PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The two "key-est" offensive players...

Status
Not open for further replies.

patsox23

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
for tomorrow night's game, other than #12 obviously, are...

WES WELKER

KYLE BRADY

Wes to be there to pick up the quick, tough, just-get-rid-of-it plays, and snake around for a few key first downs. And Kyle to play a LOT of minutes in helping to stave off Shaun and Shawne. Lots of other plays will play key roles, of course - Maroney and Faulk leap to mind, and Moss just LEAPS - but these two in particular seem to stand out to me.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Oh and before anyone says it, Yes, I agree that the play of the OL may be more KEY than my "key-est" players, which, again yes, makes my thread make no sense. But I think you catch my drift.

Now talk at me.

Last edited:
for tomorrow night's game, other than #12 obviously, are...

WES WELKER

KYLE BRADY

Wes to be there to pick up the quick, tough, just-get-rid-of-it plays, and snake around for a few key first downs. And Kyle to play a LOT of minutes in helping to stave off Shaun and Shawne. Lots of other plays will play key rols, of course - Maroney and Faulk leap to mind, and Moss just LEAPS - but these two in particular seem to stand out to me.

Thoughts?

I agree about Welker. BUT, he has to hold on to the ball. He seems to drop an easy catch here and there (obviously, this is going by a small sample size). He dropped a couple in the preseason and 2 in the game against the jests, one of which stopped a drive. I don't care if he has a 10 yd per catch average - just be the safety valve.

I agree about Welker. BUT, he has to hold on to the ball. He seems to drop an easy catch here and there (obviously, this is going by a small sample size). He dropped a couple in the preseason and 2 in the game against the jests, one of which stopped a drive. I don't care if he has a 10 yd per catch average - just be the safety valve.

It was his first "real" game as a Patriot, and I think he was still stuck in Miami mode (you know, the one where he was their best offensive weapon :p ).

Now that he sees that he doesn't need to carry a large share of the load--just do what BB asks him to do, no more, no less--things should be fine.

It was his first "real" game as a Patriot, and I think he was still stuck in Miami mode (you know, the one where he was their best offensive weapon :p ).

Now that he sees that he doesn't need to carry a large share of the load--just do what BB asks him to do, no more, no less--things should be fine.

I agree. The drops appeared to come when he was looking to turn and run before securing the catch. I trust he will be fine. And, again, it has been a limited sample size, so it's not like we can cite any trend.

Wes Welker had a terrible drop last week that is totally out of character. The idea that we need to worry about his hands AT ALL is silly and wildly unfounded. He doesn't concern me there at all, especially given his drop last week.

I wouldn't worry about our WR corps nor the TE's, we're stacked at both positions. If Welker suffers from the drops again then he will sit and Stallworth and/or Washington will take his PT instead. Meanwhile Moss and Gaffney as the two leading WR's are deadly. David Thomas is a superb blocker and it looks like he's going to play, so that's cover for K. Brady.

The two "key-est" offensive players are Nick Kaczur and Matt Light. If Brady has anywhere near the amount of time he had against the pathetic Jets, then I like our chances.

David Thomas is a superb blocker and it looks like he's going to play, so that's cover for K. Brady.

Um....huh? Thomas improved and became a serviceable blocker last season, but if he were a "superb" blocker, to go along with his obvious (and ACTUAL) skill as a receiver, he would've been a top 20 pick in last year's draft. He is NOT known for his blocking. Like...at ALL.

Um....huh? Thomas improved and became a serviceable blocker last season, but if he were a "superb" blocker, to go along with his obvious (and ACTUAL) skill as a receiver, he would've been a top 20 pick in last year's draft. He is NOT known for his blocking. Like...at ALL.

Because he's not "known for his blocking" doesn't mean he's actually bad at it. In fact he was the one who was doing the majority of the blocking late last season as a rookie. If the coaches didn't have confidence in his blocking skills then Marcellus Rivers would still be a Patriot.

I'm not saying the coaches don't have confidence in him as a blocker. I'm saying he's not a "superb" blocker, which he's not. There's a pretty big gulf of middle ground there. By the way, so we're clear, I'm a huge fan of Dave Thomas, to almost "binky" degree. I'm just saying he's not a great blocker. He's solid. Which is fine, especially given his receiving skills which are indeed superb.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST