PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Thoughts & Observations, and Questions for this Wise Board

Status
Not open for further replies.
Moreland was on the roster for 9 games, playing in 7 and starting in 2.

What your "point was" and what you said are two different things. You said they won SBs with Moreland in there. And they didn't. He wasn't on the roster at that time. He'd been cut.

I make every effort to say exactly what I mean. No where did I imply or suggest that Mayo was a force. What I noticed was that the Jets tended to run at his side, but pass to the side that Spikes was on, though there was one play where Mayo was the one in coverage.

Just because we're discussing yesterday's game doesn't negate the fact that the Pats defense is young and they are still learning how to properly execute the system. Still learning the ideas that they all have to work as a team and what happens when they fail to do so.

Since you make every effort to say exactly what you mean, you should know that saying "Not sure what game you watched, but Mayo and Spikes were both other there" suggests a strong game by both. (I assume you meant "out there" and not "other there.")

And the nit you picked about Moreland misses what was the obvious point of referencing him.

Observations from the game

Moss has lost a step and can’t get by defenders
We have no running game hit and will not have one until we get a good running back and Taylor is not a good running back
and we still can't get any pressure on the QB
It’s going to be a long season, doubt we make the playoffs.

They sacked Sanchez three times. QB pressure was just fine in the first half. In the second half they were completely gassed because the Offense could not convert a third down to save their lives....plus three turn overs.

Last edited:
7 pm last night I was ready to give up on the Pats season. Given some time and a fair bit of Glenmorangie, I've gotten a bit of perspective. There are still some serious issues. I thought Darius Butler had a pretty bad game. Unlike some on this board, I'm not ready to cut him from the team just yet. Those penalties were pretty soft, and it's not like he was getting burned. He at least was there to make the play most of the time.

The issues with the ILBs aren't that bad. Mayo was getting there, but Greene was running pretty hard inside and just getting that extra yard or two after contact. Spikes showed up as much as I would expect a rookie in his first road game to.

The second half adjustment problems... Really, I think it was more on Brady than any playcalling problems. They should have gone in to the locker room with at least 17, and he should have spread the ball around more in the second half, plain and simple. The playcalling adjustments weren't great, but if they'd just executed there wouldn't have been a NEED for adjustments. The defense wouldn't have given up those second half touchdowns without Brady throwing picks to Moss either.

The Pats and Jets split. That's just how it works. I didn't get overly amped last week, I'm not going to get overly down this week.

IMO we looked pretty solid as a team last week, yesterday. 2nd half, we were invisible.

No, last week was the same thing, half-wise.

2nd half against the Bengals (after the opening KO TD by Tate): 21-7 Bengals.

No, last week was the same thing, half-wise.

2nd half against the Bengals (after the opening KO TD by Tate): 21-7 Bengals.

Your right. We should have been able to hold them to the 7 points.

Between the 20's, BB's D lays off with cushion and eventually opponents just decide to fire away...with success. The theory that the QB will eventually make a mistake hasn't worked over the last few years. BB's preference for dwarf DBs because than can quickly turn on the ball has also become obsolete. Giant WRs just use size to gain position, especially in the corners. Constant PI calls show they are helpless vs the big WR. I just wonder why RBs are allowed to release out of the backfield un covered, far too often. This D doesn't work.

Between the 20's, BB's D lays off with cushion and eventually opponents just decide to fire away...with success. The theory that the QB will eventually make a mistake hasn't worked over the last few years. BB's preference for dwarf DBs because than can quickly turn on the ball has also become obsolete. Giant WRs just use size to gain position, especially in the corners. Constant PI calls show they are helpless vs the big WR. I just wonder why RBs are allowed to release out of the backfield un covered, far too often. This D doesn't work.

It's incredibly frustrating, and it's beyond old. How about this: anybody else here thrilled that the Jets ran the ball on that 3rd and 12 towards the end of the second half? Because I'm sure they would have converted if they threw it.

Mayo was pretty solid last week...this week he was invisible. Confused...

Same could be said of Chung.

Someone also mentioned this yesterday that when the Jets gashed us for those two big LT runs, Vince shot up the backfield like he was one gapping it and left a hole for LT to run through. What the hell was that? It's one thing if a rookie does it and another for a respected vet and leader to do it.

Here's a thought: With Brady and Moss being buddies, is it possible that Brady's just forcing passes his way so he could set him up for a big contract?

Vince pushed upfield and got turned out on two big runs. (It hasn't been mentioned much but there were WAY too many 10+yard runs.) Vince looked like he belonged in the middle yesterday.

As far as Brady and Moss's friendship, it's silly to think Brady is helping him out. I think he's more professional than that. I do thnk, however, that Brady's judgment may be clouded by the friendship and thus he doesn't recognize that Moss's formerly outstanding ability to bring down the jump ball has all but abandoned him.

Same could be said of Chung.

Vince pushed upfield and got turned out on two big runs. (It hasn't been mentioned much but there were WAY too many 10+yard runs.) Vince looked like he belonged in the middle yesterday.

As far as Brady and Moss's friendship, it's silly to think Brady is helping him out. I think he's more professional than that. I do thnk, however, that Brady's judgment may be clouded by the friendship and thus he doesn't recognize that Moss's formerly outstanding ability to bring down the jump ball has all but abandoned him.

On Wilfork, I think (just speculation) that he may be taking himself out of his game a bit because he feels the burden of being the top guy in terms of seniority/salary. But still, he's played well, no?

Agree on Brady, at least as far as I see NO way he's trying to "help" Moss re contract. And Moss certainly helps to stretch the field. But damn, he's got to stop being so locked in on him. That's what killed the offense last year.

We drafted a linebacker very high in Round 1 and for some reason, the man is just not making any plays and can't seem to shed guards. Mayo has been pretty mediocre for a while now.

Amen Brother! Mayo is NOT the guy. Is he JAG!

He makes no big plays, only tackles 4 yards plus downfield. I still do not understand why BB drafted him or why he plays him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back