PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tippett most overrated?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I honestly think that Morgan got a fair shake for most of his career, that he was a very good WR, but that he isn't quite HOF worthy.

Maybe he wasn't HOF worthy but I think there is little doubt he would have gotten much more consideration simply by playing on a better team.

Every year, the very good but not quite HOF worthy Art Monk doesn't make the HOF and there is a huge uproar. Morgan got no consideration.

Stanley Morgan had more career TDs, the same amount of seasons in the top 10 in the league in yards, more years of top 10 in TDs, and averaged a ridiculous 5.5 yards more per catch than Monk. Monk who was a possession WR caught a lot more balls and played 2 more years. They averaged virtually idenitcal yards per game.

Why is one a non factor and one a cause championed by fans and media? The Redskins won 3 Super Bowls. That is the only reason. You can agree or disagree that it is a valid reason but there is no doubt it is the reason and that the success of their teams has played the major role in how they are viewed.

If L Taylor never played, Andre Tippett would have been LT. The only reason he isn't talked about as nuch or in the HOF, IMO, is because LT came around and took Andre's thunder.

I first off want to say thank you for all the positive feed back. You guys are awesome. It's a dam shame that it really matters what team you play for to be highly recognized. It sound to me also that he was underrated. Whether I heard it wrong or right, I did get to learn something. I got to learn more about the history of a team that I truly love, and a guy that was once the name of a franchise. It sound like if I was only 5 yeras older I would of gotten the chance to remember him by his play on the field and not just as a player by name. You guys really made me see who this guy was on the field. I actually visualized him in my head beating OL men to the outside and swarming over QB's. You guys really made this thread an expierence for me. Thanks again.

Maybe he confused him with Ronnie "Toast" Lippett.

I think Ernest Gibson got beat a lot more than Lippett did. When Lippett came into the league, he did get beat. He developed, in my opinion, to be pretty decent CB. Gibson never ever did. He drove me crazy.

And on any other team Tippett and Morgan would have been stars and would now be in the hall of fame.

Many of you know that I am a Jets fan. Always will be.

I watched Andre Tippett all those years as an opposing player. These days, I have the pleasure of knowing Andre as a friend. He was one of the few Patriots I can name that I either coveted or feared as an Jets opponent. As a person, he is one of the more soft-spoken and charitable people you'll find. He also has a pretty flippin' good sense of humor.

I hope that THIS year, Ron Borges can be more persuasive with his Hall of Fame presentation, because I would like nothing more than to see Tip inducted.*
*Well, with the possible exception of Joe Klecko.

Possibly the best compliment you can pay someone is how much they are feared by their opponents.

To address your other point, I saw very little of Klecko, but understand that he was a beast in that Sack Exchange.

Maybe he wasn't HOF worthy but I think there is little doubt he would have gotten much more consideration simply by playing on a better team.

Every year, the very good but not quite HOF worthy Art Monk doesn't make the HOF and there is a huge uproar. Morgan got no consideration.

I agree with both points. Players on great teams are "overrated" for HOF purposes. And Monk isn't quite HOF worthy IMHO.

Why is one a non factor and one a cause championed by fans and media? The Redskins won 3 Super Bowls. That is the only reason. You can agree or disagree that it is a valid reason but there is no doubt it is the reason and that the success of their teams has played the major role in how they are viewed.

I agree. But that doesn't change the fact (IMHO) that Morgan isn't quite HOF worthy. ;)

Frankly, I"m surprised that the Pats haven't had more Pro Bowlers the last 5 years. Very abnormal for a successful team not to be well represented at the pro bowl.

Look for more this year, even if Richard Seymour does't go due to having missed the first 6 games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News