PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Uncle Heatster Post-Long, Post-Allen first round

Status
Not open for further replies.
May I get a ruling from a capologist...where is NYJ's cap now, and how would the move from 6 to 3 impact their current cushion?

Don't know the answer to the first question, but the 6-to-3 move shouldn't do too much damage in 2008--the rookie salary cap only allows them to spend an additional $500K or so the first year.

Pats thru rd 3:
#13: Mayo
#43: Cason
#62: Avril
#69: Zuttah
#94: Okam

Pony...I've been on the tradedown/Mayo/CB/OLB mindset for quite a while now. My call was Mayo + Patrick Lee + Jeremy Thompson, only because I didn't believe the positioning would work out well enough to get Cason and Avril. I'm starting to talk myself into raising expectations. I don't think the Pats want to accumulate picks so they should have enough ammo to trade up and there are teams light on picks (Minnesota at #47, Tampa at #52) that would likely be willing to trade down.

I'll stick with my original picks in the draft contest, but I'm hoping for better.

Pony...I've been on the tradedown/Mayo/CB/OLB mindset for quite a while now. My call was Mayo + Patrick Lee + Jeremy Thompson, only because I didn't believe the positioning would work out well enough to get Cason and Avril. I'm starting to talk myself into raising expectations. I don't think the Pats want to accumulate picks so they should have enough ammo to trade up and there are teams light on picks (Minnesota at #47, Tampa at #52) that would likely be willing to trade down.

I'll stick with my original picks in the draft contest, but I'm hoping for better.

M,
I try not to be overly optimistic in these mocks, so I used Gosselin's 100...

Mayo at 13 (Gosselin ranking 19)
Cason at 43 (Gosselin ranking 45- cutting it close)
Avril at 62 (Gosselin ranking 79)
Zuttah at 69 (Gosselin ranking 89)
Okam at 94 (unranked)

Obviously Cason is a huge wild card. There may be another club smart enough to overlook pedestrian 40 times to draft a savvy pro.

If the trade down is with NO, to #10, in exchange for S Ellis, which is another possibility, that would probably yield pick #78. I would still take Mayo at #10 and then package #69 +#78 to get up to #45 and take Cason if available.

Then select Avril at #62, and see if I could maneuver up for Zuttah from #94 using later rd picks, and hope that Okam or Red Bryant are still available in rd 4.

If Cason is already off the board before picks #44/#45, I would grab Avril early at #45 and take Ch. Jackson at #62.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST