PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Sanctioned FA 4PM Tracker Thread (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jason La Carfona (sp?) reported that Mario Williams already left Buffalo and will visit with other teams. Will not sign contract tomorrow.

According to Mike Reiss

Patriots Finalizing deal with Matthew Slater to make it official.

I would like:

Brandon Lloyd
Richard Marshall
The Browns' 2nd round pick

...by the time I wake up.

Hoyer won't be going to Cleveland unless Hoyer wants to go to Cleveland. The speculation is based on he grew up in Ohio a Browns fan. The guy tweeting the idea, and that's all it is, is a twenty something internet draft guru who just landed a job writing for bleacher report...

Hoyer would want a contract and assurances that he and not McCoy is the starter. If they're willing to give him that they'd be willing to trade a #2 for the opportunity to. I doubt Bill would trade him for less, and he can't trade him until or unless he signs his tender.

First day of FA hystrionics are nauseating...

Jason La Carfona (sp?) reported that Mario Williams already left Buffalo and will visit with other teams. Will not sign contract tomorrow.

Bills fans must be crying in their chicken wings.

Why can't we have players visit, use us to set the bar, and not sign with us? BB just doesn't get it. Almost 8 hours gone, and no signings. We are doomed.

According to Mike Reiss

Patriots Finalizing deal with Matthew Slater to make it official.

Too bad it doesn't say that they are doing it with "Lloyd"

I would like:

Brandon Lloyd
Richard Marshall
The Browns' 2nd round pick

...by the time I wake up.

I hope you have a lot of Ambien. Because even if the Pats get all that, it won't happen tomorrow.

Why can't we have players visit, use us to set the bar, and not sign with us? BB just doesn't get it. Almost 8 hours gone, and no signings. We are doomed.
Weren't Colvin and AD signed the first night of FA?

Mario saw the Buffalo hotels?
scheme.gif

I'm not impressed with what is out there and what has been taken so far versus the cost. It's the damn cost. Too much for guys in their 30s or a player coming off 16 games injured in two years.

Wallace would be nice but Pittsburgh appears to have enough money to match, unless we go nuts. I agree with others on signing Gaffney and maybe kicking Santana Moss's tires (or not). Garcon has driven the price up on Lloyd as well. So, I think we resign our people and cherry pick some veterans.

We can get a Wallace in the draft ........... while we're at it, let's add another Willie too. I'd rather start locking up people up, like Gronk and Vollmer and draft Nick Perry and Tommy Streeter and Harrison Smith and ... and. Trust the coaching staff to contiue developing talent, as best as possible.

It's crazy out there.

Last edited:
While I'm a little disapointed that we never really had a shot at Super Mario (if the rumors of the Bills money is true), I think we are in pretty good shape. I said in my offseason mock that I thought the 2nd tier guys would be highly overpaid, and with Corland Finnegan getting $10mil a year and Garcon getting $8mil a year, it certainly seems the case. But with the limited cap space this season and the big money being spent early, it seems like there should be some great value later in the offseason. I think there could be some mid/lower end guys like Kendall Langford that could be steals in a few weeks.

The one guy I do think we have to move on pretty fast is Brandon Lloyd. As the final name WR's come off the board, Lloyd's value will continue to rise. Even if he lets us match any offers from other teams, it is still probably going to be higher the longer we wait. In hindsight it probably would have been better to get in straight away and lock him up before any of the other guys came off the board, but I don't think anyone could have predicted how much money would be thrown at WR's so early. Hopefully we can get a deal done in the next day or two, at a reasonable price.

The biggest impact I think the signings so far could have is on the Welker negotiations. I think guys like Garcon getting big money is going to make it a lot more difficult to lock up Welker long term because he will likely be asking for a lot more than Garcon got (and rightfully so). I was hoping he would sign for something like 3yrs $8mil AAV, that doesn't seem likely anymore.

Weren't Colvin and AD signed the first night of FA?

No. Colvin was signed about a week after free agency started. Thomas was signed on the second day of free agency.

Unless Meachem gets stupid money, shouldn't Wayne's deal (3 years 17.5 mill) bring FA WR salaries back down to earth?

While I'm a little disapointed that we never really had a shot at Super Mario (if the rumors of the Bills money is true), I think we are in pretty good shape. I said in my offseason mock that I thought the 2nd tier guys would be highly overpaid, and with Corland Finnegan getting $10mil a year and Garcon getting $8mil a year, it certainly seems the case. But with the limited cap space this season and the big money being spent early, it seems like there should be some great value later in the offseason. I think there could be some mid/lower end guys like Kendall Langford that could be steals in a few weeks.

The one guy I do think we have to move on pretty fast is Brandon Lloyd. As the final name WR's come off the board, Lloyd's value will continue to rise. Even if he lets us match any offers from other teams, it is still probably going to be higher the longer we wait. In hindsight it probably would have been better to get in straight away and lock him up before any of the other guys came off the board, but I don't think anyone could have predicted how much money would be thrown at WR's so early. Hopefully we can get a deal done in the next day or two, at a reasonable price.

The biggest impact I think the signings so far could have is on the Welker negotiations. I think guys like Garcon getting big money is going to make it a lot more difficult to lock up Welker long term because he will likely be asking for a lot more than Garcon got (and rightfully so). I was hoping he would sign for something like 3yrs $8mil AAV, that doesn't seem likely anymore.

And Reggie Wayne got under $6 million a year after Jackson, Garcon, and others signed. I don't think moving faster would have made much a difference. You don't think that all the agents hear about the money being thrown around.

Again, Lloyd is telling the Pats through channels that he is willing to take a value deal to come to the Pats. Either he is just the dumbest negotiator on Earth or playing with Brady and McDaniels truly means more to him than cashing in.

The Pats take this same strategy every year and find plenty of players at the right price.

Unless Meachem gets stupid money, shouldn't Wayne's deal (3 years 17.5 mill) bring FA WR salaries back down to earth?

I don't necessarily think so. Wayne was likely pretty much where we all thought, at almost 6 million per.

I think the signings of guys like Garcon, Jackson, etc have brought up the market for guys like Llyod and Welker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick