PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Today celebrating 10th anniversary of BB's 1st draft including a guy named Tom Brady

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATRIOTSFANINPA

Pro Bowl Player
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
10 Years ago today, Belichick started his first influence on his new team the Patriots with the draft that was to eventually become the biggest thing in Boston since the Celtics glory days of the 80s...and it all started on April 15th,2000

While the draft was far from steller,with only 3 picks that lasted, notably 2 that were here for awhile in J.R. Redmond and Patrick Pass,there seemed to be a pick later on the second day in the 6th round at pick #199 that added a guy named Tom Brady a virtually unknown,unproven player from Michigan to the roster to make this one of his best drafts ever,a pick that some questioned why we passed on Tim Rattay who seemed to be a better prospect at that time.

Its been a long 10 years and a lot of pleasure to enjoy the past decade, so a happy anniversary to a head coach and his draft that resulted in a player that would make a difference in 3 Super Bowl titles.

Nowadays we hope for a great draft to ensure the future of this team is to be as successful as the last 10 years.... it would be nice 10 years later to find that Tom Brady type player in it again as in deja vu a decade later....wouldn't that be great?

Last edited:
Re: Today celebrating 10th anniversary of BB's 1st draft including a guy named Tom Br

thank the late **** Rebhein for this pick....

Re: Today celebrating 10th anniversary of BB's 1st draft including a guy named Tom Br

Obviously we were fools to pass on Giovanni Carmazzi..!! :D

Obviously we were fools to pass on Giovanni Carmazzi..!! :D

I think Giovanni is now a waiter at some Olive Garden....sounds like a waiter's name in an Italian restaurant

I remember the 2000 draft vividly. It was the first one I remember watching. Even then, I remember the Raiders reaching for a kicker in the first round. I was like "WTF?" 10 years later, crazy Al is still as unpredictable as ever.

You mean I forgot to celebrate the tenth anniversary of the Pats drafting Adrian Klemm yesterday?!? Of all the holidays to forget.

I remember the 2000 draft vividly. It was the first one I remember watching. Even then, I remember the Raiders reaching for a kicker in the first round. I was like "WTF?" 10 years later, crazy Al is still as unpredictable as ever.
Did anybody give the Raiders a hard time for picking a kicker in the 1st round? I can't remember but I do remember the Raiders being arrogant in saying they didn't have many needs so they chose a kicker. I'm surprised the Raiders fans didn't riot for that pick.

I remember when the Pats drafted Brady and thinking "yep, he'll get cut".

Last edited:

You mean I forgot to celebrate the tenth anniversary of the Pats drafting Adrian Klemm yesterday?!? Of all the holidays to forget.

Klemm was forgettable but at least he was not a first rounder...#46 in the second round I believe.....The Jets got our #1 for the Belichick deal

Klemm was forgettable but at least he was not a first rounder...#46 in the second round I believe.....The Jets got our #1 for the Belichick deal

He was still the first pick of the Belichick era. So eventhough it was a joke, he was a significant pick in that respect. Since the Pats didn't have a first round pick bust, gotta go for the second round pick bust joke.

it would be nice 10 years later to find that Tom Brady type player in it again as in deja vu a decade later....wouldn't that be great?

There will never be another Tom Brady. :D

Wait! That's right. The Jets fans are still pissed because they were smart enough to sign the greatest coach ever. They just weren't smart enough to keep him for more than 1 day. At least the decade ended, Jets fans. But the legacy of that blunder will live on forever.

Wait! That's right. The Jets fans are still pissed because they were smart enough to sign the greatest coach ever. They just weren't smart enough to keep him for more than 1 day. At least the decade ended, Jets fans. But the legacy of that blunder will live on forever.

I think the Jets used the NE pick from the Belichick deal to do a combo deal with Washington and SF to draft Shaun Ellis...while Ellis is decent,he was no Brady in that draft

Did anybody give the Raiders a hard time for picking a kicker in the 1st round? I can't remember but I do remember the Raiders being arrogant in saying they didn't have many needs so they chose a kicker. I'm surprised the Raiders fans didn't riot for that pick.

I remember when the Pats drafted Brady and thinking "yep, he'll get cut".

They were ridiculed by probably half the mediots, but many were giving props to Al for having the b@lls to think outside the box in taking this 230 pound beast of a kicker who was going to routinely hit from 70 and revolutionize the game. lol.

I think the Jets used the NE pick from the Belichick deal to do a combo deal with Washington and SF to draft Shaun Ellis...while Ellis is decent,he was no Brady in that draft
True, the Jets used that pick to trade up in order to draft Shaun Ellis. A little more history of what happened can be found in this article:

How Exactly Will History Judge Parcells? (Pt 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST