Welcome to PatsFans.com

Tom Brady is worth an extra 3 wins a season

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by convertedpatsfan, Sep 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. convertedpatsfan

convertedpatsfan PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +126 / 1 / -0

#12 Jersey

The Myth of Joe Flacco

Interesting article from Bill Barnwell. He looks at the average win percentage based on what a team's defense allows, and compares it to how many games they actually won with each QB.

The point is that Flacco and Sanchez get credit for winning a lot of games early in their careers, but when compared with this metric, it has more to do with their defenses not allowing a lot of points. By comparison, Tom Brady and Peyton Manning won more games than expected based on their defenses, an average of 3 wins extra per season.
  2. thenepatsrule

thenepatsrule Rookie

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

This is what i have been saying for 2 years now.........Flacco is not elite...if he was on the current colts team he would be the waterboy
  3. randomk1

randomk1 Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

He may not be elite but he looked eli-ish marching down on this D in the final minutes. Now i concede that that is not very hard to do but a certain QB has built a legacy out of it so nobody really gives a **** and that is not what people remember at the end of the day

And Brady had plenty of help.
  4. thenepatsrule

thenepatsrule Rookie

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Marching down the field? Do you remember the penalty on 3rd and long at the end of the 4th Q which was a complete BS call by the refs.......if they had called it correctly it would have been 4th and 14 Baltimore and we would have won the game........
  5. Avenger

Avenger Rookie

Ratings:
    +77 / 4 / -1

#11 Jersey

I'd like to see the Eli Manning number
  6. andrewgarrr

andrewgarrr Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I don't think Flacco is in the same class as Eli, much less Brady. Flacco was gifted with penalties on ALL of Baltimore's scoring drives last week.
  7. ausbacker

ausbacker Brady > Manning. PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +327 / 5 / -2

#51 Jersey

Color me pink for not being surprised. The eye test confirms most of the assertions the piece makes.
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2012
  8. PATSYLICIOUS

PATSYLICIOUS Rookie

Ratings:
    +66 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Flacco and Eli aren't in Brady's league period.

I know that all QB's get their share of breaks, but in Brady's SB's I've never seen him throw many, if not any balls that should have been fatal INT's as Eli did in SB42 and last year's NFCC (at least 2 passes floated up into double coverage and somehow one 9er DB would bat the ball away from the other who clearly would have picked it off). Eli's a great QB probably just outside the elite list and has made his share of clutch plays, but I'd say he's considerably more lucky than most QB's who have won multiple rings.

Flacco's just not even in the conversation as far as I'm concerned. Put together a season near as good as Brady's top 3 or win a ring first.
  9. ausbacker

ausbacker Brady > Manning. PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +327 / 5 / -2

#51 Jersey

I see your point PATSY but I think it's unfair not to put Elite on the elite precipice. If he's not considered elite, he's most definitely knocking on the door.
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2012
  10. PATSYLICIOUS

PATSYLICIOUS Rookie

Ratings:
    +66 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Yeah I have him right outside the elite tier (Brady, Rodgers, Brees) with Rapistberger
  11. Sciz

Sciz PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +231 / 1 / -0

Only three?
  12. NYCPatsFan

NYCPatsFan Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

No Jersey Selected

Agree about Flacco but disagree about Eli. Talk what you want about 'should have' 'could have' etc - and I too dismissed Eli as a good but extremely lucky qb in the first SB - but these 'lucky breaks' have happened in too many games for it to be considered as luck anymore.

It is downright amazing to see him taking so many hits and yet even when going down, managing to throw at some receiver to keep the drive alive.

Even in the TB game two weeks back, many here refused to give credit to him because he threw three INT in the first half. But, two of those INTs were not his fault and even ignoring that unlucky throws ;), Eli overcame his poor performance and once again proved clutch in the second half pulling off a W by making such some improbable throws that I would have dismissed as lucky hadn't I not been watching him do similar things so many times now.

IMO, Eli is an elite QB and very much deserves to be in the company of TB, Brees and Peyton.
  13. Armchair Quarterback

Armchair Quarterback Rookie

Ratings:
    +108 / 4 / -2

#37 Jersey

Every QB is elite and they're all the best. Flacco, Eli, Kolb, Cassell, Mallett, Fitzgerald, Weeden- all elite. Every pass completed means another notch in the elite level status. Elite, Elite, Elite.
  14. Joker

Joker PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,049 / 15 / -16

Weeden should be on the bench watching...his progression reading last night was painful to watch...I can only imagine how a Browns fan feels about it...I mean maybe I'm off here but I think Colt McCoy throws that hail mary in bounds at the end of the game....stuff like that shows the Weeden has terrible game presence.
  15. Fball

Fball Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The hail mary was the worst pass he threw all game - he overthrew it because of the pressure & contact.

Otherwise, he looked pretty amazing for a rookie. 2 long TD passes were basically dropped by his receivers, and he led the Browns on a drive from their own 10 to the Ravens 20 with just over a minute to go, against a top defense.

I think Browns fans would be kind of happy about that.
  16. Joker

Joker PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,049 / 15 / -16

The worst pass he threw last night was the 63 yard interception return for a TD by Corey Williams. You must have been in the fridge grabbing brews or outside doing a bowl. He threw for NO TD's. He's got skills. He still should be sitting and learning. The throws dropped by that stone hands, #15, were great passes right on the money, but as far as awareness, progression reading and other requisites to start in the NFL at QB are concerned, I would say the Browns have a better chance THIS year with a veteran...they have NO chance with this kid. Remember, the Ravens were playing on 3 1/2 days rest...and they looked it at the end of both halves.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.