PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tippett most overrated?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Andre Tippett and Stanley Morgan are two guys from that era that if they played for almost any other team, would be Hall of Famers. Hell, if they played for Pittsburgh or Dallas, they would have been enshrined the day they were eligible.

Recent Patriot players such as Vinatieri, McGinest, Law, and Dillon get HOF "bonus points" they don't deserve because they played for New England.

Players like Morgan, Tippett, and Raymond Clayborn, get unfairly penalized because they played for New England. The Patriots have probably won more games in the last 6 years than they won during those guys' entire careers.

I believe that Sal Pal wrote that Tippett was one of the most Under-rated LBs, along with Bill Bergy. Sam Huff was listed as one of the most Over-rated.

Tippett was a bright light consistently during the "lean years", he played with a full motor and was consistent as anyone who played the game. He was also a role model on and off the field, if he played for a "big" market team at that time would be in the HOF hands down.

As a 3rd degree black belt, Tippett had amazing strength and speed. His hands were incredibly fast and strong. He was good against the run and downright scary as a blitzer.

The play I remember being amazed that Tippett made, was a play down in Miami. Miami ran a sweep to his side. With the OT engaging Tippett, Tippett got a hand on the back of the Miami RB's shoulder pad (up near the neck) as the RB tried to squeak by Tippett. Tippett then literally snapped his wrist and the RB off his feet and landing on his back with his feet still in the air. In the background Marino's mouth was a perfect "O". (like Oh my God! Did you see that?) Amazing strength.

Tippett's numbers probably could have been better if Blackmon, the other OLB, doesn't hurt his neck and have to retire.

Favre is very overrated. His gunslinger thing only worked once, 11 years ago, and that was against Drew Bledsoe, WITH Reggie White making things easy.

He is durable, but not a very smart player.

Tippett was a god.

I was never a huge fan of Favre or his style, but the guy just broke the all time NFL record for touchdowns.

Is he in the same class as Marino, Montana, Brady, Manning, Young, Elway (in whatever order you want to put them)? IMHO, no.

But don't tell me he's THAT overrated.

Sal also said Corey Dillon is one of the most underrated RBs of all time:D

Echoing the many other posters, I also saw him play. He and Lawrence Taylor were redefining the OLB position in the NFL. Unfortunately for Tippett, and fortunately for Taylor:

1. Taylor had some moronic defensive coordinator named Belichick coaching him

2. Taylor had a few other real HOF quality defensive players on the same team. Tippett had some stalwarts, but nobody that compared with Banks and those guys.

3. NY! Parcells!! The Giants!!! Compared to Rod Rust, etc. *sigh*

And, as others have mentioned, Tippett played over the TE on the strong side of the offensive formation (back then the TE was almost always on the offensive right) while Taylor played on the weak side.

Think Tippett had 18 sacks one year.

He was a great, GREAT player. Well deserving of the HOF.

But don't get me wrong -- homer glasses aside, that coked-out whacko LT was probably the greatest linebacker in NFL history. But that doesn't detract from the fact that Tippett was really damned good.

Sal also said Corey Dillon is one of the most underrated RBs of all time:D

I can see that. I still don't know how he put up any stats at all with those suck-azz Bengals teams he played with. I mean, seriously -- even Barry Sanders had it better than Corey on offense, with that great WR he had on his team all htose years (whose name is totally escaping me right now).

Corey had absolutely nobody that I can think of.

From Wiki

Tippett is a member of the NFL’s 1980s all-decade team. The five other linebackers on the team are already in the Hall of Fame (Lawrence Taylor, Mike Singletary, Harry Carson, Ted Hendricks and Jack Lambert.)

--Tippett was selected to five Pro Bowls in his career, earning the nod in five straight seasons from 1984-88.

--From 1984-85, Tippett recorded the highest two-season sack total by a linebacker in NFL history, totaling 35.0 sacks during the two seasons. His 18.5 sacks in 1984 are the third most by any linebacker in a single season, while his 16.5 sacks in 1985 are tied for the sixth most by any linebacker in NFL history. He achieved the feat despite playing primarily on the strong side, lining up opposite of a tight end, in an era where most successful pass-rushers lined up on the weak side.

--Tippett ranked seventh on the all-time sacks list at the time of his retirement following the 1993 season.

--Tippett ranked third among linebackers on the all-time sacks list at the time of his retirement following the 1993 season.

--Over his career, Tippett recorded 100 sacks in 151 games, an average of 0.662 sacks per game. The mark currently ranks fourth in NFL history among linebackers. I wonder if any of the 3 guys ahead of him played strongside? Doubt it.

--Tippett was named the NFL’s linebacker of the year by the NFL Players Association for three straight seasons from 1985-87. He was also named to the Associated Press All-NFL First Team on two occasions (1985, 1987).

--Tippett holds the Patriots’ franchise record with 100.0 career sacks. He also owns the top three single-season sack performances in Patriots history (18.5 in 1984, 16.5 in 1985 and 12.5 in 1987).

--Tippett recovered 17 opponents’ fumbles during his career, tying him for first on the Patriots’ all-time list (Steve Nelson). He also forced 14 fumbles in his career.

As the name suggests I am in firmly in the great player camp. AT was class both on and off the field, he could dominate one side of the field and always led to quarterbacks having to check off Tippett as well as his receivers.

If LT wasn't in the league, Andre would have been considered the top LB at the time.

I can see that. I still don't know how he put up any stats at all with those suck-azz Bengals teams he played with. I mean, seriously -- even Barry Sanders had it better than Corey on offense, with that great WR he had on his team all htose years (whose name is totally escaping me right now).

Corey had absolutely nobody that I can think of.

Is Herman Moore the Lions WR you are thinking of?

I'd agree that Dillon would be amongst those underrated running backs. He was able to put up nice stats on bad/hideous Bengals teams '98-'02.

Terry

Last edited:
Andre Tippett and Stanley Morgan are two guys from that era that if they played for almost any other team, would be Hall of Famers. Hell, if they played for Pittsburgh or Dallas, they would have been enshrined the day they were eligible.
I'll disagree on Morgan. He played on the late 70s Pats teams that had very good offenses, and Grogan wasn't the worst QB to work with in history -- far from it for a guy like Morgan. He was a speedster, and Grogan loved the deep bomb.

Morgan's career overlapped some pretty talented offensive players, including some very good offensive linemen, Russ Francis, etc.

I honestly think that Morgan got a fair shake for most of his career, that he was a very good WR, but that he isn't quite HOF worthy.

Is Herman Moore the Lions WR you are thinking of?

I'd agree that Dillon would be amongst those underrated running backs. He was able to put up nice stats on bad Bengals teams in the late 90s.

Terry

Yeah, there you go. Not all-time great, but extremely, extremely good.

From Wiki:

Moore was drafted in the first round of the 1991 NFL Draft by the Detroit Lions, where he enjoyed a great deal of success. He was selected to four Pro Bowls, from 1994-1997. He was the second player (after Jerry Rice) to have three 100-catch seasons. Also in 1995, Moore and teammate Brett Perriman (108 catches) became the first WR duo to each catch more than 100 receptions in the same season. In 1998, Herman Moore received the inagural All-Iron Award for his performance in the Thanksgiving game.

Moore finished his 12 NFL seasons with 670 receptions for 9,174 yards and 62 touchdowns.

Andre was the man!

I can't believe some of these suckers that have made it to the HOF over him.

He was always one of my faves

Maybe he confused him with Ronnie "Toast" Lippett.

Lippett's first few years in the league was very painful to watch. After blowing some easy coverages I was sure that at some point Marion was going to slap this guy silly on national TV.

But you know, after those first 3-4 years, I think Lippett became a servicable CB for us. (Never to be confused with Mike Haynes or even a Ty Law for that matter, but servicable.)

Lippett's first few years in the league was very painful to watch. After blowing some easy coverages I was sure that at some point Marion was going to slap this guy silly on national TV.

But you know, after those first 3-4 years, I think Lippett became a servicable CB for us. (Never to be confused with Mike Haynes or even a Ty Law for that matter, but servicable.)

I agree. I think he even got to the Pro Bowl one year.

Many of you know that I am a Jets fan. Always will be.

I watched Andre Tippett all those years as an opposing player. These days, I have the pleasure of knowing Andre as a friend. He was one of the few Patriots I can name that I either coveted or feared as an Jets opponent. As a person, he is one of the more soft-spoken and charitable people you'll find. He also has a pretty flippin' good sense of humor.

I hope that THIS year, Ron Borges can be more persuasive with his Hall of Fame presentation, because I would like nothing more than to see Tip inducted.*

*Well, with the possible exception of Joe Klecko.

Recent Patriot players such as Vinatieri, McGinest, Law, and Dillon get HOF "bonus points" they don't deserve because they played for New England.

Players like Morgan, Tippett, and Raymond Clayborn, get unfairly penalized because they played for New England. The Patriots have probably won more games in the last 6 years than they won during those guys' entire careers.

No need to read any more. This sums it up nicely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back