PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

This and That (preseason game 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeus

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
1. First half offense featured an impressive running game. Woodhead looked great - shifty and elusive as ever. Sometimes I worry that BJGE is an average RB on a very good team but he ran hard last night. Might we see NE try to be more physical by putting greater emphasis on the running game? I really liked the fourth TD drive. On the previous NE possession, the Bucs actually showed a pulse, with a fair amount of blitzing pressure on Brady. The Patriots' response was to run the ball down the Bucs throats, with only one pass on the 60 yard TD drive, that coming after the OH penalty on Koppen negated a BJGE TD and moved the ball back to the 15.

2. When the halftime score is Men 28 Boys 0, you'd think TB was having a big night. But there really wasn't all that much production from the passing game. The two TD passes both came against laughably inept pass coverage. Not a good night for the wideouts and Brady himself would say he wasn't especially sharp. They did look deep a couple of times but Brady had to settle for check downs. I'm not convinced there's a legitimate deep threat on the team - this may well save Brandon Tate unless Price can get deep and stay healthy.

3. Ochocinco is struggling to pick up the offense but I think he will get there. The guy is still an incredible physical specimen who runs crisp, precise routes and can explode in and out of his breaks. He should be made for this offense if he can figure it out. I'm rooting for him because it's pretty clear that he loves to play football and wants so badly to do well here.

4. Andre Carter reminds me a bit of Roman Phifer in this respect. He's a guy who has played pretty well for a number of years. He's been very durable, in no small part because he has kept himself in phenomenal shape. He carries himself like a leader and I believe he will be quickly respected in the locker room. If I were Jermaine Cunningham, I'd attach myself to Carter's hip so that I could learn what it takes to succeed in the NFL.

5. I'm having a hard time finding a comparable player to Stevan Ridley. Some backs find holes; Ridley finds creases. He's uncannily elusive in tight spaces, with a quick hop or wiggle allowing him to consistently gain an extra yard or three. One cautionary note - he didn't look particularly receptive to Ivans Fears' comments after the fumble. Here's hoping that a veteran (Faulk?) reads him the riot act because these coaches will make him a better player if he'll listen to them.

6. Cut down dates: August 30 to 75 players, September 3 to 53. There's going to be a lot of bodies out there and a lot of player movement at cutdown time. Belichick's going to keep the 53 best regardless draft position and contracts, so be prepared for some surprises.

7. I know that the Krafts are great owners but do Don Criqui and Randy Cross have to remind us 17 times per quarter? Please, make it stop ...

8. Has BB ever looked more relaxed on the sideline than he did last night? He was positively serene. I can imagine that he's thinking - I've got all of the pieces here, I just need to figure out how to fit them together.

9. Usually, I'd worry that things going too well in a preseason game would result in some complacency. But there is so much competition for spots virtually everywhere on this roster. The smart players are thinking that this team has a chance to be special and I really don't want to be traded or get cut so I know that I need to work my butt off .

10. Patriots add Hayensworth, Ochocinco, Carter, Ellis, Anderson and the usual treasure trove of draft picks to young team that went 14-2 last year. jets add 73 year old Derrick Mason (Fat Rex expects 90-100 receptions) and ex-con Plexiglass coming off a 2 year vacation paid for by the state of NY. Advantage: jets.

Last edited:
Advantage : Jets

Hahahahahahahahahaha

LOL...Oh God....I can't stop

hahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Phew....

Some of Brady's passes may have been off target, and a couple of times he and a receiver were definately on different pages, but I think Brady was more productive than you think. His hard count and pre-snap awareness and command looked downright unreal, and his play action may have gotten even better, which I did not think was possible. As guys start getting on the same page as Brady, you are going to see execution and ball control on a level previously unseen.

2. Price is supposed to be just as fast as Tate. Advantage Price who in the brief flashes at camp and game one seems to be getting it as a Pats WR

4. Carter reminds me of Rosie Colvin before his injury. Spot on regarding Cunningham.

6. Gonna mis some DL binkies after cut down.

7. At least we were spared that obnoxious effete dweeb twit who runs Sam Adams and monopolizes the picture every Pats home game. Like the beer, can't stand the beer maker.

9. BB's philosophy of creating competition at every position is on steroids this pre-season. No complacency. OK, maybe Brady can relax after The Hammer last night executed a perfect Drew Bledsoe like toss right at an opposing player.

Nice post Zeus, good analysis

Anyone notice the NON BLOCK that Ocho didn't throw, I think it was a Woodhead run. Chad had the guy dead to rights and just let him pass and make the tackle @ the 1 yard line, is this what we can expect?

2. Price is supposed to be just as fast as Tate.

I have never heard this, can you post any links that would support this? I was under the impression that Price has good size, decent speed, good hands, is tough and can make catches in traffic, holding onto the ball when getting hit.

I have never heard this, can you post any links that would support this? I was under the impression that Price has good size, decent speed, good hands, is tough and can make catches in traffic, holding onto the ball when getting hit.

I thought I'd read it here from a poster I trusted. Could be my faulty recollection if not so.

OK, maybe Brady can relax after The Hammer last night executed a perfect Drew Bledsoe like toss right at an opposing player

HA ! Good one :D

7. At least we were spared that obnoxious effete dweeb twit who runs Sam Adams and monopolizes the picture every Pats home game. Like the beer, can't stand the beer maker.

I was down close the to field at a preseason game a couple of years ago. He was on the sideline and he was orange. I mean the guy's skin was actually orange like he had overdosed on some Rustoleum Spray Tan-in-a-Can that he bought on sale at CVS. Or maybe he had fallen into a vat of some bizarre seasonal beer that had chemically run amok.

From CBS sportsline on Tate

Agility Tests
Campus: 4.52 in the 40-yard dash … 1.6 10-yard dash … 2.65 20-yard dash … 4.12 20-yard shuttle … 7.25 three-cone drill … 36-inch vertical jump … 9'4" broad jump.

Combine: Did not participate in workouts due to recovery from right ACL surgery.

Price's

Agility Tests
Campus: 4.26 in the 40-yard dash (hand-held) … 4.33 40-yard dash (electronic) … 1.46 10-yard dash … 2.50 20-yard dash … 4.16 20-yard shuttle … 10.91 60-yard shuttle … 6.68 three-cone drill … 35 1/2-inch vertical jump … 10'0" broad jump … Bench pressed 225 pounds 19 times.

NFL Combine Results
40-Yard Dash 4.41
Bench press 16
Vertical jump 37.0

Since Tate didn't run at the combine is hard to compare but Price is fast enough that's for sure.

I was down close the to field at a preseason game a couple of years ago. He was on the sideline and he was orange. I mean the guy's skin was actually orange like he had overdosed on some Rustoleum Spray Tan-in-a-Can that he bought on sale at CVS. Or maybe he had fallen into a vat of some bizarre seasonal beer that had chemically run amok.

I see Koch a lot at beer fests and I don't recall him being tan at all, much less fake tan. I do think he's a total goober though.

From CBS sportsline on Tate

Agility Tests
Campus: 4.52 in the 40-yard dash … 1.6 10-yard dash … 2.65 20-yard dash … 4.12 20-yard shuttle … 7.25 three-cone drill … 36-inch vertical jump … 9'4" broad jump.

Combine: Did not participate in workouts due to recovery from right ACL surgery.

Price's

Agility Tests
Campus: 4.26 in the 40-yard dash (hand-held) … 4.33 40-yard dash (electronic) … 1.46 10-yard dash … 2.50 20-yard dash … 4.16 20-yard shuttle … 10.91 60-yard shuttle … 6.68 three-cone drill … 35 1/2-inch vertical jump … 10'0" broad jump … Bench pressed 225 pounds 19 times.

NFL Combine Results
40-Yard Dash 4.41
Bench press 16
Vertical jump 37.0

Since Tate didn't run at the combine is hard to compare but Price is fast enough that's for sure.

Thanks for the info. I wouldn't put much stock in the campus stats, but judging by the combine numbers he definately has decent speed. Hopefully it translates into stretch the field kind of speed. That would go really well with his size, strenght and going across the middle skills.

Yes, Price is definitely faster than Tate. Price runs a 4.40 forty, while Tate was at 4.52.

Taylor Price*|*Ohio,*WR*:*2010 NFL Draft Scout Player Profile

Brandon Tate*|*North Carolina,*WR*:*2009 NFL Draft Scout Player Profile

Last edited:
No idea why most of you hate on Jim Koch. The guy couldn't be a nicer person. Is he a little goofy? Sure, but that is only because he is always hammered.

No idea why most of you hate on Jim Koch. The guy couldn't be a nicer person. Is he a little goofy? Sure, but that is only because he is always hammered.

The guy is a serious tool plus Harpoon is way better.

Nice post Zeus, good analysis

Anyone notice the NON BLOCK that Ocho didn't throw, I think it was a Woodhead run. Chad had the guy dead to rights and just let him pass and make the tackle @ the 1 yard line, is this what we can expect?

It was Welker and it pissed me off. It would've been an easy TD for Welker had Ocho just stood in the guys way for 1 sec.

Last edited:

Yeah, seriously. If you like beer, Jim Koch is about the most important guy in the country.

Sam Adams pretty much kept the entire micro brew industry alive during the hop shortages a couple years back by selling hops (At their own cost) to the micro breweries.

3. Ochocinco is struggling to pick up the offense but I think he will get there. The guy is still an incredible physical specimen who runs crisp, precise routes and can explode in and out of his breaks. He should be made for this offense if he can figure it out. I'm rooting for him because it's pretty clear that he loves to play football and wants so badly to do well here.

4. Andre Carter reminds me a bit of Roman Phifer in this respect. He's a guy who has played pretty well for a number of years. He's been very durable, in no small part because he has kept himself in phenomenal shape. He carries himself like a leader and I believe he will be quickly respected in the locker room. If I were Jermaine Cunningham, I'd attach myself to Carter's hip so that I could learn what it takes to succeed in the NFL.

Great post, these are the two points I found myself nodding the most while reading.

Thanks for a good kick-off to post-game comments!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back