PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Ultimate Belichick Horror Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's the deal with ragging on Slater? Why not make the argument that we should've picked Nicks instead of Shawn Crable? I don't see how spending a fifth on a good special teams player is a bad thing, Belichick obviously values ST more than the common draft sources.

The reason why BB drafts are so full of WTF moments is because he uses different scouting sources that we do. The Combine results are leaked to us, but we don't get the Pats scouting reports. So our slant is different. But, hell, if no one saw Mankins and McCourty coming so much the better, because BB clearly proved his staff to have a good eye for talent.

One thing OP didn't put unto his Horror Draft is a few million trade downs and trade outs! That must certainly be part of the WTF experience Pats fans enjoy each year.

I've spent some time thinking about what a WTF draft looks like, and here's what I'd say would have this board on fire with angry fans.

#17 - with JJ Watt, Prince Amukamura and Ryan Kerrigan all on the board, BB decides to trade down to the mid-20s, plus a 2nd round pick

#25 - Watt, Amukamura and Kerrigan are all gone, now. BB spends his pick on Adrian Clayborn. Pats fans are inconsolable.

#28 - Pats select QB Jake Locker

And so ends Day One, with a DE that no one especially admires, except maybe BB, and a QB that wont see the field for years.

I honestly don't know what i'd do if that was the draft... mostly because of locker... i would be inconsolable after months of anticipation

I honestly don't know what i'd do if that was the draft... mostly because of locker... i would be inconsolable after months of anticipation

seriously... we would have a lot of *****ing and moaning, and calls for BB to quit. Happens every year. Happened last year and the year before too. Happened when BB chose to draft Seymour ahead of el-busterino WR David Terrell.

And, to be fair, we'd have a lot of people doing the "in BB we trust", even though they (deep down) don't understand how you could pass on JJ Watt, etc. etc. I almost feel like I could write all those posts right now.

firebrands: "BB has obviously lost touch... hasnt been the same since Pioli left", etc.
apologists: "BB has always drafted players he likes, and it works out"

I'm preparing myself for a draft like that. Something really shocking. Like RB and RB in the first. Or trading out of both 17 and 28. It's not impossible.

Or how about RB and OG in the first round? That would be fun, to watch this board absolutely erupt.

Every year we all do a million mock drafts and read through all the draft guides -- and yet every year BB manages to make picks that shock almost everybody. How is that possible? How can we still have WTF picks when for years now we've all been expecting the unexpected?

I went back and looked at all of BB's selections with the Pats and picked out some classic WTF picks, then tried to look at this year's draft and predict which players might be picked using that particular logic.

All of us think we can't be surprised again after what's happened in recent years, but we can be -- we're probably just not imagining the right players in the right rounds:

17 JARVIS JENKINS - One classically maddening Belichick trait (not to say that he's always wrong) is to trade up for or aggressively draft someone a good round or two or three above everyone else's projection. The most surprising thing about the Tyson Alualu pick was that it wasn't Belichick making the choice -- that was Jacksonville high on the BB spirit. For "BB overdrafts" think Sebastian Vollmer, Jermaine Cunningham, Terrence Wheatley, and Matt Slater (did BB really think someone else was a threat to pick Slater before round 7?). Even Jerod Mayo and Ty Warren were mocked in the late first/early 2nd; Mankins was mocked quite late as well, although it's subsequently come out that two other teams were after him in that late-1st range. Again, he's not always wrong to draft these players this high, just the opposite -- it's just that comes as a surprise to see these names picked this high.

With these picks you're looking for a good, solid player who's rated in the third-fourth-round range but starts buzzing upward as the draft approaches. Everybody thinks Muhammad Wilkerson is the Ty Warren analog, but watch the pre-draft buzz on Jenkins, another natural 5-technique from a big conference. It may not be 17, but at 28 or 33, Jarvis Jenkins could happen. BB probably wouldn't pick him lower than that, because that would make sense.

28 JAMES CARPENTER - BB has a history of aggressively drafting productive college tackles who are projected to play guard -- think George Bussey, Nick Kaczur, Logan Mankins. The Carpenter pick here fits also the BB tendency to grab a guy at a spot where every mock draft in the world has the Pats picking some other player at the same position, a la the Warren pick (when so many people had us picking William Joseph, Dewayne Robertson, or Jonathan Sullivan). Since so many people are projecting Pouncey, Watkins, or one of the tackles here, Carpenter seems like a classic WTF pick, especially since as a Nick Sabanite he also fits in the "coached in college by a Belichick pal" category of player.

33 QUAN STURDIVANT - In the Patrick Chung mold of a good, productive college player with strikingly average measurables, drafted with a premium pick, seemingly 15-20 spots too high, at a position of relative non-need.

55 RICARDO LOCKETTE - Homage to Bethel Johnson: combine standout nobody else is going to touch before round 5, aggressively chosen in round 2 by New England, which inexplicably trades up five spots to get him.

74 ANTHONY GAITOR - There are a dozen higher-rated corners on the board, all with better measurables, but we must have the short guy with so-so college production (Wheatley) whom you might never have heard of (Ellis Hobbs), isn't a candidate for safety conversion if he proves too slow outside (Asante Samuel), and probably won't give you a lot on special teams (Jonathan Wilhite).

92 ZACH PIANALTO - Because you can never have enough undersized, athletically-limited H-backs with no obvious role in your current offense (think Garrett Mills). Charles Clay is the pick I'm really afraid of, but even Belichick wouldn't take two underpowered, overachieving H-backs from Tulsa -- would he?

152 GREG LLOYD - Let's say this turned into a fifth-round pick; we had to swap the fourth-rounder and give up a future fifth to acquire Ricardo Lockette. Lloyd is the son of an NFL legend who had a really average college career and has no business going before the seventh round, so naturally he goes to the Pats in the fifth; the Matt Slater memorial selection. BB loves legacy picks in the middle rounds (see Klecko, Ruud, Slater).

159 ALEX LOUKAS - The fifth round is usually where the Patriots start picking guys who aren't in any draft guides, don't exist on video anywhere on the internet, etc. A lot of mocks have us going after Mitch Mustain late, but Loukas is the real Matt Cassel memorial pick: a career backup to a college standout (Andrew Luck) with great measurables (he's 6-4 and ran a 4.48 at his pro day). Like Cassell, Loukas was a good enough athlete that the coach switched him to another position briefly to try to get him on the field (in this case, Loukas briefly played safety for Harbaugh). He's also a legacy pick, which Belichick loves; his dad Angelo played for the Patriots.

192 PHILLIP SWANSON - The Corey Hilliard/Mike Elgin/George Bussey/Thomas Welch/Dan Stevenson "Who the f--k is that guy?" pick. For some reason, the Pats love them some totally unknown (and often undersized) offensive linemen late in the draft. You're saying to yourself: "Can picking LeGarrette Blount or Brandon Banks here really have less of a chance of succeeding than picking this guy?"

There are times with the Patriots where you just wish Belichick would let it go for a few hours and just make picks using the "McShay's top 5 available" as a guide for a round or two. The Pats do such a great job of acquiring extra selections that the only way they can really screw things up is to perform significantly worse than the average in terms of the actual selections. In other words, if you married Belichick's unique talent for getting extra picks to merely-average drafting methodology, you'd be way ahead of the game. That's why his outside-the-box thinking is so scary sometimes. Most of the time, it works out great -- but sometimes it doesn't.

Outstanding post in both research & analysis; naturally, I am in complete agreement
with everything in it. More people need to see the truth, though it may hurt their eyes.

Instead of a future WTF moment (too many to admit), allow me to offer a possible making-chicken-salad-out-of-chicken-shyte moment:
There are 3 players whom I want - and who might be available - at 17: Watt, Jordan & Kerrigan. Knowing our luck, all 3 will already be gone. I suggest that Bill try to trade down just 4 or 5 spots. The run on OL will have begun by then; maybe some team will be in love with one of them in particular, and would be willing to give us their 3rd- or 4th-rounder this year for the privelege. There will still be plenty of OL from which to choose, as well as quite possibly Heywood and/or Wilkerson.
I'm not a fan of trading either 28 or 33 for a 2012 1st, unless the sucker is Carolina again.
Because of the uncertaincy of free agency, this draft is Bill's only opportunity to improve the roster for the forseeable future. He needs to acquire as many quality players at OLB, DE & OL as he can, as often as he can. I am also not opposed to a relatively small trade-down (not trade -out) from 33 (not so much from 28) for a 4th this year, nor to a trade-down of our own 2nd or Minny's 3rd for an extra pick this year.

Bill needs to make the absolute most of the draft assets he has, ASAP, while Brady is still upright & interested.

I've got to disagree with OP's premise. BB doesn't deliberately overdraft. He drafts according to a different value chart because the Pats rely on their own scouting service rather than the national scouting services. The Pats ARE AWARE of other teams possible needs because they do run their own mocks where they project other teams selections. But that doesn't affect how they value their own players according to their own 'team specific' rankings.

And the Pats DO TRADE DOWN often to gain value when they believe they can still get their guy a few spots later. This has been well documented over the years, Mayo, McCourty, etc. were acquired after trade downs. The other thing to remember is you don't always get trade down offers so you can't create a trade out of thin air. There has to be demand from other teams as well. Though an interesting read, the point is incorrect. BB doesn't 'overdraft' at least not according to his draft board. And he trys to create extra value when he can if he feels he can still get his guy and move down.

BB also doesn't pick guys we've never heard of to be 'clever' or to 'frustrate' fans. He does it because those are guys his scouts are high on. The fact that the national scouting services overlooked the guy is immaterial but it has the fans following the draft hitting google as they go huh, who's that?

Exactly how i see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back