PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Titans' Fisher: Refs are doing a swell job, the fans are the problem...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seymour93

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs05/news/story?id=2322700

Tennessee Titans coach and competition committee co-chairman Jeff Fisher, while conceding that officials did not have a good weekend in the divisional round contests, lauded game officials in general for their work. He noted that the game is so thoroughly covered now by the media that officials have, at times, become targets, and often unfairly.

"When you have the amount of coverage that the game is getting in comparison to 10 years ago, they have to find more and more things to talk about," Fisher said. "Because of the enormous amount of coverage the game is getting, officiating is getting scrutinized now more so than it has in the past."

So it's our fault for calling out lousy refereeing? :rolleyes:

And they??? Who the f--- is they? They, the fans, who make the league what it is? They, the fans, who pay your bloated salary? :enranged:

So, what's he ever won?

PatsFanSince74 said:
So, what's he ever won?

Exactly! So why should this clown be co-chairing the competitions committee? After all, he's partially responsible for the increase of these unnecessary, ticky-tacky rules that have plagued the league for the past few seasons.

Refs doing a "swell" job?? What game did he watch...

Fisher is also one of these goody two shoes "Christian" speakers...that's right..for a price he'll talk to your group or congregation about God...guess he knows HIM personally...of course this comes at a price....21 to 30 thousand dollars a speaking engagement...must be weird at these rules committee meetings what with Fisher wearing his angel wings and Polian dressed as Mephistopheles.

Joker said:
Fisher is also one of these goody two shoes "Christian" speakers...that's right..for a price he'll talk to your group or congregation about God...guess he knows HIM personally...of course this comes at a price....21 to 30 thousand dollars a speaking engagement...must be weird at these rules committee meetings what with Fisher wearing his angel wings and Polian dressed as Mephistopheles.

So what. Why does that make him evil or stupid? What does that have to do with football? Everybody has a right to believe what they want and make a living legally doing what they want. So you bash his faith because he is open about it? This comment is pure ******ation.
P.S. Thanks for living up to your name.

Last edited:
Wow....easy there big fella...I'm only remarking on the irony of his evangelical background in contrast with the exorbitant price of his sermonizing...excuse me all to hell if that offends your fragile sensibilities....you go right ahead and get back to the Jim Baker and Tammy Faye Hour...and by all means contribute your life savings...maybe Jimmy Swaggert will contact Coach Fisher and see if he can get YOU a discount

Joker said:
Wow....easy there big fella...I'm only remarking on the irony of his evangelical background in contrast with the exorbitant price of his sermonizing...excuse me all to hell if that offends your fragile sensibilities....you go right ahead and get back to the Jim Baker and Tammy Faye Hour...and by all means contribute your life savings...maybe Jimmy Swaggert will contact Coach Fisher and see if he can get YOU a discount
Speakers in general can command anywhere from 10k to 100k. I don't think he should have to take less because of what he's speaking about.

Again....ZOOM...right over your heads everytime anyone questions the agenda of one of these holier than thou media or sports figures....I was commenting on the IRONY of being a multigazillionaire sports figure hiring himself out to anybody/everybody who will pay his tithe so he can deliver sermons and at the same time question publicly the morals and intentions of the media and the fans who complained about OBVIOUS AND DISGUSTING misapplication of the rules of football. Who made Jeff Fisher God's right hand and spokesperson for all that is right and just?

Jesus spoke to multitudes and fed thousands...and never charged a dime...therein lies the Fisher irony

Last edited:
fierce said:
Speakers in general can command anywhere from 10k to 100k. I don't think he should have to take less because of what he's speaking about.

I think Joker is just pointing out the irony (or is it hypocrisy) of Fischer preaching about religion and spirituality on the one hand, and raking in money for these lectures on the other hand.

I'm sure Fischer is aware that it is the meek and the poor who shall inherit the earth; and that it is easier for the camel to pass thru the eye of a needle than for a wealthy man like him to enter the kingdom of God :D

Last edited:
We're the problem? The officials are doing a good job? Lord, I hope he's in the minority of coaches and upper echelon decision makers in the NFL. I can't take watching a botched product much longer. Horrible.

His whining about the fans being upset is insane. We're who pay for EVERYTHING that NFL stands for. Our opinion is what matters most because without us there'd BE no frigging NFL. It's like any other consumer based product. If they start bashing their fans, they'll soon find that there are fewer of us.

Fisher's statement indicates the real problem. The competition committee is oblivious in their inner directed world to the damage to the product being done by inept refs. Why owners would let a multi-billion dollar inductry be jeapordized by inept ref crews is a mystery. Just the HINT of gambling influence would seriously undermine their market. If I ever come to believe that the fix is in, I stop watching and turn my interests elsewhere. Take note NFL.

I appreciate the irony, but it's irrelevant. It's an ad hominem argument.

I think the officials are doing a *terrible* job. I don't think it was ever necessarily any better than it is now. Many have suggested that the NFL hire full-time officials, and I don't think that's a bad idea. But I don't know if that would necessarily improve the officiating. After pondering NFL officiating for a few years, I'm beginning to suspect that the nature of the sport makes error-free officiating very difficult. I's not impossible to have an error-free game, but it's like winning the lottery. It's luck. There are too few eyes watching a lot of player activity.

Instant replay helps, but it is limited. Sometimes even cameras don't catch the right angle to see what really happened.

All the same, officiating has got to get better. If Pereira, nice guy that he is, doesn't improve his crew's performance, he's got to go. There are a lot of errors that are beyond mere mistakes. There are flags flying for penalties that didn't happen. Officials are seeing things that aren't really there. That really gets me steamed.

One of the reasons it's so hard to show bias is because we only get multiple angles on flagged plays or TDs. So we can point to the Samuel "P.I." in the end zone or the ticky tack P.I. on the Seattle TD (Officiating equivalent of ticketing someone for going 36 in a 35 MPH zone) but it's harder to have video evidence of the all the infractions just not called on the other team.

Pats_Bryan said:
I appreciate the irony, but it's irrelevant. It's an ad hominem argument.

I think the officials are doing a *terrible* job. I don't think it was ever necessarily any better than it is now. Many have suggested that the NFL hire full-time officials, and I don't think that's a bad idea. But I don't know if that would necessarily improve the officiating. After pondering NFL officiating for a few years, I'm beginning to suspect that the nature of the sport makes error-free officiating very difficult. I's not impossible to have an error-free game, but it's like winning the lottery. It's luck. There are too few eyes watching a lot of player activity.

Instant replay helps, but it is limited. Sometimes even cameras don't catch the right angle to see what really happened.

All the same, officiating has got to get better. If Pereira, nice guy that he is, doesn't improve his crew's performance, he's got to go. There are a lot of errors that are beyond mere mistakes. There are flags flying for penalties that didn't happen. Officials are seeing things that aren't really there. That really gets me steamed.
Well said.

Tags needs to fire Pereira and retire, let's let Condoleeza run the show for awhile - right NEM? :p

Joker said:
Again....ZOOM...right over your heads everytime anyone questions the agenda of one of these holier than thou media or sports figures....I was commenting on the IRONY of being a multigazillionaire sports figure hiring himself out to anybody/everybody who will pay his tithe so he can deliver sermons and at the same time question publicly the morals and intentions of the media and the fans who complained about OBVIOUS AND DISGUSTING misapplication of the rules of football. Who made Jeff Fisher God's right hand and spokesperson for all that is right and just?

Jesus spoke to multitudes and fed thousands...and never charged a dime...therein lies the Fisher irony

How can something be over our heads when it is the trash that needs to walked upon? You have no right to question Fisher in his area of faith and practice, and take your wrath of religious irony to another board. Who are you to judge him? It has no place here. Nobody cares about your religious positions or observations, and it has nothing to do with this post wether irony or not. The OBVIOUS AND DISGUSTING part is you judging another man for his faith and practice in a country of free worship. Who cares if you or anybody else agrees with him. He can do as he chooses and I do not have to listen to your sarcasm on a man's faith. If you want to talk about football, great. Leave you religious sarcasm at the door.

Digger44 said:
How can something be over our heads when it is the trash that needs to walked upon? You have no right to question Fisher in his area of faith and practice, and take your wrath of religious irony to another board. Who are you to judge him? It has no place here. Nobody cares about your religious positions or observations, and it has nothing to do with this post wether irony or not. The OBVIOUS AND DISGUSTING part is you judging another man for his faith and practice in a country of free worship. Who cares if you or anybody else agrees with him. He can do as he chooses and I do not have to listen to your sarcasm on a man's faith. If you want to talk about football, great. Leave you religious sarcasm at the door.

More irony: You blasting someone for judging religious beliefs in a country of free worship, and then telling him not to express his opinion in a country of free speech. I'm just sayin'. :D

I don't give a hoot about the whole argument and I don't give a hoot about anyone's religious beliefs, but to me the guy is free to talk about whatever he wants, I just skip those posts and chose not to read them if they don't concern me. It might help yah if you tried the same.

Brownfan80 said:
More irony: You blasting someone for judging religious beliefs in a country of free worship, and then telling him not to express his opinion in a country of free speech. I'm just sayin'. :D

I don't give a hoot about the whole argument and I don't give a hoot about anyone's religious beliefs, but to me the guy is free to talk about whatever he wants, I just skip those posts and chose not to read them if they don't concern me. It might help yah if you tried the same.
A private football discussion board has nothing to do with free speach. The man's faith has absolutely NOTHING to do with his role as a coach or his remarks about the officiating which is what i thought this thread was started for.

How about making officials full time employees of the NFL. Pay them a good wage and recriut from the college ranks. Give them incentive bonuses for a job well done.

Suspend those who are making bad calls after a review of the work. Fire those who continually make bad calls.

It may cost the NFL some more money to do this but in the long run it will pay off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes