PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

TNF: 1-2 Eagles at 3-0 Packers

Great ball game last night. Prior to kick off, I made this trade to my week 4 opponent in our keeper league:

Rodgers, A.J. Green, and Tarik Cohen

for

Cousins, Landry, and Devonta Freeman

(I already owned Brady at QB, needed a RB#2 upgrade over Cohen, and needed a live body at WR)

Then I had to hope Rodgers would have a sub-par game against the weak Eagles secondary....he goes off for 400 yards...but had a fumble and an interception for 19 total points...whew!!! I can over come that with Brady on Sunday or Dalton on Monday!

You would think they'd know from SB 49 not to throw at the goal line...

Inside Seattle's decision to pass from the 1
For starters, interceptions on pass plays at the 1-yard line are very rare. Wilson’s was the 109th pass attempt from the 1-yard line in the NFL this season and the first to be picked off.

In the past 10 seasons, including the playoffs, quarterbacks have thrown 270 passes on second down from the opponent’s 1. They combined for 129 touchdowns and just five interceptions (Wilson’s on Sunday being the fifth).

Give Butler and the Pats credit. They prepared for that play. They used a goal-line package for the first time all season, which forced Seattle's hand to throw the ball and Malcolm made the play of at least the last decade.

Inside Seattle's decision to pass from the 1

Give Butler and the Pats credit. They prepared for that play. They used a goal-line package for the first time all season, which forced Seattle's hand to throw the ball and Malcolm made the play of at least the last decade.

Seattle's call has become one of those "Well, it's so obvious that it was wrong!" erroneous thought lines that somehow become accepted as fact. We have a lot of those here. I'd guess that most forums have a lot of them, and I'd guess that the Seattle decision is one that's seen on pretty much every football forum.

Following up on the previous post, and according to PFT:

Outside of runs by Aaron Rodgers, the Packers managed 31 yards on 15 attempts

So the Packers' run game wasn't working.

Discount Double-Choke!

Only reason I was rooting for the Packers last night was so that the Eagles would go to 1-3 and start meltdown mode with their upcoming schedule..but alas poor Yorick it was not to be......

We see that play every week, it's usually money. Very hard to defend.

Their best bet would have been to have Rodgers run it in himself. They couldn't stop him all night. He was averaging 9 YPC.

Only reason I was rooting for the Packers last night was so that the Eagles would go to 1-3 and start meltdown mode with their upcoming schedule..but alas poor Yorick it was not to be......
Even at 1-3, philly would still be having fun

You would think they'd know from SB 49 not to throw at the goal line...

Two different plays altogether.

In SB49 the defender broke for the ball and took it away from the receiver to win the SB.

In the Packers' game last night the defender interfered with the receiver from behind, causing the ball to deflect to another defender to win an early season game.

In SB49 the defender broke for the ball and took it away from the receiver to win the SB.

In the Packers' game last night the defender interfered with the receiver from behind, causing the ball to deflect to another defender to win an early season game.

When the game is on the line, it's a low percentage play as many bad things could happen such as uncalled interference or an interception, as you say. If you look back at the actual play, Rodgers had an opening to run the ball in - it would have been close but if he came up short the Packers had 2 timeouts they could have used.

Their best bet would have been to have Rodgers run it in himself. They couldn't stop him all night. He was averaging 9 YPC.
Play calling was McCarthy bad. Packers fans must some of the most frustrated on earth.

Both true. That's why I'm curious if the coach called any runs in that sequence, and Rodgers just audibled out of it.
According to Rodgers and Lafluer the 3rd play was a run/pass option.

Throwing at the goal line works 99% of the time. People always complain when it doesn't work. Dumb.

Do you think they should have reviewed the play for DPI? I was hoping they would, just so we could get our first total meltdown from fans about the stupidity of this new system, since it was a coin flip on whether or not that’s DPI and it’s Aaron Rodgers at home.

I got the impression from LaFleur that Rodgers changed calls at the goal line.
One was definitely an RPO that Rodgers pulled out of. Idk apparently it's extremely difficult to pair a smart, innovative coach w a really good QB.

Throwing at the goal line works 99% of the time. People always complain when it doesn't work. Dumb.

Quite interested as to which orifice you pulled that statistic out of.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
Back