PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

the Ref's favor the Steelers? (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: OK the Patriots lost; I accept that, but did anyone notice the terrible non-calls

The Pats struggle when they play good physical teams on the road when they get down. Games the ref swallow the whistle on the road we are in trouble.

They were playing tight man holding all game. It's a case of do it all the time and the refs stop calling it.

Very similar to the Jets game in New york last year.

People need to stop the panic.
No one goes undefeated in the NFL. The refs will keep it close enough their will be games lost everywhere.

Superbowl is won by who budgets into the playoffs.

That and luck. Teams are to good, and to even.

Re: Do the Steelers get away with more stuff just because they're the Steelers?

You want some cheese with that whine? The ball to price was behind and Price was the one that had to adjust not the DB. Since when is tackling high and not grabbing the facemask a penalty? They missed the Polamalu punch but its not reviewable so there isn't anything they could do about it. The only terrible call was Gronks TD.

I don't know. What I do know is that they out coached us and out played us.

I don't know. What I do know is that they out coached us and out played us.

this fact is undeniable.

is it fixable ?

definitely !

Teams that establish themselves as a tough, physical team will get away with more physicality than the ones that don't (unfortunately, like us of late). We can begrudge the Steelers for it - but once upon a time that might've been us.

Re: OK the Patriots lost; I accept that, but did anyone notice the terrible non-calls

I thought that they were overly generous on the Faulk spot. At the very least he definitely didn't cross the plane.

Overly generous? How so?

He was within inches of the goalline and they marked him 1 1/2 yards back.

If you're saying forward progress shouldn't have come into play, I disagree. First, according to NFL rules, it's a judgement call so there's no way it can be settled. BUT, Faulk did not make a move to break away on his own, he was knocked back. Presumably, a team could keep knocking a guy back and continue disengaging with him until he fell down. I've seen this happen multiple times on plays when teams are running the ball out of their end zone. A player dives, say, to the 1 yard line, but he's tossed back into the end zone unengaged. Then he's tackled in the end zone.

When that happens, it's not a safety unless he's the one that tried to break away.

Last edited:

Overly generous? How so?

He was within inches of the goalline and they marked him 1 1/2 yards back.

Overly generous because one could make a good argument they should have marked him at the 3. Marking him at the 1.5 made no sense. They should have either marked him at the 1/2-line (where he caught it) or marked him at the 3 (he was knocked back to the 4, but recovered his balance and took a step to the 3 where he was tackled -- that's probably enough to reset the forward progress line). But not at the 1.5.

I thought that they were overly generous on the Faulk spot. At the very least he definitely didn't cross the plane.

If I was wrong about the rules, you're probably right -- I was going by the fact that he was practically at the goal line when he was intitially hit, stopping his forward progress.

If that "re-sets" because he starts running, then the spot (which was at the one) wasn't necessarily bad and could well have been generous.

You want some cheese with that whine? The ball to price was behind and Price was the one that had to adjust not the DB. Since when is tackling high and not grabbing the facemask a penalty? They missed the Polamalu punch but its not reviewable so there isn't anything they could do about it. The only terrible call was Gronks TD.

ball to Price -- absolutely was behind. but there was still contact by the DB, and he wasn't going for the ball. There was a similar play by a pats DB earlier this year that was called interference, and underthrown balls are often the cause of interference penalties against defenders.

Tacking high -- when you a guy's head gets yanked around, especially in the NFL today, there are often penalty calls. I don't think it was a facemask, and 5 years ago I would have said it's not a penalty, just an inadvertent part of a clean tackle. With all the calls for hits on the head now, though, I don't think it's at all clear whether it's a penalty.

Anytime a football team loses, you can go onto any of its fan forums and like clockwork, you'll find threads like this. Cut it out, guys. The refs had nothing to do with this loss.

Anytime a football team loses, you can go onto any of its fan forums and like clockwork, you'll find threads like this. Cut it out, guys. The refs had nothing to do with this loss.

Has anybody in this thread blamed the refs?

do i blame the refs ? no way. am i going to ignore what i see ? no way.

losers blame the refs.

Is this an appropriate post for anybody, let alone a moderator?

Just wondering.

The refs were horrible yesterday. On both sides of the ball. Of course as pats fans we are more likely to remember the ones that go against the pats.

They weren't ready for the Game. I liked the fact that the announcers mentioned that BB was worried about the game because he had noticed that most teams had played poorly this year after their bye. That's basically the only thing they said that I liked tho.

ball to Price -- absolutely was behind. but there was still contact by the DB, and he wasn't going for the ball. There was a similar play by a pats DB earlier this year that was called interference, and underthrown balls are often the cause of interference penalties against defenders.

Tacking high -- when you a guy's head gets yanked around, especially in the NFL today, there are often penalty calls. I don't think it was a facemask, and 5 years ago I would have said it's not a penalty, just an inadvertent part of a clean tackle. With all the calls for hits on the head now, though, I don't think it's at all clear whether it's a penalty.

The ball to price was behind and there was contact with the DB who had positioning. When the ball is in the air nobody has more of an advantage than the other. Similarly Ben was complaining about a 3rd and goal play were Ihedigbo had positioning on the the receiver and there was contact. The refs were pretty consistent with contact being called (or going uncalled).

Tackling high isn't a penalty. Polamalu didn't lead with his helmet, launch himself, make contact with the helmet and or grab the facemask. Welker wasn't a defenseless receiver either, he was a runner at that point. There is no rule for awkward tackling and thats all that was.

The refs were horrible yesterday. On both sides of the ball.

I'd apply that to the whole season. I don't know what is a penalty or not anymore, because everything is just so darn inconsistent.

The ball to price was behind and there was contact with the DB who had positioning. When the ball is in the air nobody has more of an advantage than the other. Similarly Ben was complaining about a 3rd and goal play were Ihedigbo had positioning on the the receiver and there was contact. The refs were pretty consistent with contact being called (or going uncalled).

Tackling high isn't a penalty. Polamalu didn't lead with his helmet, launch himself, make contact with the helmet and or grab the facemask. Welker wasn't a defenseless receiver either, he was a runner at that point. There is no rule for awkward tackling and thats all that was.

Whether there is a rule against what he did or not, there should be. He launched himself through the air and used Welker's neck as the pivot point for a pendulum. He very easily could have broken his neck.

Not the first time of poor officiating as well as not the last. As they are also seem to be biased.

I'd apply that to the whole season. I don't know what is a penalty or not anymore, because everything is just so darn inconsistent.

I'd agree about the whole season but yesterdays crew was one of the worst in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back