PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The state of GDT and postgame thread moderating

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lets put this to bed, how do you feel ian are you publicly funded? Or are you a privately owned entity?
I'm an LLC for tax purposes because I do have to report any earnings for this to the IRS, which given what I earn vs what I pay out for hosting, other costs, I usually owe little, fortunately. My wife and I obviously pay tax on what we make at work, so it's generally not that bad.

I'm aware of some of the issues and we've scaled back some of that moderation at my request. I'm going to lock this because I obviously hear you guys and I'll address it privately, but wanted to at least make people aware that it hasn't fallen on deaf ears.

I will say, for the same people who complain about the moderating, I need you to take advantage of the mute function to ignore anyone who is irritating you - which is the point of that function. People reporting posts to mods or complaining about them obviously contributes to some of what goes on, and I do need some of you to step up and take advantage of controlling who you do/don't want to hear from during the game.

If more people did that, it would solve the problem. I personally don't really like having people kicked out of the thread to begin with, but people doing that would certainly alleviate the issue. So please keep that in mind moving forward.
You are the kindest message board owner that I have ever seen. Most are ruthless.

Thank you 1 minion times over. I could never repay you for the refuge that you've provided me any many others over the last 20 years. I live far away and what you have graciously furnished at no cost to me is like home.

Clearly not you. The rest of us are helping pick up the cost. You know… the public?
We don't need to shame people who don't donate. I didn't even add the cup thing up to the top until recently after a lot of years because I'm not big on soliciting for money. I see a lot of sites with a "tip jar" - but I always felt weird about it.

We don't need to shame people who don't donate. I didn't even add the cup thing up to the top until recently after a lot of years because I'm not big on soliciting for money. I see a lot of sites with a "tip jar" - but I always felt weird about it.
Don’t feel weird. You need money to help run this place. Just keep an open ear to the public that you’re hosting the board for, and you always have.

Did anybody watch the Netflix series? That was one sick dude.
Not yet, but I’ve heard good things. In his case, though, he might be Gacy. I always envision a fat clown whenever I read his posts.

Not yet, but I’ve heard good things. In his case, though, he might be Gacy. I always envision a fat clown whenever I read his posts.
Yeah it's pretty good. Great acting all around.

I'm an LLC for tax purposes because I do have to report any earnings for this to the IRS, which given what I earn vs what I pay out for hosting, other costs, I usually owe little, fortunately. My wife and I obviously pay tax on what we make at work, so it's generally not that bad.
Which makes this a privately owned message board. My point, you can choose to open it up to the public at large or restrict access to everyone but yourself and anything in between. It is privately funded, by your own pocket and people who find value in the discussions and choose to pay something for the service. His definition is that because the "public" or really private individuals contribute for that value, makes it public. It doesn't, you still retain all the rights of a private company to run this place. That's all I have to say about it moving forward

Don’t feel weird. You need money to help run this place. Just keep an open ear to the public that you’re hosting the board for, and you always have.
Meh, it is what it is. It is funny that a lot of people come here and think this place is like a big thing not realizing it's only like this because I've spent 20yrs+ adding one thing here and there to get it to this point. I actually got an email from somebody thinking this was like a big media company without realizing it's just run by some idiot with a laptop and too much free time after work on his hands. :rolleyes:

Which makes this a privately owned message board. My point, you can choose to open it up to the public at large or restrict access to everyone but yourself and anything in between. It is privately funded, by your own pocket and people who find value in the discussions and choose to pay something for the service. His definition is that because the "public" or really private individuals contribute for that value, makes it public. It doesn't, you still retain all the rights of a private company to run this place. That's all I have to say about it moving forward
Yeah, since he said that it’s basically open to the public, you should probably quit. Excellent exchange though. Very high level stuff.

Meh, it is what it is. It is funny that a lot of people come here and think this place is like a big thing not realizing it's only like this because I've spent 20yrs+ adding one thing here and there to get it to this point. I actually got an email from somebody thinking this was like a big media company without realizing it's just run by some idiot with a laptop and too much free time after work on his hands. :rolleyes:
You should feel proud of that IMO. It looks very professional.

About to donate $100. I didn’t realize it cost you that much per month to run this dump.

About to donate $100. I didn’t realize it cost you that much per month to run this dump.

Make it $200 (personal foul for the "dump" comment).

Yeah, I always tell people to not overcomplicate it. It's run by an idiot who lets anyone who wants to talk football a place to register for an account and talk football. Anyone who wants to donate anything has always been something I appreciate, but that's really about it. It's really nothing more than that.

Believe me, people forget that this started as a place in the beginning where it was just me posting a bunch of posts hoping someone would register and respond and I'd get excited if somebody would jump on here. Without everybody, it's just me talking to myself, so the goal has always been to try and make it a place people want to be.

Last edited:
Dude, unnecessary. Again, I was just venting and that wasn't the point. I'm a little tired and I'm in a mood - it isn't anything more than that. ;)

@Ian it only let me donate $50 and now I have to choose between the recurring charges and such. Can I Venmo the other $50?

Yeah, since he said that it’s basically open to the public, you should probably quit. Excellent exchange though. Very high level stuff.
Honestly I think you and others are arguing completely different points.

You are saying it is a space which is open to the public, which is correct. It’s a public board with very little in the way of requirements for access.

Others are using more accounting-based definitions and saying the site is private in the sense that while people donate to it, you can’t see who has donated or how much, and private entities (Ian) control who can participate and what exactly happens without any oversight required, and with no explicit fiduciary duty to the people donating.

Hopefully I’ve represented both sides here adequately and that it helps as far as getting people on the same page.

Make it $200 (personal foul for the "dump" comment).
Again, that wasn't the point of this. It's the relationships that I do this for, not $$. Clearly I went a little overboard.

Honestly I think you and others are arguing completely different points.

You are saying it is a space which is open to the public, which is correct. It’s a public board with very little in the way of requirements for access.

Others are using more accounting-based definitions and saying the site is private in the sense that while people donate to it, you can’t see who has donated or how much, and private entities (Ian) control who can participate and what exactly happens without any oversight required, and with no explicit fiduciary duty to the people donating.

Hopefully I’ve represented both sides here adequately and that it helps as far as getting people on the same page.
I know. I decided to debate the point for the hell of it.

@Ian it only let me donate $50 and now I have to choose between the recurring charges and such. Can I Venmo the other $50?
No, I capped it for that reason. Again, completely unnecessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Back