PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

the Ref's favor the Steelers? (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah, that bugged me too. Just seems like a dumb rule; with the exception of a personal foul, a holding should probably nullify any subsequent penalty on the defense. As it stands, once that holding flag was thrown, we would actually have been better off just letting him catch it and run it in for a TD.

same here -- doesn't make sense that the later penalty offsets one that would nullify the play (unless the later penalty was a personal foul or something)

Re: Do the Steelers get away with more stuff just because they're the Steelers?

The Steelers DB was going in the right direction, he was behind Price. Price was the one who needed to adjust to the pass not the steelers DB. Ihedigbo pretty much cut the Steelers receiver off. He stopped moving and had better positioning than the Steelers DB. ...

Both Price and the Steelers DB needed to adjust -- I'm almost positive the DB was still moving toward the sidelines. If there's a replay shown again I'll watch it to make sure I'm not mistaken.

Agreed re Ihedigbo -- that's why I don't think the play with Ihedigbo is relevant.

...I don't understand if you are trying to say that its clear that the welker play was a penalty or you think its a subjective call. Most of the time you see a flag on a play where a neck is twisted is because the facemask is used to do that. Polamalu wrapped his arms around Welkers helmet to bring him down. Like I said, at that point Welker is a ball carier and there is no "defenseless receiver" BS. He's essentially a running back on a run play.

I'm saying that it is unclear. I find it hard to believe that a defender is allowed to grab an offensive player's helmet, just not the facemask -- and take him down that way. If that is in fact allowed, it's a pretty bad loophole among all the personal foul rules that exist. (I have never said Welker was a "defenseless receiver.")

Both Price and the Steelers DB needed to adjust -- I'm almost positive the DB was still moving toward the sidelines. If there's a replay shown again I'll watch it to make sure I'm not mistaken.

Agreed re Ihedigbo -- that's why I don't think the play with Ihedigbo is relevant.

I'm saying that it is unclear. I find it hard to believe that a defender is allowed to grab an offensive player's helmet, just not the facemask -- and take him down that way. If that is in fact allowed, it's a pretty bad loophole among all the personal foul rules that exist. (I have never said Welker was a "defenseless receiver.")
Steelers DB was still moving towards the sideline but imagine it this way. Tom Brady overthrew the Steelers DB by about a half step and underthrew Price buy about 2. The point I was trying to make is that on both plays the DB had better positioning to the ball than the WR so even with contact it shouldn't be PI as long as both are playing the ball (which the Steelers DB was doing more so than Ihedigbo.)

ok, Yeah I agree the tackle is dangerous and the NFL should look at things like that as opposed to all of the other BS they've changed recently.

Did anyone notice the terrible nocalls from the refs? Blantant Holding on almost every steelers snap on our d-lineman. The horsecolar tackle on grok. Polamolu tackling welker by the neck. Polomolu swatting the ball at the end right in front of the ref. The pats played a poor game and deserved to lose. But they seemed to get a lot of help. (Sorry in advance for my poor spelling.)

I loathe the premise. There are good calls, there are bad calls...
To blame officiating? Leave that to JestFan. They're the best at it.

yeah, that bugged me too. Just seems like a dumb rule; with the exception of a personal foul, a holding should probably nullify any subsequent penalty on the defense. As it stands, once that holding flag was thrown, we would actually have been better off just letting him catch it and run it in for a TD.

I especially love the rule where a QB can throw the ball, then get "roughed" and it negates an interception. Like the late hit had any effect on where the ball was thrown.

Steelers DB was still moving towards the sideline but imagine it this way. Tom Brady overthrew the Steelers DB by about a half step and underthrew Price buy about 2. The point I was trying to make is that on both plays the DB had better positioning to the ball than the WR so even with contact it shouldn't be PI as long as both are playing the ball (which the Steelers DB was doing more so than Ihedigbo.)

ok, Yeah I agree the tackle is dangerous and the NFL should look at things like that as opposed to all of the other BS they've changed recently.

The problem on the play w/the Steelers DB -- again, with the caveat that it's what I remember (haven't seen a replay yet) -- is that while he had better position and was trying to play the ball, I believe he was still going in the wrong direction (i.e., away from the ball, not back towards the underthrow).

If the DB going in the wrong direction and there is contact, the call usually is going to be PI against the DB (as it probably has to be, though it sucks for the offense to be rewarded for a bad pass and good defense).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Back