PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

To open the game: receive the kickoff, or defer?

Don’t think anyone has. I don’t see why it wouldn’t be it’s like any other kickoff.
Well it would catch the other team by surprise. I have a vague memory of a team starting the second half with an on side kick because they were behind by a lot.......it didnt work

Take the ball first and ATTACK!!!

george-s-patton-quote-nobody-ever-defended-anything.jpg
Hey Patton, tell that to the Spartans!!!

gerard butler battle GIF

has anyone ever tried it, and is it even legal
why wouldn't it be? clots used to do it a few years back and were very successful using that tactic... that was pre-2018 though, when the rule changes kicked in...

since then, on-side kick conversion success has been miserable, with the conversion rate dropping dramatically... a surprise onside kick was successful about 60%, an expected onsides kick 20% of the time iirc... after the 2018 rule changes, a conversion was successful 8% of the time, and in 2019 just 6% of the time... not sure about 2020... couldn't find those numbers..

why wouldn't it be? clots used to do it a few years back and were very successful using that tactic... that was pre-2018 though, when the rule changes kicked in...

since then, on-side kick conversion success has been miserable, with the conversion rate dropping dramatically... a surprise onside kick was successful about 60%, an expected onsides kick 20% of the time iirc... after the 2018 rule changes, a conversion was successful 8% of the time, and in 2019 just 6% of the time... not sure about 2020... couldn't find those numbers..
I don't remember posting this, it was to early in the morning. But it happens with to much frequency, that is... not remembering that i posted something .:eek: Ill get back on the forum hours later and see i have notifications, and my first thought is for what. I then hit the icon and its "oh yeah, thats right i posted that" but had forgotten.

Take the ball first and ATTACK!!!

george-s-patton-quote-nobody-ever-defended-anything.jpg
I was thinking along the line of deferring but I now defer to @Joker and General Patton and will receive and beat the snot out of them.

Well it would catch the other team by surprise. I have a vague memory of a team starting the second half with an on side kick because they were behind by a lot.......it didnt work
The Saints did it in the SB vs Indy and it worked perfectly.

Defer 100%. Is anybody confident this offense takes the opening kickoff and starts scoring right away? Biggest game of mac’s career thus far on a big stage, he’ll have jitters early

Isn’t it the patriot way to defer like 99% of the time

Wrong thread

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents