMED source said that....blah, blah, blah. It's not even journalism it's just rumor...pure & absolute rumor.

Once again, something is missing to make this a story. What is it?

PROOF...PROOF...PROOF...PROOF...PROOF...PROOF...PROOF...

Right, I agree that's what doesn't make sense to me. Unfortunately I don't think that these are the mental exercises people will go through to understand what really happened. But unfortunately, even in the best case scenario, this story is just another suspicious unfounded allegation that piles up in the public's psyche when they think of the Pats. Spygate, the ridiculous radio communication accusations and now this.

I just hate that the way people feel spygate was "swept under the rug" means most people think there's this deep-rooted conspiracy with the NFL and the Pats who have secretly cheated all along. I guess the most depressing part of all this for me is that it may not matter whether it's true or not. Maybe that's going to be a reality that Pats fans have to face going forward. I guess that's something we can deal with though considering the tremendous upside of the Pats.

Is spying on a team's practice through a telescope from across the street considered as bad as filming a walkthrough?
By the way, this is an actual question. I'm a little confused as to how much worse taping a walkthrough vs spying on a practice would be.

If the Walkthrough is private than I would consider the two offenses about equal. In this supposed instance the Walkthrough wasn't private, and someone spying on a practice (in the manner you suggest) would be spying on private team prep.

for a good laugh at this late hour, read the comments section for the tomase article

If the Walkthrough is private than I would consider the two offenses about equal. In this supposed instance the Walkthrough wasn't private, and someone spying on a practice (in the manner you suggest) would be spying on private team prep.
Thanks for the response. :)

I was wondering because of this (article from Feb. 2, 2002):

Halfway through practice, Patriots' linebackers coach Pepper Johnson noticed something in a third-floor window of a house next to the field.

Club and league officials said a telescope was clearly visible in the window, according to a pool report, and that 15 minutes later, a person appeared at the window, and then vanished.

Officials scanned the window with binoculars, but the person never returned.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=940DE4DB153DF931A35751C0A9649C8B63

I don't know how big of a deal it is or was, or if it was even a Rams employee, but I believe the practice being discussed was held on the Friday (Feb. 1), which would be the Patriots' last before Super Bowl XXXVI.

Last edited:
Right, I agree that's what doesn't make sense to me. Unfortunately I don't think that these are the mental exercises people will go through to understand what really happened. But unfortunately, even in the best case scenario, this story is just another suspicious unfounded allegation that piles up in the public's psyche when they think of the Pats. Spygate, the ridiculous radio communication accusations and now this.

I just hate that the way people feel spygate was "swept under the rug" means most people think there's this deep-rooted conspiracy with the NFL and the Pats who have secretly cheated all along. I guess the most depressing part of all this for me is that it may not matter whether it's true or not. Maybe that's going to be a reality that Pats fans have to face going forward. I guess that's something we can deal with though considering the tremendous upside of the Pats.

I don't really care what other people think of the Patriots. Those who'll bring it up the most were haters to begin with, and will only use it as an excuse to continue their BS.

So I read the article and focused on the key paragraphs:

After completing the walkthrough, they had their team picture taken and the Rams then took the field. According to the source, a member of the team’s video staff stayed behind after attending the team’s walkthrough and filmed St. Louis’ walkthrough.

At no point was he asked to identify himself or produce a press pass, the source said. The cameraman rode the media shuttle back to the hotel with news photographers when the Rams walkthrough was completed, the source said.

Now, assuming this is 100% accurate, the Patriots video dude hung around on the field. This means that he was there when the Rams got to the field. He was never asked to identify himself while he was there, and he filmed the walkthrough.

Well, where the hell is the "and this is a problem because......" to the story?

Last edited:
Thanks for the response. :)

I was wondering because of this (article from Feb. 2, 2002):

Halfway through practice, Patriots' linebackers coach Pepper Johnson noticed something in a third-floor window of a house next to the field.

Club and league officials said a telescope was clearly visible in the window, according to a pool report, and that 15 minutes later, a person appeared at the window, and then vanished.

Officials scanned the window with binoculars, but the person never returned.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=940DE4DB153DF931A35751C0A9649C8B63

I don't know how big of a deal it is or was, or if it was even a Rams employee, but I believe the practice being discussed was held on the Friday (Feb. 1), which would be the Patriots' last before Super Bowl XXXVI.

this will never appear on espn.:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft