PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Thursday Night Football-Browns At Bengals

I didn't watch the game and I'm probably late on noticing this but did someone see Marvin Lewis get tackled by one of his own players?

No they don't. I know of several eyes that agree as does DVOA. The measurements where Cleveland is ranked favorably are those that don't take their schedule into consideration.

DVOA - just like defensive passer rating is helpful- but not an absolute in understanding how good a pass defense is.

If we used DVOA as an absolute then the Pats are in the same ballpark at CLE.

DVOA - just like defensive passer rating is helpful- but not an absolute in understanding how good a pass defense is.

If we used DVOA as an absolute then the Pats are in the same ballpark at CLE.

Context. NE was lousy for the first four weeks of the season, something DVOA rightfully captures but we can weigh the predictive value for ourselves.

Cleveland, on the other hand, has no such lull. The only factor that really needs to be considered is the schedule, and that is right in DVOA's wheelhouse while being completely ignored by standard stats.

I should add that Cleveland's DVOA - particularly their pass defense - will probably jump up quite a bit next week. That was an exceptional performance against Cincy. But I doubt they'll be higher than 10th or so, and I also have my doubts as to how much Cleveland will carry forward. Indy's dominance over Cincy didn't mean much against Pitt the following week.

The Browns are actually pretty lousy on defense this year. Other than shutting down a struggling Pitt team, last night was their first excellent performance of the season.

If you're attempting to question my comment that they've had a "capable defense" in the past, and were missing the main component of a viable starting QB, I would say that you're nitpicking a pretty simple and innocuous comment.....

The stats say that they're giving up few pts this season. In 2011, they had the FIFTH ranked defense overall in pts allowed. The year before they were ranked #13. That's a solid enough sample size for me.

Their main problem (aside from front office/mgmt issues) was not having any kind of viable QB play, which has been their main problem for many years now. Hoyer's 9-3 starting record allowed them to compete through the first 6-7 games last year until he became hurt, then picked up right where he left off this season too.

Last edited:
I also have my doubts as to how much Cleveland will carry forward. Indy's dominance over Cincy didn't mean much against Pitt the following week.

CLE probably won't make the playoffs, but the fact that they'll likely be a WC contender until the end is an enormous turnaround from what's regularly looked at as worst franchise in the entire league---and that's the entire point.

They should hover around 9-7 or so, for sure. Pretty big turnaround.

I expect Hoyer to stay in 2015 and possibly beyond.

If you're attempting to question my comment that they've had a "capable defense" in the past, and were missing the main component of a viable starting QB, I would say that you're nitpicking a pretty simple and innocuous comment.....

The stats say that they're giving up few pts this season. In 2011, they had the FIFTH ranked defense overall in pts allowed. The year before they were ranked #13. That's a solid enough sample size for me.

Their main problem (aside from front office/mgmt issues) was not having any kind of viable QB play, which has been their main problem for many years now. Hoyer's 9-3 starting record allowed them to compete through the first 6-7 games last year until he became hurt, then picked up right where he left off this season too.

Fair enough, you are probably right. :)

As long as the Browns don't really screw up & let FA Hoyer walk & get signed by the Jets, I'm good
The Jets would never sign him. He isn't flashy enough for them.

I didn't watch the game and I'm probably late on noticing this but did someone see Marvin Lewis get tackled by one of his own players?
It looked more like Welker's takeout of Talib in last years playoffs really.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back