PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Idle Thoughts- The "I'm just another spoiled Pats fan edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

patfanken

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Well today, I put all the window fans away, and bought an air conditioner cover, and sat down to watch the Expendables 2, on TNT. Pretty good movie, at least it was better than what the NFL was showing. You see, these days, while I wait for the Pats to come on, I watch the NFL during the commercials, but not at the expense of missing anything from a B movie that I've seen at least twice. THAT's how bad the product is these days and why its gone from being can't miss TV, to "what else is on" TV.

So based on what little I saw in the brief snippets I really haven't missed much. I don't think the London game was even on. I watched a bit of Minnesota/Philly. I probably only watched about 3 minutes and saw 3 turnovers, and turned it off. I watched the same amount of time of the Bills/Dolphins (there were a lot of commercials ;) ) and saw about 60 yards in penalties. Later, I watched the end of the game and saw ANOTHER 60 yards of penalties in the last 3 minutes. On the other hand, the Bills not only lost the game, they lost their offense when they rushed McCoy back and he got hurt again. Stupid, stupid Rex.

So enough musings, let's get started

1. So we are on the road, in a tough environment, playing a good team who had to play an experienced back up QB, and won the game going away by 2 scores.....and ALL I can remember were the bad plays. :eek: By definition that makes me a spoiled Pats fan. Winning ugly is NOT an option anymore for us fans. Actually it wasn't all ugly, more like far from the perfection we've come to expect.

2. Offense:

a. OL- Except for two series to start the 2nd half, the OL played very well. Certainly it wasn't perfect, but you have to set the bar slightly lower for away games, especially in stadiums where the crown noise is a factor. It will always give the pass rush a half second advantage on the OL.

b. However for the most part they gave Brady the time he needed either to throw in rhythm or gave him room to move in the pocket to buy time. Most importantly you could see them start to open some holes against the front 7. This is critical because you can see that decent defenses CAN at least inhibit our passing offense with a well schemed plan. However, if they go nickel and dime to do that, the OL/running game HAS to make them pay with a successful running attack. I think we are starting to see some progress in that area.

BTW- no mention of Marcus Cannon again during this game, I will be interested in seeing how PFF grades him this week. Seemed like another solid job. Solder had that horrible series to start the 2nd half, but came back strong after that.

c. TE's Bennett and Gronk both blocked very well. Gronk was spectacular as usual. Interesting that while Gronk once again averaged over 20 yds per catch, most of his production came in the 2nd half....again. Marty only got 1 catch, but who knows next week. Maybe he can write a book about it. ;)

d. WR's - Edelman was more of a factor in this game with 9 catches, but also had a bad drop. Hogan had the fumble, but I can't blame him. The LB (Timmons I think) made a great blindside hit on the play, and you can make the case that if they had ruled him down they wouldn't have overturned it either, it was THAT close. That wasn't bad ball security, that was a great hit. Once again Mitchell wasn't targeted, but then again neither was DA. BTW- all our WR's are excellent and willing run blockers.

e. RB's - LGB was great. Not Bell great, or David Johnson great, but just a notch below. He's currently 5th in the league in rushing yds with over 560, which I think his impressive since he's playing on a prolific pass first offense. White did his usual solid pass catching job, and I'm happy they didn't ask him to rush the ball. I was a bit surprised they didn't throw to him a bit more, but I guess that was the plan. Boldin had a bad drop 3rd down drop and was horrible on ST's NOT his finest hour.

f. QB - Brady was great....again. He had a 73% completion rate, despite 3 drops, and his pocket presence, and movement within that pocket looks better than it has in years. The man RAN for 3 first downs at 39. Who would have thunk. His passing yards were down, but I thought this was one of his better games. Once again he looked like he was in total control. Sorry Jimmy. You look like you should be a starting QB in the NFL, but just not on THIS team.

3. Defense:

a. DL/LB's - I think Leveon Bell is one of the top 3 RB's in the league. Some of the runs he made in HEAVY traffic were simply superb. It looked like he was shredding our run defense. That's because he made so many of those runs that turned a loss into a 5 yd gain. So in the end, in the run game he averaged a solid but pedestrian 3.9 yds/carry. In fact he was lot more effective in their passing game and was their 2nd best receiver with 10 for 68 yds. But despite Bell being great, he also was under control. He was "effective" but didn't hurt us.

b. But the pass rush didn't exist tonight. A lot of that was by design, especially late, by only rushing 3. Most of the night when we rushed only 4, but rarely got close. Even on those rare occasions we did rush 5, it didn't seem to have much effect. And to add to the frustration, the ONE time we got to the QB, he somehow escaped, like so many have before.

Well at first I joined the chorus decrying our lack of a pass rush, but by the time I started writing this after midnight, I started to wonder if somehow this was part of some great design and I'm just not getting it. I mean, the end result was the defense allowing just 16 points....again. More on this later.

c. Secondary - ABrown had 106 receiving yds, most of which came at the expense of Malcolm Butler, and I can safely say that this was Butler's best game of the year. Half of that yardage came on one play, and for the most part Butler won his share of the battles, including his pick. He looked like is feisty, competitive self at last. And god, for a midget, he truly is a good, hard hitting tackler. He doesn't just take receivers to the ground, he's looking to hammer them. BTW- after the game Butler and Brown spent more time than usual visiting after the game. A lot of mutual respect there. BTW- I'm glad Brown came back. It looked really bad when he was down on the sidelines. He's just too good a player and a joy to watch. You DON't want to see a guy like that hurt.

Eric Rowe got more snaps and showed more impact in this game. So far so good on this trade. Chung was solid again as well as the rest of the secondary. Only one big play (and it was a beautiful throw) and there was a lot of garbage time yards at the end.

d. When you think of the great defenses you think of teams like Seattle or Broncos who smother you, and beat you up physically, and constantly put pressure on your QB. Well we don't have that here. Yet I'm wondering if what we DO have is just as effective, but just not as flashy. Because somehow we are averaging just over 15 points per game. And while we aren't creating the TO's we'd like to see, we DID get off the field on 70% of our 3rd downs, and improved our red zone efficiency. Progress.

e. The other thing to think about this defense is that over the year's nearly ALL of the Pats defenses seemed to get better as the year went along. The best example I can think of was the 2011 defense that was HISTORICALLY bad in giving up yards, especially early in the season, but improved a great deal towards the end. In fact IIRC they had the 2nd best scoring defense that playoffs (Giants were #1), and the 5th best in total yds per game. Not bad for a regular season D that really sucked, but improved a lot when they played against the best teams in the league. The point being, that we should be confident that whatever you think you are seeing now, you should be confident that it WILL get better as the season goes along.

4. Special teams -

a. Now this was simply just bad on EVERY level.

b. The KO coverage allowed every short kick to get past the 25

c. The pun coverage allowed a great kick to slip into the endzone TWICE. Once on a Boldin muff, and once when Boldin slowed down. And because the Steelers started that drive at the 20 instead of the 4, they were able to grab 3 important points.

e. Allen had a 24 yd punt that gave the Steelers great field position at the 46. though aside from this punt, Allen was once again excellent

f. And then we had the Edelman fumble on the punt return, and that WAS poor ball security.

g. And oh by the way, did I mention Gotskowski missed ANOTHER extra point. :eek:

h. So in summary, this was a horrible job from top to bottom, by the unit that has, up to this point, been our most consistently successful group.

5. General thoughts

a. So Steeler fans can go online and tell us that the refs sucked, or we barely beat their JV's ( and we'd probably do the same if the situations were reversed ;) ). But essentially we went to Pittsburgh and gave them our B game and still won by 11.

b. We are, at this point, uncomfortably healthy. It seems like its been so long that we've been without some tragic injuries, that I'm not sure how to react. Here's hoping that it lasts.

c. I can't help but notice that, what should have been the best game of the day, Seattle/AZ, ended in a 6-6 tie. Boy THAT must have been a thrilling game to watch. :rolleyes: I know I turned it off sometime during the 3rd period when it was 3-0 AZ. I'm enjoying the Pats games, but what little I've seen or heard about from most of the league, is that too many of these game are NOT entertaining. As Pats fans were are seeing some outstanding offense, to go along with some effective defense.

d. There were again several, "I'm so glad BB is my HC" moments in this game as well. BB may respect Mike Tomlin, but aside from building tough, hard nosed football teams, he really sucks at game management. He made a really stupid challenge to start the game, and followed it up with an unfathomable decision to go for a 54 yd FG instead of 4th and 2 when you have the best RB in the league. All I could think of when I saw the FG team go on the field was THANK YOU, Mike.

e. I don't know who this crew was, but overall I liked them. I thought the PF on the Steelers was weak. And I thought the PF on Hightower was a make up call. Neither flag should have been thrown. It was close, but I had no problem with the fumble call on Hogan, and the holding calls on Mason and Solder, were legit. They missed a couple of bad holds on our DL, but they also missed the hand grab by Ryan. I can live with missed calls if they are even.

f. Sorry, I hate the Jets as much as the next guy, but it was just TOO sweet to see the Ravens fall for the 4th time in a row. Who knows it might even knock a little smugness off of Harbaugh and the rest of Raven Nation. Also Fitz's post game comments about his coaches and owners, was simply priceless. The Jets are truly in disarray DESPITE the win. It's like the best of both worlds.

g. When I read that McCoy was going to play in Miami, I was surprised they wouldn't rest him and have him at 100% for the Pats, especially since they were playing the lowly Dolphins. And again the best of both worlds, McCoy got injured and won't be at full strength against us, and they lost the game TOO. Thanks Rex.

I actually was happy for Bills fans during their 4 game win streak, and expected them to make it five. It would have made our inevitable crushing of them next week even sweeter. Ah well, it will STILL be pretty damned sweet anyway.

BTW- the Pats won the penalty yardage battle for only the 2nd time this season 40-82, so we got that going for us. But unfortunately we lost the TO battle 2-1.

Summary - We SHOULD be happier about this win, but we are spoiled Patriots fans and winning an away game against a good rival isn't enough anymore. OMG, we have all turned into BB, and only perfection or a Lombardi will make us happy in the end. ;)

OK, I'm getting sleepy. That should be enought to start the conversation going. I look forward to your comments and adding observations that I missed.

Last edited:
Great write up!

I think the LB who hit Hogan was Jarvis Jones. He also gave Solder fits on that one drive.

I thought Chung was outstanding in the 2nd half - made some really good plays in coverage and good shots on Bell. He seemed to show up more after he was shaken up on a play.

Last edited:
Have to look at it again, but I have the initial impression that they were rushing three / primarily DT rush more than usual with the game plan in the passing game being trying to force Landry Jones to beat us deep, which he really only did on one drive (the one that ended in a TD to Heyward-Bey). From what I saw they also weren't blitzing the LBs up the middle like in the second half against Cincinnati where they did that rather often. Right now I am a bit cconcerned about the pass rush, specifically that too often they fail to finish the play. I have no idea how Sheard missed that sack.

In the run game I thought the team did a good job despite Bell working positive yardage the entire game, especially when you consider that the team was down to two run-stopping DTs. Bell is just incredible, I'm mostly impressed by his patience. He never rushes anything, just waits patiently until a small window opens and then forces himself through. I think any other average RB wouldn't have gotten more than 3-3.5 YPC yesterday.

EDIT
BTW- no mention of Marcus Cannon again during this game, I will be interested in seeing how PFF grades him this week. Seemed like another solid job. Solder had that horrible series to start the 2nd half, but came back strong after that.
PFF graded him at 84.2, the third-highest Patriots offensive player after Gronk (89.1) and Brady (85.9). In terms of overall Patriots players he was sixth, Butler was graded at 92.0, Collins at 87.6 and Chung at 84.7. No Steeler was graded higher than 82.4 (Jarvis Jones).

But again, it's PFF, so their exact numbers don't mean much, but Cannon indeed continued his good play.

Last edited:
Thanks for another fine write up, Ken. Always a great part of my day when I see your take on the game.here's my take on the defense, from an overall, up top looking down, sort of view.

I know that Patricia and his assistants go to great lengths to game plan the D for each opponent, for each game. That's a good thing and it's necessary to try and learn your opponent's tells before you meet up.

Having said that,game planning and then execution are like the difference between book smart and street smart. You have to be on the field to get a handle on just HOW the opponent is coming at you, how their parts are working (or NOT working) together, etc.

What I'm leading up to is that for a couple years now, I get a sense that our defense is like a pack of raptors. They are hovering around the offense, seeing how it's going about it's business, and learning, waiting, waiting patiently to find that weakness, that opening, before striking.

That's our defense. They start with a mental idea of the opponents abilities, and then begin most games with a vanilla scheme, slowly adding this piece, or that piece, mostly through the 1st half. Come the third quarter, they strike.

Personally, I like it. Sure, being able to bring a serious pass rush from the opening minutes would be nice, but I'd rather have a defense that learns on the move, and doesn't wear itself out quickly.

Anyway, that's enough of a ramble. I can't sleep due to pain issues, so I figured I'd riff through the threads and see what's being talked about.

OL- Except for two series to start the 2nd half, the OL played very well.

I put them more at a split grade. Run blocking it was a great game and while the Steelers didn't get many sacks, they weren't really superb in pass pro.

Similar to our own fandom obsession with "if I don't see sacks the Pats defense sucks"; the middle of the line was and is vulnerable. Most any other quarterback than Brady might've taken 3-4 additional sacks yesterday, but he's so good at moving in the pocket and getting rid of the ball that he dodged some pretty clean rushers to either deliver a pass or at least get the incompletion.

The past two weeks, middling "sacks" teams (Pitt is DEAD LAST! 2016 NFL Team Defense Stats - National Football League - ESPN) have harassed the Hell out of the Patriots with just four coming. The Jets, Buffalo and Denver are much better DL fronts (and maybe even initial 2-3 sec coverage) than Cinci or Pitt.

Thanks Ken. I appreciate your write ups and if you sometimes come across as a know it all well it seems like you know a lot so it's not bragging if you can back it up. And someone has to put it out there. Glad you do. Thanks.

Maybe for a different thread but I believe the Pats have covered every week?

Again, first post I read the morning after a game. Great analysis! Thanks

Great take as usual, Ken...

I did not watch any NFL games prior to the Pats game yesterday, instead went to the next door neighbors youth football game.. great fun with limited resources, organized football in its purest..

I thought, and this might be heresy, that Brady for the first seemed somewhat out of sync with his receivers.. he seemed to focus on the short stuff with Edelman and ignored a lot of other opportunities.I do not want to simplify this, but Edelman becomes too predictable..

Also think that a win on the road such as this is never a "pretty" win as there are no style points in the NFL.. only W's & L's... Blount is a beast. #12 "running" for 3 firsts downs.. wow!!!

Gostkowski and even Allen to a lesser degree, we have been so spoiled so long tough to watch their faux pas can be painful..

At 1 PM on Sunday, my wife happened to have the TV on for the 1st quarter of the Vikings / Eagles comedy of errors and her one and only statement was ... "What crappy football" and my response was...."The whole league is crap" ...... and at times , the Pats contributed to the slapstick theme of the day.
But let's remember....

1) It's not supposed to be easy
2) Pittsburg is the rare quality opponent that happens to possess the NFLS's best WR and RB...IMHO
3) Road victories are earned
4) Mission accomplished
5) The sixth box was ticked......now onto Buffalo

Thoughts:
TB12 looks better than ever. The over the top strike to Gronk for the TD was the type of pass Brady often over throws ...but not this year. Loved his pocket presence all day.

Blount is playing possessed this year and hats off to the left side of the OL for clearing space for the big back.

Pitt fans should be pissed today. Refs missed some PI calls that hurt them. Kicker missed 6 points that hurt them. And their coaches rely too much on Antonio Brown and the excessive punishment the guy takes is a bad long term strategy

Regarding Ghost...... I'm convinced that his routine has been disrupted this year as he is being asked to kick shorter, arching kickoffs instead of straight boomers through the end zone. Muscle memory gets interrupted with two totally different styles

The lack of NE pass rush is glaring and will cost this team down the road.

Solder's inability to contain one-on-one speed rushers will cost this team down the road

Now let's go up to Buffalo and wreck Wrecks and crush any "hope" their fan base may possess. Natural order must be maintained.

I know I am spoiled because I go on other fans sites and they are saying we are not quite as "invincible" looking, and a little less "surgical" than we used to be and it makes me angry. That is how I know I am spoiled, how dare they think are not nearly as "invincible" as we used to be.

I was on the road for the 1pm games, and recorded the Pats game, so when I got home around 6pm, I just tuned into that and then saw a 0-0 tie for SNF and turned off football for the night. So, yeah, I hear ya there.

As for the pass rush, it's a concern. There's not a lot of push, but they were constantly rushing three or four against five. I only noticed two or maybe three blitzes the whole game, so it seems a bit schematic. At the same time, all that time makes it tough on man-coverage.

Butler had a much better game than he did during last year's opener. If I recall, he allowed a 5/9, 99 yards, INT against Brown. That's pretty damned decent, considering 51 yards came on one play.

EDIT - I'm now finally getting concerned about Ghost. He's earned our patience and then some, but it's still a little worrying. I actually said, right before the extra point he missed, "don't **** this up" :confused:

White did his usual solid pass catching job, and I'm happy they didn't ask him to rush the ball.

Great job as usual, Ken.

I know stats don't tell the full story, and with White, sample size is small, but a quick stats comparison to the Patriots benchmark for "third down backs", the great Kevin Faulk, yields the following:

Kevin: 13 seasons; games 161;
rushing yds 3607; passing yds 3701; total yds 7308; rushing TDs 16; passing TDs 15; Fumbles 25;

Kevin per game (career average)
rushing yds 22.41; passing yds 22.99; total yds 45.40; rushing TDs 0.10; passing TDs 0.10; Fumbles 0.16;

James: ~2.5 seasons; games 24;
rushing yds 186; passing yds 677; total yds 863; rushing TDs 2; passing TDs 7; Fumbles 0;

James per game (career average)
rushing yds 7.75; passing yds 28.21; total yds 35.96; rushing TDs 0.09; passing TDs 0.30; Fumbles 0.0;

If he sustains his current average for 13 seasons (admittedly a huge IF), he is on pace for twice as many TDs as Kevin though only 78% of total yards. Thus far he has been careful with the ball.

IMO: I submit that James White is currently something more than "solid". He's off to a good start.

I know things are changing when I'd rather watch an English Premier League soccer game head-to-head in the NFL on a Sunday. Never would have thought that could be true. It really makes me wonder how people in London could sit through a Rams-Giants game while Chelsea was taking on Manchester United.

Mitchell was targeted once with a long bomb, I don't think Brady was pleased, because he took a hard hit and Mitchell gave up running on the ball for some reason.

That's our defense. They start with a mental idea of the opponents abilities, and then begin most games with a vanilla scheme, slowly adding this piece, or that piece, mostly through the 1st half. Come the third quarter, they strike.

Personally, I like it. Sure, being able to bring a serious pass rush from the opening minutes would be nice, but I'd rather have a defense that learns on the move, and doesn't wear itself out quickly.

I've kind of gotten that sense about them too sometimes. That they don't like to overplay their hand early, and try to build as much flexibility during the week as they can so they can adapt, rather than scramble on the fly.

That said, I think that's a strategy that is contingent on having an offense that you trust 100%. If they didn't feel like Tom Brady was going to give them close to 30 points every game, or that he didn't have the ability to bring them back if their plan doesn't gain traction right away, I bet they'd be devising more aggressive gameplans. I think that's why you see teams coming up with really good "blueprints" against the Patriots, because they HAVE to be innovative and aggressive from beginning to end, or the game will be over in the first half.

Good write up and wow when you list out line by line the special team failures yesterday, it really was a hot mess lucky it didnt cost us, they barely did anything right.

I'd just like to agree that the game was terribly officiated, for both teams. I also don't think that Tomlin's challenge was terrible, it could have been ruled incomplete.

Secondary has to play better and the pass rush has to be more effective. I don't know how the game would have been different with Rothlesburger, but Jones played fairly well. Maybe Ben throws the ball down the field more often, takes more chances...that could have led to more turnovers......Bell was pretty beastly.

the pats defense managed to force Bell to underperform while mostly playing nickel personnel

they were short on DT's

Eric Rowe played every defensive snap.....they must like him

I don't watch any other NFL team other than the Lions. Yeah , i'm still a Lions fan because when i was younger NE didn't have a team. But if the Pats and Lions were on at the same time I'd watch the Pats.
I stepped away from the TV for awhile yesterday and spent some time in the kitchen getting dinner going.
It seemed every time the announcers got real excited it was because the Steelerls just did something good.
I didn't notice that as much until i was away from video and could only hear what was going on.

I have to give the zebras their due on the OPI that most times would have been against Rowe.

I haven't watched on non-Patriots snap this season or any other NFL programming. If Mara and company thought it would end at court cost for their petty war they were shortsighted as usual.

Butler is 5'11, he's not a midget.

Aside from the Greg Hardys of the world, John Harbaugh is my most disliked NFL figure. Any time he loses is great.

Buffalo fans are just as bad as any regarding the way they talk about NE, you should never be happy for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes