PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tom Brady Versus Peyton Manning ~ The Final Chapter??

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Tom Brady Versus Peyton Manning ~ What's Your Take?

• Peyton Manning ~ What if Manning had had Coach Belichick's equal for 15 Years???

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Peyton Manning, but they're both Elite ~ Brady's 1st 3 Rings were won by great Defenses!!

• Equals ~ Manning has the Statistics and Brady has the Rings!!

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Off The Grid

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
Philosophically, I've long since forgone the necessity for choosing one guy over another.

I have, for instance, little desire to resolve for myself which of the Dynasties that've flourished over the Years stands above the others: I am content to put the Bears of the 40's, the Browns of the 50's, the Packers of the 60's, the Steelers of the 70's, the Miners of the 80's, the CowBoys of the 90's, and of course our Patriots of Current Day in the same elite Tier...though the Patriots make it increasingly difficult to do so!! :D

As such, I feel no imperative to choose between Brady and Manning. I would be quite content to describe them as sharing space on the same elite level...except that I simply don't believe this to be the case.

Most of us are not mathematically inclined, yet recognize the value of mathematics ~ stats ~ in supporting Arguments. I myself am intensely mathematically inclined, yet conversely am far less inclined to argue with statistics in FootBall matters. I do not believe that Brady's 4 Super Bowls versus Manning's 0 ~ I consider his 2006 "Championship" utterly forfeit due to FaceGuardingGate ~ settle the matter any more decisively than Manning's gaudy TouchDown and Yardage stats: Nobody's putting Terry Bradshaw out there.

I don't believe that there is a statistic or a Formula or indeed any combination of tangible things that you can point to about which you can say that it proves beyond a reasonable doubt that one or the other is better.

And I'm perfectly fine with that.

And yet, I believe that one is decisively better than the other.

I cannot point to one incident to support my Belief.

I can only say this: When The Chips Are Down ~ when The Only Games That Really Matter are being played ~ there is absolutely no question who I want steering my Ship: Tom Brady.

And it's not even close.

As a Transcendentalist, I am forever examining and challenging my own Motivations and Thought Processes, and have done so extensively on this matter, all the way back to 2001, back before the Debate had its Beginning. I have of course asked myself if I was merely being an Homer to prefer Brady.

I am eminently fallible, but I don't believe that that is the case.

My application of the Electronic Term "Processing Speed" to FootBall not only dates back to the Brady versus Manning Debate: It was produced by the Brady versus Manning Debate.

A Player's Processing Speed ~ his ability to effectively Rapidly Read & React in a Tactical Environment ~ can of course only be inferred by watching him In Battle. It simply cannot be measured.

That of course makes it difficult both to assess and to employ as an Argument.

But it is, I believe, precisely what separates Brady from Manning.

Indeed, I believe it puts Brady far above Manning.

And I believe that is always has.

It was 2004 when the application of the term ~ Processing Speed ~ broke upon me in an Epiphany, and all I had seen suddenly clicked into place and made sense. 2004, we all recall, was in many ways the height of intensity of this Debate ~ Brady winning his 3rd Championship while Manning broke Marino's Record.

The big Argument against Brady, of course, was that he was but a Game Manager!!
jester.gif

Manning was of course put forth by his BallWashing Legions as a SuperStar held back by mediocre Defenses, while Brady was a mere Game Manager who road the back of great Defenses to Championships. :rolleyes:

Indeed, there were and perhaps remain many fair-minded Patriot Fans who consider that to be the case.

But Manning has benefited with several Top 10 Defenses over the last Decade
:

Indianapolis Colts Team Encyclopedia | Pro-Football-Reference.com

Denver Broncos Team Encyclopedia | Pro-Football-Reference.com

More to the point, though, though it's admittedly, once again, not something you can quantify:

When Manning's out there, I feel that he's a dangerous Foe, yes...But I don't now, nor have I ever, and this is going all the way back to 2004, to 2003, and indeed to 2001 when we first humilated'm, sensed that Confidence, that sense of Invincibility that I have always sensed in Tom Brady.

I don't believe that that's Wishful Thinking on my part.

It's in the Body Language.

Manning is a phenomenal QuarterBack...But I've always felt ~ always sensed ~ that he's just a little bit nervous, out there: That he's always only one unexpected defensive wrinkle away from Panic.

Brady?

I never get that sense.

That guy's Body Language always gives me the Idea that there isn't any Scenario that he isn't ready for.

That guy always give me the sense that he knows what's about to happen before it happens.

That's not the case, of course: FootBall is a Chess Match and there are literally dozens of Moves possible on any given Snap: One rarely actually knows what the other Team is going to do.

But there isn't a QuarterBack in the Game better prepared for anything than Tom Brady.

Nor, I believe, having watched him and others In Battle for 15 magnificent Years, is there a QuarterBack who reads and reacts to the Tactical LandScape more rapidly and effectively...or with such deadly Precision.

And when you watch him...you know that he knows that.

Manning?

Not so much

There is a reason why Manning has failed so many Times over the Years once the Live Bullets started flying after New Years Day when The Only Games That Really Matter are played. Yes.

Processing Speed.

Put Manning in a Class Room in front of a ChalkBoard with Brady, and they are competitive: Manning is a Student of the Game who prepares as well as anyone...except perhaps Brady.

But send'm into Battle in January when Defensive Coordinators empty their Bags of Tricks, forcing Manning to Improvise, Adapt, and Overcome ~ to Rapidly Read and React in a Tactical Environment??

He's simply not in Brady's League.

Although I agree that processing speed, preparation and toughness separate Brady from Manning, I think that there are several other key factors.

Brady is constantly developing and tweaking his game. His work moving in the pocket last season, and the ability to throw accurately on the run and without stepping into it this season, have elevated his game and eliminated his greatest weakness. I don't know of any athlete in any sport that has worked so hard developing and tweaking their game to the degree or for as long as Brady has.

More than just preparation, Brady pays attention to the "little things" far more than Manning. Putting the ball in the precise spot to preserve his receiver and give them the optimum chance for YAC is a perfect example of this. Not only does he find and control an insane amount of details, he remembers them and can access them quickly in game speed situations. In other words, Brady knows more about his opponent's tendencies, team mate's strengths/weaknesses and more about what he's trying to do to a defense more than any other player in history. He is intent personified.

Few that achieve the level of success and fame that Brady has can minimize their ego the way Brady does. Brady's willingness to accept fault and blame builds a trust and respect with tough, hard hard working receivers few QBs ever reach. Sure, there's been a few QB/receiver combos that could improvise on the fly with a look, but Brady has reached that plateau with many. Brown, Branch, Moss, Welker, Gronk and Dola, is a helluva list, but far from complete. Such mastery of ego has instilled an unparalleled adaptability that makes him a good match for any NFL system, but a PERFECT match for BB's system.

Sure, Brady's not the biggest, fastest or QB with the strongest arm, but his unique blend of intensity, intelligence, work ethic, mental toughness, attention to detail and humility create a synergy that makes him the Greatest of All Time. It is precisely these reasons that he will continue to do so for another 5 years plus. It has been nothing short of a privilege to have witnessed such greatness on the team that I love.

Last edited:
PS
It's good to see that you got your premature poll creation problem under control.

Manning is a great QB but a few things have always separated Brady from him. You listed 2.

#1 Processing speed.
#2 Mental strength.
#3 Pocket Presence & Footwork
#4 The Zone

You hit on #1 so well. No point going over it again. Let me hit a bit more on the others.

Mental strength - Adding on to what you already said I only have one more thing to add. One of the main differences between Manning and Brady is Brady believes 100% in himself and wants the ball with everything on the line. Manning does not. He will hand off in critical situations cause the match up says to. That has held him back. Brady would throw every down just about if he had his way. Manning wants to throw in favorable situations and pick and choose. It is not selfishness as much as Brady believes he will do it and Manning does not. That hesitation and fear to force your way through has separated them.

Pocket Presence & Footwork - Manning moves well in the pocket. He understands how to do it but he is no natural. Brady is a natural. He like everyone on occasion will get happy feet or misread the pressure around him. However he is the best all time at the combination of seeing the pocket collapse with his peripheral vision (maybe even hearing it too) and moving accordingly smoothly and to the correct location to optimize his throwing ability (AKA "feeling" pressure). I don't like that term when talking about it in depth. There is no 6th sense or anything. It is the ability to absorb information out of the corner of your eye while looking down field and also keeping disciplined with your movement while you change spots correctly. Brady is the best at this and it partially ties into processing speed as well

The Zone - Something no one talks about and perhaps the most dangerous thing about Brady. Any athlete can get into the zone. Brady though gets into it insanely often and quickly even for top athletes. This is partly why those slot passes for first downs are so important to Brady. He gets 1 and then get that 3rd down conversion to Edelman/Welker/whoever and suddenly he starts to hit 6 7 8 9 10 in a row. I would wager If there was a stat for streaks of 10 completed passes in a row Brady would lead it. He did it last game. He hits Edelman for that 3rd down on that first series and then was locked in. He had a few hiccups then in the 2nd half later got 2 or 3 in a row and suddenly he has 10 completed passes in a row. We saw it in the end against Seattle in SB49 too. In the 4th he hit that 3rd down and 15? (i forget) pass to Edelman and then missed only 1 pass or something the next 13 or so. When Brady gets in the zone he is virtually unstoppable. It is akin to Jordan in the NBA except maybe more scary.

Last edited:
I think what I hate about Manning the most isn't anything HE's done. I hate the fact that these mediots are STILL equating Manning with Brady, when the fact is they aren't even in the same conversation. I don't understand how they continually ignore their respective playoff records.

The playoffs are where legends are made. This isn't some meaningless game vs Jacksonville. This is when you go against the iron. This is when the consequences of a loss is your season ends. This is the time that stress the mental toughness over EVERYONE on the team, both players and staff.

THIS is when Brady has shined and Manning has wilted. Under the brightest lights Manning has gone one and done NINE times. ( And there but for a 4th quarter fumble, it would have been 1o) Eight times those teams were favored to win. That is a HORRIBLE result. Brady's record is now 11-2. As a whole, with one of the best teams in the league, playing in a dome, usually with the home field advantage, Manning doesn't even have a .500 career record in the playoffs. That blows my mind.

When he plays teams that are just as good as his own, he can't even win half the playoff games he's been in, and that's AFTER yesterday's win,. Compare that to Brady who has the best winning percentage in the playoff history (10+ starts). only twice in 13 tries has Brady not had at least one playoff win.

You want to compare Brady to Montana, I'll listen. Hell, I'll even give you SOME credence if you want to compare Brady to Flacco, or Eli of the four leaf clover. But can't we STOP the lunacy of comparing Brady to Peyton, because that is like comparing the career record of the Yankees vs the Red Sox (and while I love my Red Sox, the numbers don't lie....)

I'd like to add something: TEN AFC Championship Games!

PS
It's good to see that you got your premature poll creation problem under control.

Yeah, thanks, Pal: I've been doing my special exercises. ;)

What is amazing is that Brady has actually improved at his poise in recent years: for a while after his injury he was seeing ghosts quite a bit, for a few years. This year and last year, this ducking in the pocket against nonexistent ghosts has almost disappeared, and he is using his feet much more. It's actually amazing to see a major improvement in someone as old as him in the game, especially someone who has nothing left to prove.

He did revert back to it a little in one game this year, I think it was the second Jets game, but he pretty much had no offensive line in that game.

I think I like Manning more than the average person on this board: he has had some amazing wins, and a couple of crazy fourth-quarter comebacks against the Patriots. His ability to read the defense and call audibles is excellent. The main problem is with what you pointed out: poise in big situations. When he is relaxed in the regular season, I'm not sure who was better at their peak. But in the big moments, when everything is riding on it, I'd rather have Brady than Manning. For instance, when we are down by two touchdowns in the fourth quarter against the Seahawks in the Superbowl.

Last edited:
I think Manning comes back next year even if it's not with the Broncos. Padding those volume stats is too important.

I've never felt any need to compare them ... both great HOF players.

I get this terrible feeling that Peyton is going to try and play again next year and at this point it will just be really sad even if his wife gets another hgh shipment

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST