PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

There is no way Hanson makes this team!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've always felt that it's a waste of a roster spot for someone who just kicks!!

The only time you need a punter that can really boot the ball is when it's 4th down inside your own 35.

If the ball is past the 35, why not just have the quarterback punt the ball? If you knew this going into training camp, you could have all the quarterbacks practice their punting so they could get some distance, and distance is all you would need since there would be no one back there to field it.

Inside the 35 is where it would get tricky. It's nice to have a guy who can get a good punt off in that area, but I would much rather groom 3 or 4 special teamers to do the punting chores than use up a critical roster spot for a punter. It doesn't seem like it would be that hard to learn, I wonder why no one has ever tried it. Miami will probably try it this year, but I would like to see BB give it a go.
Wes Welker can punt pretty good.

An upgrade at P is not only possible, but preferable. I am sick to death of watching Hanson kick from midfield, straight down the middle of the field...and into the EZ for a touchback. What a waste of field position.

In the Lombardi diner thread it was discussed that this appeared to be a change in coaching strategy this year, rather than a sudden inability on Hanson's part to kick short.

In the Lombardi diner thread it was discussed that this appeared to be a change in coaching strategy this year, rather than a sudden inability on Hanson's part to kick short.

Do you remember what day that was posted, so that I can go back & find it?

Where did you get the stats that say that 60% of Hanson's punts were targeted for inside the 20?

If 20 kicks were downed inside the 20 yard line and 10 were touchbacks, that is at least 30 out of 50 (60%) of his punts targeting inside the 20. In truth, some of the returned punts, and those that went out of bounds could also have been targeting that area, so probably an even GREATER percentage of his kicks were targeting inside the 20.

Is it any wonder that he had the fewest return punts? Like I said, what punter wouldn't want to be punting from around the 50 yard line most of the time?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft