PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

'TMQ Nation Fires Back"

Status
Not open for further replies.
For all intents and purposes, it DOES end the game. How fast can you score 1 TD from 95 yards away, let alone 2??

I don't know, but how many TD's can you score in 6 minutes? 3, maybe? Because Dungy and the Colts went for a two point conversion to try and make it 42-21, but failed. But that was a sign of respect. :rolleyes:

Then with 2:00 minutes left on a 3 and 4th Manning throws the ball to get a first down? He should have just run it up the gut, then he should have taken a knee and gave the Pats the ball back with 1:16 on the clock, right? I mean after all how many TD's can you score in 1:16?:confused:

Nothing like good sportsmanship! :rocker:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playbyplay?gameId=251107017&period=4

I don't know, but how many TD's can you score in 6 minutes? 3, maybe? Because Dungy and the Colts went for a two point conversion to try and make it 42-21, but failed. But that was a sign of respect.

Then with 2:00 minutes left on a 3 and 4th Manning throws the ball to get a first down? He should have just run it up the gut, then he should have taken a knee and gave the Pats the ball back with 1:16 on the clock, right? I mean after all how many TD's can you score in 1:16?

Nothing like good sportsmanship!

No, no, no. You don't understand. It didn't matter when the Colts were the ones running it up because Dungy is Good. Belichick is Evil and a big meanie, ad nauseaum ad infintum.

I wonder if he has something against Massachusetts and Boston...and it's just leaking over to the Patriots.

For all intents and purposes, it DOES end the game. How fast can you score 1 TD from 95 yards away, let alone 2??
Hypocrit. The Colts are no one to talk about scoring while ahead by 2 TDs. They certainly have no reason to complain about not turning the ball over on downs when up by 14. How long to score a couple TDs?A long bomb to TO, an onside kick recovered for a TD, or a long pass play to the endzone, either completed or PI called in endzone.

Don't tell me you never saw a team score 2 TD in the space of less than a minute. You are obviously a recent Colt fan, never having seen an incredible comeback made against the Bucs. I'll be the Bucs wished they'd tried harder to score when up by a ton. Look up some Colts stats sometime.

Dallas must have thought there was a chance to tie for OT. Why else would they call a time out?

Had Dallas not called the timeout, BB said he would have knelt. You kneel when you can end the game by kneeling. Period. You don't kneel and give teh ball back after kneeling. That is plain stupid.

Easterbrook's mistake is thinking they could run the clock out by kneeling, and not realizing the Pats in effect had not three but two downs, becasue the clock did not begin until they snapped on second down (due to Dallas's timeout), and the clock would stop on the change of possession. The COwboys would have had the ball back with about 40-50 seconds left. Not a lot of time to make up 14 points, but it's been done and why give them the opportunity. They obviously that it was possible, or why call a time out?

But none of this matters. The point is not that the Pats scored; the pont is that Easterbrook has an agenda and is too cowardly to admit it.

If the Cowboys had done this, he would not paint them evil, he wound invoke the football gods repaying BB. He has no comment on any of the times the Colts scored a lot of points.

The whole thing is stupid except for the fact that it angers BB and therefore gets the players riled up.

He just doesn't know how much he is helping BB this year.

THe fact is that BB always played conservatively. We remember, if Esterbrook doesn't, our agonizing over the Pats inability to put teams away and constantly win by a TD or less. In fact, one of the knocks agaisnt the Pats was that they never dominated.

If the league wants to take our #1 draft pick, yeah, that is annoying. But what really must burn is the League doing nothing when teh Dolphins BRAGGED about stealing our signals. And what burns most is other coaches and players hypocritically calling the Pats prior wins tainted. Every team tries to steal signal. The call it spygate, but no spying was involved. It was done out in the open. People scoff when BB said he thought it was legal, but have never answered why the video-taping was done in the open by a badged staffer. Sorry, that isn't spying.

I doubt BB feels any compassion for very few teams right now, certaoinly not Dallas whose head coach had just called his prior superbowls tainted.

Hey, be real. You have poked a lion with a sharp stick when he was down. What did you think would happen when the lion got up?

Although it annoys me, I am willing to accept the LeBatards and Esterbrooks of the world. Without them we would not have the record we have now, nor would we be as dominant.

Teams go into a game now thinking how great the Pats are, and wondering if they can win. That can only be a plus. Soon everyone in the NFL will start thinking this is the Patriots year. When that happens we will be hard to beat.

Last edited:
Even with the Boys T.O., you easily get the clock down inside 30 seconds with three kneels. By the time that last kneel happens, and everyone is just milling about, I guarantee you the BOYS take a knee, JUST LIKE THEY DID AFTER THE KICKOFF.
!) The clock stops after the last kneel on change of possession. Why would the Cowboys mill about? They called a timeout so that they would get possession. Your claim makes no sense.

2)So tell me, if you guarantee they would kneel (how can you guarantee what anyone else will do?), then why did the Cowboys call a timeout? Are you saying it was not to get the ball back?

3) They knelt because the last TD put the game out of their reach. It was not out of reach down 2 TDs. That's why they called a timeout. Had we not scored, they felt they had a shot at tying the game. BB agreed with them.

I wish you would think for 30 seconds about stating the Cowboys called a timeout in order to kneel. You may want to change your mind.

Last edited:
With regard to Indy, you don't even need to go back that far. Indy threw for a TD with only 4 minutes left against a Jax team that had no chance of scoring just this past week.

With regard to Indy, you don't even need to go back that far. Indy threw for a TD with only 4 minutes left against a Jax team that had no chance of scoring just this past week.

Lies! All lies! Dungy and God's team would never ever score when it wasn't absolutely necessary. Also, in the Jacksonville game, Manning spent halftime handing out the team's used towels to the homeless. True story.

!) The clock stops after the last kneel on change of possession. Why would the Cowboys mill about? They called a timeout so that they would get possession. Your claim makes no sense.

2)So tell me, if you guarantee they would kneel (how can you guarantee what anyone else will do?), then why did the Cowboys call a timeout? Are you saying it was not to get the ball back?

3) They knelt because the last TD put the game out of their reach. It was not out of reach down 2 TDs. That's why they called a timeout. Had we not scored, they felt they had a shot at tying the game. BB agreed with them.

I wish you would think for 30 seconds about stating the Cowboys called a timeout in order to kneel. You may want to change your mind.
With 1:46 left, the Boys HAD to call T.O., might as well use it. But MY opinion is that once they take that knee on second, and thake that knee on third, by the time 4th rolls around, and they see that clock tic tic ticking, they know it's over. It's incredibly irrational to think that TO will go the distance, it just ain't gonna happen. When is the last time a team scored two TD's in the final 20-25 seconds of a game?

The '05 game, passing for a first and keeping the ball, with a full minute+ to play is one thing. Scoring with 20 seconds to play is another. But oh well. How did we get to this topic again? I really don't care. But what I might care about, is some of the rationale behind it.

Dallas could come back.
We didn't want to trot the D out to risk injury.
Couldn't run out the clock.

While I will acknowledge they couldn't technically run it to 00:00, by the time it got to 20 secs, reality sets in for the Boys.

> When is the last time a team scored two TD's in the final 20-25 seconds of a game?

Doesn't matter. We just saw Dallas the week before come from behind in the closing moments to win. Belichick would be remiss to give them that opportunity again.

With 1:46 left, the Boys HAD to call T.O.
I keep asking you why they took a time out. The certainly did not HAVE to. They chose to.

It's incredibly irrational to think that TO will go the distance, it just ain't gonna happen.
I agree it is very unlikely, but it is possible. What I don't understand (and you keep avoiding answering me):

1) If they had no chance of winning the game, why did they call a time out?

2) exactly what is your problem with not kneeling down? I have never seen a team kneel down unless by doing so they could walk off the field. What game have you ever seen where a team kneeled and by doing so gave the ball back to the other team?

3) Would you feel the same way if the Colts ran or passed the ball when up by 2 TDs with under 2 minutes to play? In other words, are you being hypocritical?

If you were honest, here are you answers:

1) Obviously, the Cowboys felt they could have won the game. Otherwise there was no point in scoring.

2) I have never heard of any team with a 2 TD lead ever kneeling and turning the ball over on downs. I only say it is the wrong thing to do because it is the Patriots.

3) If the Colts did this, I would not have a problem. In fact, in 2004 the Colts knelt, the other team called a time out, and Peyton went deep. He didn't run to knock time off the clock. He went deep to score to show the other team it was stupid to call the time out. That was fine by me, but it was the Colts. It is different for the Pats. They are classless. (In other words, yeah, I'm a hypocrit.)

wow......just read the TMQ good vs evil piece.

Easterbrook has clearly missed his calling in life. He would have have been a perfect spin doctor in bill clinton's war room along with george stuffitupoulous.

As someone noted earlier, Easterbrook actually is a right wing christian coalition supporter, so he isn't going to work for any democrat in our lifetime. I think ESPN fired him for some racist or anti-semitic comments a few years ago, but I guess he's back now. He's the male version of Ann Coulter.

If they didn't want him to score, maybe they should have stopped the runningback that is 4TH ON THE PATRIOTS DEPTH CHART. Don't you think, MAYBE, Bellicheck was throwing the kid a bone by giving him his firt NFL TD?
heh, A colts fan whining about running up the score, that's RICH.

I keep asking you why they took a time out. The certainly did not HAVE to. They chose to.

I agree it is very unlikely, but it is possible. What I don't understand (and you keep avoiding answering me):

1) If they had no chance of winning the game, why did they call a time out?

2) exactly what is your problem with not kneeling down? I have never seen a team kneel down unless by doing so they could walk off the field. What game have you ever seen where a team kneeled and by doing so gave the ball back to the other team?

3) Would you feel the same way if the Colts ran or passed the ball when up by 2 TDs with under 2 minutes to play? In other words, are you being hypocritical?

If you were honest, here are you answers:

1) Obviously, the Cowboys felt they could have won the game. Otherwise there was no point in scoring.

2) I have never heard of any team with a 2 TD lead ever kneeling and turning the ball over on downs. I only say it is the wrong thing to do because it is the Patriots.

3) If the Colts did this, I would not have a problem. In fact, in 2004 the Colts knelt, the other team called a time out, and Peyton went deep. He didn't run to knock time off the clock. He went deep to score to show the other team it was stupid to call the time out. That was fine by me, but it was the Colts. It is different for the Pats. They are classless. (In other words, yeah, I'm a hypocrit.)

With 1:46 or whatever to play, I think you HAVE to call time out. Because who knows what might happen. So, that is the last time out. Now, If I am the Awesomes, or any team for that matter, at this point, I go with the play that has the LOWEST % of failure. I don't want to turn the ball over right?? I mean, look at the Steelers. They were knocking on Indy's door in '05, handoff to Bettis...BAM!!!! If NE was TRUELY concerned about the possibility of a comeback, why even hand the ball off?? You actually played right into the Cowboys hands, by actually giving them an opportunity to strip the ball. Bettis was a pretty sure handed guy too, it's not like he goes Edgerrin and fumbles at the goal line very often :D.

So, now, we kneel once, tick tock, tick tock. The game slips away. Knell again, tick tock, tick tock, continues to slip. Now that the Boys were prevented from making a play on the ball, and the last seconds are winding off the clock, they too come to the realization that the game is over. Done, Finito. I don't care that you scored the TD, my protest surrounds how the play(s) are being defended by the members here, that's all.

With 1:46 or whatever to play, I think you HAVE to call time out. Because who knows what might happen. So, that is the last time out. Now, If I am the Awesomes, or any team for that matter, at this point, I go with the play that has the LOWEST % of failure. I don't want to turn the ball over right?? I mean, look at the Steelers. They were knocking on Indy's door in '05, handoff to Bettis...BAM!!!! If NE was TRUELY concerned about the possibility of a comeback, why even hand the ball off?? You actually played right into the Cowboys hands, by actually giving them an opportunity to strip the ball. Bettis was a pretty sure handed guy too, it's not like he goes Edgerrin and fumbles at the goal line very often .

It's not that simple. you have to compare the possibility of the boys scoring two touchdowns to the possibility of them stripping the ball from our FB - scoring a touchdown and then scoring another touchdown with an onside kick.

Both things are pretty unlikely. I think it's harder to strip the ball from a guy and run it for a touchdown then excute a very long drive and score a touchdown.

So, now, we kneel once, tick tock, tick tock. The game slips away. Knell again, tick tock, tick tock, continues to slip. Now that the Boys were prevented from making a play on the ball, and the last seconds are winding off the clock, they too come to the realization that the game is over. Done, Finito. I don't care that you scored the TD, my protest surrounds how the play(s) are being defended by the members here, that's all.

I think the thinking here is why put your defensive/special teams players at risk? Your giving the ball back to the boys and letting them throw a hail mary play to score their first touchdown. Lots of things can go wrong on those kind of crazy plays. If Asante Samuel gets hurt because you GAVE The ball back to the Cowboys - your never going to forgive yourself. OTOH if Kyle Eckel gets hurt in his little scamper - who the heck cares. Additionally he just might score and eliminate the Cowboys chances for a comeback altogether (even if they were at 1 in million before).

BB made the logical call, IMHO. Yes either way we would have one the game but what he did is sound coaching.

Pete

Last edited:
It's not that simple. you have to compare the possibility of the boys scoring two touchdowns to the possibility of them stripping the ball from our FB - scoring a touchdown and then scoring another touchdown with an onside kick.

Both things are pretty unlikely. I think it's harder to strip the ball from a guy and run it for a touchdown then excute a very long drive and score a touchdown.

I think the thinking here is why put your defensive/special teams players at risk? Your giving the ball back to the boys and letting them throw a hail mary play to score their first touchdown. Lots of things can go wrong on those kind of crazy plays. If Asante Samuel gets hurt because you GAVE The ball back to the Cowboys - your never going to forgive yourself. OTOH if Kyle Eckel gets hurt in his little scamper - who the heck cares. Additionally he just might score and eliminate the Cowboys chances for a comeback altogether (even if they were at 1 in million before).

BB made the logical call, IMHO. Yes either way we would have one the game but what he did is sound coaching.

Pete

Sound coaching??? Ooooo...He Ban Me won't like that one!!!!!!!!!!!!

With 1:46 left, the Boys HAD to call T.O., might as well use it. But MY opinion is that once they take that knee on second, and thake that knee on third, by the time 4th rolls around, and they see that clock tic tic ticking, they know it's over. It's incredibly irrational to think that TO will go the distance, it just ain't gonna happen. When is the last time a team scored two TD's in the final 20-25 seconds of a game?

The '05 game, passing for a first and keeping the ball, with a full minute+ to play is one thing. Scoring with 20 seconds to play is another. But oh well. How did we get to this topic again? I really don't care. But what I might care about, is some of the rationale behind it.

Dallas could come back.
We didn't want to trot the D out to risk injury.
Couldn't run out the clock.

While I will acknowledge they couldn't technically run it to 00:00, by the time it got to 20 secs, reality sets in for the Boys.

Ummm, last night in the BC-VT game...BC "scored" on a long pass with 36 seconds left. It was called back by a holding call. Then an ncopmplete pass, then another long TD pass with 23 seconds left on the clock. So, two TDS in less then 20-25 seconds. Oh, but wait, I get it, after you score the first TD, then you need to recover an onside kick...and that NEVER hapens ...right, BC?

I mean, have you ever watched football in your life?

With 1:46 or whatever to play, I think you HAVE to call time out. Because who knows what might happen. So, that is the last time out. Now, If I am the Awesomes, or any team for that matter, at this point, I go with the play that has the LOWEST % of failure. I don't want to turn the ball over right?? I mean, look at the Steelers. They were knocking on Indy's door in '05, handoff to Bettis...BAM!!!! If NE was TRUELY concerned about the possibility of a comeback, why even hand the ball off?? You actually played right into the Cowboys hands, by actually giving them an opportunity to strip the ball. Bettis was a pretty sure handed guy too, it's not like he goes Edgerrin and fumbles at the goal line very often :D.

You didn't address anything anybody said!! You're amazing!

It is COMPLETELY possible to score two touchdowns with 30 seconds left on the clock. COMPLETELY. Argue that, please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes