PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

This is a must-read story on Josh McDaniels

Status
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dealing with a WR who was already pissed at the organization for reasons that had nothing at all to do with McDaniels, and who was willing to do whatever it took to get out of Denver

McDaniels wasn't perfect, or anything near that. But he had almost no chance in hell of succeeding in that place.

I read an interview recently with Marshall. He said he really regretted how immature he was in his younger days, and that he absolutely was at fault with how he acted in Denver. I'll have to track it down again, but I was surprised at how much he seems to have grown up, since he took responsibility for his actions in previous stops and admitted that he had a poor attitude and wasn't willing to put in the work in his younger days. Surprising mea culpa, but it did shed some light on situation McDaniels inherited in Denver.

I read an interview recently with Marshall. He said he really regretted how immature he was in his younger days, and that he absolutely was at fault with how he acted in Denver. I'll have to track it down again, but I was surprised at how much he seems to have grown up, since he took responsibility for his actions in previous stops and admitted that he had a poor attitude and wasn't willing to put in the work in his younger days. Surprising mea culpa, but it did shed some light on situation McDaniels inherited in Denver.
Plus he either had not been diagnosed with BPD or chose not to manage his condition.

MMQB podcast has him on it...

Peter King, The MMQB Podcast by Sports Illustrated on iTunes

Todd Haley was another coach who was not ready to be a HC.

At least he was man enough to admit he made a mistake.

You have to admire a person who admits that they were wr... wr... wr... wrong.

Situations like the Haley one are why handshakes were not part of the NFL experience at the end of games back in "the day."

It's interesting reading through the piece and being able to connect with it because as a person, you understand the want to run your own ship when you're not ready, even if you think you are. Successful ones are able to learn from their mistakes and grow, which McDaniels seems to have done. This season, McDaniels has delivered the best coaching performance of his career this season. I hope he sticks around for a few more.

I remember early'ish in my career, I tried to be just like my boss, who I admire tremendously. A very nice, endearing guy that you love even while he's firing you. And I failed pretty well at it. When I finally learned how to be me, very honest and straightforward, and a little less jerky than my inclination, I did much better.

And this will sound ridiculous but I learned that from BB. When he was in Cleveland, he was trying to be Parcells, and that was a disaster. And Mangini and McDaniels were trying to be BB, and the same result. And then he said that in as many words: be yourself.

Somehow, Being your own jerk can work well if you're smart and super dedicated.

Todd Haley was another coach who was not ready to be a HC.

At least he was man enough to admit he made a mistake.
Are you saying it was a mistake to trade Jay Cutler? Exactly what has he done that would make you think trading him was a bad move?
Brandon Marshall? He has only worn out his welcome in 2 other places, now working on a 3rd, and has yet to set foot on a playoff football field.
I don't think most people are saying that Josh made mistakes in getting rid of Cutler and Marshall. Clearly they had their troubles AFTER they left Denver, though Marshall seems to be getting it now at the end of his career.

But based on my reading of the article, McDaniel did an awful job in a lot of areas that are of critical importance to running a good football operation. Especially things like how he treated his players, coaches, and other team employees. Clearly he was NOT ready to be a HC, especially a HC who had BB-like power in running the football operations.

Clearly he recognizes where it went wrong. His father gave him great advise, He would likely do a MUCH better job, if he gets another chance. But as several have pointed out, he STILL might not have been a success in Denver, given all the build in issues that were there before he got there, like ownership stability, a QB he can work with, etc.

This is why I wonder how quickly he will move on to the first job that opens up for him. Not only does he have a much better idea on how to build a team and how to value everyone; he ALSO has a much better idea on what to look for about WHERE he is going. So I'm not taking it on face value that Josh is going to be gone after this season. It could happen, but it just as easily could not. He might just wait for BB to retire

I don't think most people are saying that Josh made mistakes in getting rid of Cutler and Marshall. Clearly they had their troubles AFTER they left Denver, though Marshall seems to be getting it now at the end of his career.

But based on my reading of the article, McDaniel did an awful job in a lot of areas that are of critical importance to running a good football operation. Especially things like how he treated his players, coaches, and other team employees. Clearly he was NOT ready to be a HC, especially a HC who had BB-like power in running the football operations.

Clearly he recognizes where it went wrong. His father gave him great advise, He would likely do a MUCH better job, if he gets another chance. But as several have pointed out, he STILL might not have been a success in Denver, given all the build in issues that were there before he got there, like ownership stability, a QB he can work with, etc.

This is why I wonder how quickly he will move on to the first job that opens up for him. Not only does he have a much better idea on how to build a team and how to value everyone; he ALSO has a much better idea on what to look for about WHERE he is going. So I'm not taking it on face value that Josh is going to be gone after this season. It could happen, but it just as easily could not. He might just wait for BB to retire
This was a posterity's sake piece. The Josh PR machine is in full swing.

I remember early'ish in my career, I tried to be just like my boss, who I admire tremendously. A very nice, endearing guy that you love even while he's firing you. And I failed pretty well at it. When I finally learned how to be me, very honest and straightforward, and a little less jerky than my inclination, I did much better.

And this will sound ridiculous but I learned that from BB. When he was in Cleveland, he was trying to be Parcells, and that was a disaster. And Mangini and McDaniels were trying to be BB, and the same result. And then he said that in as many words: be yourself.

I have a friend who tells the following story. Early in his career he got a big promotion and his mentor called him into his office to congratulate him and said "I've got one simple piece of advice for you now: don't be an a**hole."

BB gave Josh a lot of mentoring before he applied for the Denver job -- he even prepared a folder for him on being a Head Coach -- but he seemed to miss that one out.

I know it sounds cliché but I teach people you are what you are. Instead of trying to be someone else, through learning and growth, be the best version of yourself.

Maturity is certainly a part of it, but its also because he had a mental disorder that was never diagnosed.. he finally got it diagnosed later in his career and was treated for it in the sense of learning how to manage it, which also plays a huge role in how he behaves and responds to things now

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes