PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Thursday morning and who is going #1??

CanadianPat'sFan

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
You usually hear something by now about who is at least in negotiation for the number one pick but it has been some quiet. I heard this late on the NFL network about Stafford in negotiations but nothing solid yet.

NFL.com Blogs Blog Archive Lions in final negotiations with QB Stafford

I have also heard that Aaron Curry said that he would take less money to be the number one pick to go to Detroit and help that franchise. Smart move considering that some people are talking of him moving out of the top ten:eek: now that would be a pay cut from the number one pick even if he said he would sign less then Long last year:)

I still think that an OT will end up going first overall but Stafford is a close second.

I really would not be surprised to see Curry at #1. The offense was very injured last year for the lions, which contributed to several of the 16 losses. Think about what the texans did. Everyone thought they would take bush, they needed a RB, and they took the best player available.

I really don't care who goes #1........

According to Steve Wyche on NFLN there is a deal in place for Curry as leverage and a fallback, but they are still negotiating with Stafford's agent Tom Condon. He probably wants $45M guaranteed based on what the bust out in Oakland got two years ago as a #1 QB. Detroit is likely trying to leverage them into agreeing to 5% more than Long got last year. Their leverage is if they pass on Stafford he could drop like a rock.

They'll take Stafford because while Millen is gone they're still Detroit.

If Tom Condon doesn't get Stafford signed with the Lions, he should be fired immediately. I would love to see Condon play hardball, the Lions sign Smith or Curry, Sanchez becoming the first QB off the board, and Stafford the second, at about #10, and Stafford firing him before signing his contract with the 49ers.

If Tom Condon doesn't get Stafford signed with the Lions, he should be fired immediately. I would love to see Condon play hardball, the Lions sign Smith or Curry, Sanchez becoming the first QB off the board, and Stafford the second, at about #10, and Stafford firing him before signing his contract with the 49ers.
:singing: :singing:

You usually hear something by now about who is at least in negotiation for the number one pick but it has been some quiet. I heard this late on the NFL network about Stafford in negotiations but nothing solid yet.

NFL.com Blogs Blog Archive Lions in final negotiations with QB Stafford

I have also heard that Aaron Curry said that he would take less money to be the number one pick to go to Detroit and help that franchise. Smart move considering that some people are talking of him moving out of the top ten:eek: now that would be a pay cut from the number one pick even if he said he would sign less then Long last year:)

I still think that an OT will end up going first overall but Stafford is a close second.

I reported yesterday that there's a report out that Detroit wants to sign Stafford but has come to a contract agreement with Aaron Curry as a negotiating ploy. They've given Stafford and Condon a Friday deadline to get a deal done or they will sign Curry. Condon also represents Jason Smith, so there wasn't going to be any leverage opportunity there. If Stafford doesn't go #1 he stands to lose a boatload of money, so he needs to come to terms with the Lions.

Source: Lions have Aaron Curry in fold if Matthew Stafford doesn't sign soon - Detroit Lions: News, Blogs, Photos, Audio, Schedule & Stats - MLive.com

Maybe the Lions SHOULD just pass on the pick! lol

Per the Washington Post, the Redskins are still in the hunt to trade up for Mark Sanchez:

The National Football Post | ‘Skins Still Looking To Trade Up

One scenario has the Skins trading #13, 80 and a 2010 1st round pick to KC/Seattle/Cleveland to move up and take Sanchez, and then trading Jason Campbell to the Jets in order to acquire some more picks.

Cleveland is apparently also interested in Sanchez at #5:

USC quarterback Mark Sanchez part of Cleveland Browns' draft mystery - cleveland.com

I reported yesterday that there's a report out that Detroit wants to sign Stafford but has come to a contract agreement with Aaron Curry as a negotiating ploy. They've given Stafford and Condon a Friday deadline to get a deal done or they will sign Curry. Condon also represents Jason Smith, so there wasn't going to be any leverage opportunity there. If Stafford doesn't go #1 he stands to lose a boatload of money, so he needs to come to terms with the Lions.

The latest is that Condon is now trying to negotiate with other teams, to see if they'll pay Stafford more than the Lions are offering. Of course, this is tampering if any team discusses this with him. Of course, the league doesn't do much about tampering.

The latest is that Condon is now trying to negotiate with other teams, to see if they'll pay Stafford more than the Lions are offering. Of course, this is tampering if any team discusses this with him. Of course, the league doesn't do much about tampering.

Unless St. Louis changed its position and went QB at #2, I can't see how Stafford would make more money further down than he would at #1. I wonder how low-ball the Lions offer actually is? It''s certainly not the $80M with $40M guaranteed that's being rumored.

Unless St. Louis changed its position and went QB at #2, I can't see how Stafford would make more money further down than he would at #1. I wonder how low-ball the Lions offer actually is? It''s certainly not the $80M with $40M guaranteed that's being rumored.

Ryan at #3 got paid more than both Longs last year.

Stafford should definitely not accept a lowball offer from Detroit. He should get Ryan type numbers if he is the 1st QB at #3 or #4 or even #5.

His danger is that Sanchez goes before and he slips.

And just BTW, why would he WANT to go to Detroit if they don't want to pay. He might be WILLING to take a little bit less from Washington, Seattle, Denver or Cleveland.

Here's Peter King on the subject:

Matthew Stafford, Aaron Curry and more NFL draft rumors - Peter King - SI.com

We won't know about the game of chicken at the top of the draft until at least late today. Eventually we'll know if Stafford takes a deal from Detroit -- and if the Lions are serious about taking Curry with the first overall pick if there's a huge gap in negotiations with Stafford.

This is what I know about the Curry/Stafford maneuvering: Curry would sign for significantly less than Stafford at No. 1. I believe Curry would take Jake Long's deal with Miami (five years, $50 million, with $7.5 million in possible escalators, and $30 million guaranteed). Stafford would want at least $40 million guaranteed on a six-year deal, or $36 million on a five-year deal. I believe the Lions want Stafford. They have to decide if they want to pay 15 or 20 percent more for him at No. 1.

Doing the deal for Stafford makes too much sense for both the Lions and the Georgia quarterback. I get the strong feeling Detroit coach Jim Schwartz favors Stafford for the pick, and how do you think the Ford family would feel if, in position to get one of two possible franchise quarterbacks, the Lions choose a middle linebacker who's not going to be a pass-rusher? On the flip side, Stafford faces a possible precipitous fall if he doesn't go No. 1. I know of two teams in the top 10 who have Mark Sanchez graded ahead of Stafford. If he doesn't go No. 1, where will Stafford go? Ten? Or (gulp) 17 or 19? I'd be very surprised if Stafford isn't Detroit's choice.

Part of me hopes that Detroit takes Curry #1. If Stafford falls to around 15, Detroit trades up from 20 using #65 to take Stafford ahead of the Jets. Then they take a tackle at 33. Stafford would get a fraction of the money that he would get at #1.

Stafford should definitely not accept a lowball offer from Detroit. He should get Ryan type numbers if he is the 1st QB at #3 or #4 or even #5.

His danger is that Sanchez goes before and he slips.

And just BTW, why would he WANT to go to Detroit if they don't want to pay. He might be WILLING to take a little bit less from Washington, Seattle, Denver or Cleveland.

Problem is none of those teams are interested in him. If he falls it's likely out of the top ten. He's not getting Jake Long money if he drops that far. Might land in what appears to be a better situation career wise, but look at what's happened to Quinn... Condon had him hold out for what in the end turned out to be an incentive and escalator laden deal he had no shot at achieving in. And now a new chubby sherriff is in town and he doesn't like him, or anyone for that matter...

Would certainly make for tremendous green room theater...:popcorn:

I suspect that there are few rumors regarding wanting Stafford because everyone has presumed that he is not available.

The open question is how many teams are willing to go how high for Stafford, for Sanchez and for Freeman. Given the fact that so many teams are interested in a franchise QB, why should Detroit rate him 10 or more spots ahead of everyone else and pay him huge money? I expect three QB's to be drafted in the top 12. If Stafford is the worst of the three he just doesn't deserve the money. And BTW, if I were Detroit I'd be talking to Sanchez now that I have a deal with Curry.

BTW, if this is all true, Detroit should trade down with Seattle or Cleveland who should be willing to give a #2 to get their choice of QB rather than risk that someone else would trade with Detroit or Kansas City.

Problem is none of those teams are interested in him. If he falls it's likely out of the top ten. He's not getting Jake Long money if he drops that far. Might land in what appears to be a better situation career wise, but look at what's happened to Quinn... Condon had him hold out for what in the end turned out to be an incentive and escalator laden deal he had no shot at achieving in. And now a new chubby sherriff is in town and he doesn't like him, or anyone for that matter...

Would certainly make for tremendous green room theater...:popcorn:

I suspect that there are few rumors regarding wanting Stafford because everyone has presumed that he is not available.

The open question is how many teams are willing to go how high for Stafford, for Sanchez and for Freeman. Given the fact that so many teams are interested in a franchise QB, why should Detroit rate him 10 or more spots ahead of everyone else and pay him huge money? I expect three QB's to be drafted in the top 12. If Stafford is the worst of the three he just doesn't deserve the money. And BTW, if I were Detroit I'd be talking to Sanchez now that I have a deal with Curry.

The real question is how many teams see Stafford, Sanchez, and Freeman as Franchise Quarterbacks, and how many see them as the best bets in a weak QB class.

I don't think Freeman goes in the first.

Per the Washington Post, the Redskins are still in the hunt to trade up for Mark Sanchez:

The National Football Post | ‘Skins Still Looking To Trade Up

One scenario has the Skins trading #13, 80 and a 2010 1st round pick to KC/Seattle/Cleveland to move up and take Sanchez, and then trading Jason Campbell to the Jets in order to acquire some more picks.

Cleveland is apparently also interested in Sanchez at #5:

USC quarterback Mark Sanchez part of Cleveland Browns' draft mystery - cleveland.com

Whoever can trade up and grab Sanchez, then dumps the incumbant to the Jets. It kind of makes the Jets sound like a recycle bin.

Maybe the Jets should call Vinny Testaverta and try to convince him to come back for another go around.

The real question is how many teams see Stafford, Sanchez, and Freeman as Franchise Quarterbacks, and how many see them as the best bets in a weak QB class.

I don't think Freeman goes in the first.

I struggle to see Stafford or Freeman as franchise QB's. Stafford has a cannon for an arm, but he shows little skill reading defenses and less skill finding the hot receiver on blitzes.

Florida and Alabama tooled Stafford by changing up coverages and making all his presnap reads null.

I don't get Freeman as a first rounder at all. But given the right circumstance, ie: Tenn., he could thrive with a team that has a strong running game.

I have not seen enough of Sanchez to get a handle on him, but he seemed to to a decent job on a team with little star power at WR and TE.

Source: Lions have Aaron Curry in fold if Matthew Stafford doesn't sign soon - Detroit Lions: News, Blogs, Photos, Audio, Schedule & Stats - MLive.com

I really hope Detriot takes Curry. I think this will cuase a cascade of moves and maybe allow us to move up for Tyson Jackson.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back