PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Things I learned last Sunday......

Status
Not open for further replies.
shakadave said:
Add to the list Uncle Gus.

I want Graham re-signed, because he gives us 9 games a year. Never more. But they're good games.

On what channel was Uncle Gus?

Also-a COMPLETE coaching staff means EVERYTHING.

Tuna may still be a great coach, but the laziness and incompetence of his game planning has alot to do with his sub-par coaching staff.

Too bad he doesn't even have ONE of his former assistants available in Dallas.

DisgruntledTunaFan said:
Also-a COMPLETE coaching staff means EVERYTHING.

Tuna may still be a great coach, but the laziness and incompetence of his game planning has alot to do with his sub-par coaching staff.

Too bad he doesn't even have ONE of his former assistants available in Dallas.
Sadly, a game plan relies on a QB who doesn't stand tall and poised with targets painted on his chest and buttocks, firmly grasping the ball and pondering the nature of football while awaiting the inevitable hug from the defensive linemen. We've felt your pain. :(

Box_O_Rocks said:
Sadly, a game plan relies on a QB who doesn't stand tall and poised with targets painted on his chest and buttocks, firmly grasping the ball and pondering the nature of football while awaiting the inevitable hug from the defensive linemen. We've felt your pain. :(

I predicted from the day Tuna reunited with the statue that there would be no happy ending to his career in Dallas. He's done a lot to build that defense and assemble a decent offense around it but the one position the Cowboys remain devoid at is the most important one on the field. Drew sucks the life out of an otherwise competitive team with those mindnumbing mistakes. And if Tuna couldn't turn him around in his prime there was no way the tired and aging version was gonna get enough out of Drew to make it work.

That is why TO was a huge mistake as well. In his dotage and in the era of big contracts with lots of guaranteed money and an NFLPA at the ready to quash any attempts at discipline, Tuna is just overmatched. You can see in his recent PC's that he is about had it with the whole experience. And I think the team is getting ready to quit on him because he doesn't even scare the rank and file players any more. They know there isn't a lot he can do to them (or for them) and this new generation of football players are a lot like there counterparts in society. Having the old man pissed at you doesn't phase them any more.

Tuna was always more of a personality force than anything as a HC, scared the bejesus out of players and staff alike and got them to play and coach like their lives depended on it, and that personality is just diminished with age. The media still gets a kick out of him, but he doesn't have the results to show for it that used to elevate that from comedy to drama.

patsox23 said:
The interference was, in my view, BLATANT, and whether or not Will Allen turned around is, in this case, irrelevant. He hit Gabriel before the ball arrived - PI. Period. I still don't get why ANYONE is arguing this.

AMEN....I don't get this one either...that was a textbook PI call.....and if Saban can't see that with "unbiased" eyes...he shouldn't be coaching......very, very accurate call....and justified.....

RayClay said:
You need to be just slightly older, I remember him toasting Eisenhower with Cocoa Marsh.

"Well, the grass is always greener in the other fellow's yard;
The little row, you have to hoe...oh boy that's hard!
But if we all could wear green glasses now, it wouldn't be so hard,
To see how green that grass is in your own backyard!"

Friendly uncle type, not funny, little kids.

I thought he was "Big Brother Bob Emery", And I remeber that as alittle kid, I learned we had a new President when one day they changed the picture from Truman to Eisenhauer for the toast...

That'll keep the l'il bas**ds for another day!:rocker:

MoLewisrocks said:
I predicted from the day Tuna reunited with the statue that there would be no happy ending to his career in Dallas. He's done a lot to build that defense and assemble a decent offense around it but the one position the Cowboys remain devoid at is the most important one on the field. Drew sucks the life out of an otherwise competitive team with those mindnumbing mistakes. And if Tuna couldn't turn him around in his prime there was no way the tired and aging version was gonna get enough out of Drew to make it work.

Surprisingly here in Big D-one of Tuna's lifelong strengths(the OL) has also been one of his undoings here. We've had like 4 or 5 different starting OLs-NOT a good sign.

And yes-while he's built quite a D here, he's made some bad personnel moves as well. For example, in '04, he was warned to NOT draft Jacob Rogers(RT from USC) b/c of his recurrent injuries and his lazy work ethics. But he went and did so anyways. What happened? Rogers went girly on us last year and decided to have surgury on his knee(when X-rays went negative).

Remember Jumbo Elliot? Yeah-a beast Tackle. However-game is different now-those Ends are primarily speed rushers(no over-sized Dexter Manley's or Richard Dents from decades past). Here in Dallas-his tackles(Flozell Adams and Torrin Tucker) are built like Guards. You saw Darren Howard and Trent Cole have their way against them all afternoon.

Julius Jones may be emerging into a premier back, but he's NO Curtis Martin. Martin(while no power back) was able to at least get those hard-earned short yardage. Jones has had alot of trouble doing just that.

Not that I'm a Bledsoe-apologist-but like I mentioned in a previous post-alot of teams have 50 year old QBs(McNair doesn't have that mobility anymore, FWIW. And Jake Delhomme doesn't either)-but for a coaching genious Tuna is, we're shocked he didn't even bother to build a supporting cast around him. Look at Washington-Gibbs built the kitchen sink around Mark Brunnel.

Tuna was always more of a personality force than anything as a HC, scared the bejesus out of players and staff alike and got them to play and coach like their lives depended on it, and that personality is just diminished with age. The media still gets a kick out of him, but he doesn't have the results to show for it that used to elevate that from comedy to drama.

[/quote]

Yep-one thing to note about the d/f b/w him and Jimmy J-he was no-nonsense and in your face, but Jimmy was at least somewhat easy-going(and gave alot of leverage to his star players).

What's so terrible about 2.4 sacks/game?

One of the great mysteries I have always wondered about when the discussion of Drew Blesoe arrises is... After all this time and film on Drew, would any coach put him on the field with a sub par OL. Even a casual fan, like myself, knows Bledsoe's basic strengths and weaknesses. WHEN HE HAS TIME he is a Pro Bowl calibre QB, with a great arm and good accuracy. When you can put people in his face, is drops to average, and will turn the ball over.

ERGO, if you decide that Drew is your answer at QB, you'd better invest in the best OL you can possibly put together. In Parcell's case he spent money on his defense and skill players and ignored the OL. He is paying the price for that miopic view. Its really surprising.

captain stone said:
On what channel was Uncle Gus?

Man, I can't remember, but there weren't many channels in those days. Was there a channel 9? I think he was out of New Hampshire somehow. He played that game where the balls pop out of the popper and you run around with a tube trying to collect all the ones of your color.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News